Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock tool!

Bigpops

In over 35 years of shooting I have never seen a need to disassemble an auto pistol magazine for cleaning. All I've ever done is soak them in a 2 pound coffee can full of either clean Kerosene, or else WD-40 which is available in gallon cans at Home Depot or Lowe's very reasonably. It also smells better than Kerosene. After letting them soak I then blow them out with compressed air. This leaves them almost dry to the touch with just a very thin coating on the inner portion of the magazine itself, and the spring. WD-40 or Kerosene will not attack plastic, and is very good as a cleaning solvent. Small, portable air compressors are available from places like Harbor Freight quite inexpensively. They are all but indispensable in gun cleaning. Bill T.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the reviews here and checking out their website, I bought it. Yes, I could have just cut the tabs off. Yes, I could just suck it up and fight to get the floorplates off. After getting it and trying it out, it definitely works as advertised. I will use it for periodic cleanings, maybe once or twice a year at home. I'll probably throw it in the big range bag just for insurance. I've been to a match where the mud was so deep people were concerned about LOSING their mags in the muck, not just cleaning them out. I chuckle at matches where guys are taking their mags apart after every stage. Thats part of the reason I shoot a Glock, it just plain works. At the above described mud match, I just found a deep puddle with some water on the top and swished the mags out, banged out the water on a table, and was ready to go. Had I had my new fangled super duper ultimate Glock mag tool, I would have used it that day.

As a side note, I found you can slide the tool over the brush and it kinda locks in place. Hopefully it will keep me from losing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the tool and have used it at a recent match. Works great, just as advertised. It's much better than the slip jointed pliers I'd use and which would scar up my magazines. Clean mags are a must for .40 mags stuffed with 20 rounds. Just a little bit of grit will slow the feeding enough to cause FTF.

Got one today. It definately works as advertised. Had the mag disassembled in less than 30 seconds with no effort at all. The GTUL is a must for the range bag of anyone who shoots Glocks.

Edited by burntcrispy

I've been shooting a Glock exclusively for 4 years in Production, and I can honestly say I've never taken one of my mags apart, and I shot the mudbowl Nationals in 2007. That year I was rinsing my mags out in puddles when they got covered in mud. Don't know which mags I rinsed out, don't care, they all work. For gravel, etc, you turn the mag upside down, push in the follower, and shake. Some mags springs are heavier than others, hasn't affected function. I also only clean my Glock about twice a year whether it needs it or not--compared with shooting lead out of a single stack, jacketed bullets out of a Glock just ain't dirty. BTW, Master class, and I won an Area match last year with that dirty gun.

I got mine yesterday and I used it at once.

I have used my Glock 17 for two years and the previous owner as well, neither of us has cleaned the mags (4 mags).

They where surprisingly clean inside, so all it took was a quick stroke with the brush and I wiped the follower with a towel and then reassembled the mags again.

I now think this is going to be a "once a year" maintenance and the tool is going with me in the range bag for sure.

The video on the GTUL web site is honest, it's really that easy to use! and Greg who runs the business is really helpful and nice to do business with.

I like it!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got one.

My personal impression:

The punch on the end of the brush works better than the plain steel punch I used before because it is thinner and had a rounded rather than a sharp edged tip (easier to work under the base plate).

I didn't need to Gtul itself - the punch on the brush worked by itself on all the mags I tried, both old ones and new ones (did the latter to be sure that it wasn't that I'd used my own punch to "break in" the base plate retaining ears).

YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the Gtul - got mine yesterday, and it works much better than a pair of

channel-locks!

Nice work Greg!

Thank you too, for your contributions to the Area 1 Prize table

and support of the shooting sports.

Edited by Tim Egan

I for one will end up buying one. I don't take my glock mags apart that often but I hate useing the chenel-locks, rag(to keep for maring) and glock tool. I do hope it works on ten rounders to. my hi-caps have dawson pads but my tens all have stock pads.

I don't get it. I used to think taking them apart was a pain, then I watched a how-to vid on youtube. Now I just grab a punch and pop, it's apart. I did have to do it a few times to get the knack. The last thing I want is yet again another piece of gear to carry in my range bag.

• 6 months later...
Once I got the hang of removing the baseplates with the standard armorer's tool, it's never been an issue for me. YMMV.

Curtis

+1 I just had to see for myself how hard a glock mag is to get apart. So I took a brand new factory mag, I stuck a punch in and applied some pressure and the base plate came right off. I found a vid on youtube showing the procedure. Glad I did not spend the money on the gizmo.

Edited by sandman

Once I got the hang of removing the baseplates with the standard armorer's tool, it's never been an issue for me. YMMV.

Curtis

takes a little while to figure it out but like Curtis said after you get the hang of it it's no trick at all. i have heard the 10 round glock mags are much harder to get apart but i don't know. don't have any to try for myself.

+1 for the Gtul - got mine yesterday, and it works much better than a pair of

channel-locks!

Mine came in the mail today. It took 30 seconds or less after opening the package to remove my floorplate on my G19 mag. :cheers:

I had tried removing the baseplate from this new mag before and ended up saying &%$#(*__+@ several times, and it still didn't want to come off.

It is off and changed out now.

I was replacing the base plates on the G-19 mags with blue ones and the G-23 Mags with orange base plates. Trying not to add any more confusion to my life then is already there. :surprise: As the G22 and the G35 use the same mags they retain the black base plates.

Now I can open the gunroom cabinets and pick a color. :rolleyes:

I've used the red GTUL for a few months on my 9mm mags - It worked great. I just received the new green one for my 10mm mags, and have them all cleaned too.

Channel lock pliers may work for some, but I'm a pro at breaking things - so the GTUL has probably saved my mags and my temper....

• 6 months later...

Clean Glock magazines? Knock the dirt out of them and rinse them under the tap, sure, but take them apart and clean them? What's this world coming to?

+1 !

In 40 years of shooting I have never disassembled a magazine to clean it. For that matter a bolt from a bolt action rifle, or a Ruger Mark II, or Mark III .22 Pistol. Any or all never need disassembly unless they break. Come to think of it, I've never had that happen either. Bill T.