Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best follower for an SV magazine?

tk2

I've got a SV 140mm .40 cal tube I'm setting up for limited with a Dawson +1 plus base pad. My question is what is the best follower to use with this setup?

Thanks,

Tim

GRAMS- Unless you can make the Bolen work, but all I get

is a round under the follower with the Bolen. Some- that know

will tell ya the tube will have to be tuned for the Bolen to work!

But then again thats why I had my tubes tuned- now they all

work with Bolen or Grams! Good Luck :surprise:

Hello: I like the Dawson comp follower with ISMI spring. It may not give you that 21 round reloadable magic stuff but it will work everytime at 19 or 20. You have to grind the follower a bit so it comes all the way up in the SVI mags. You can try the SVI followers as well. The Grams springs just don't seem to last and the Bolen follower works great with there spring if the mag is correct. As you can see there is some magic to mags that run 100% :cheers: Thanks, Eric

The Grams set seems to be the way to go, I had the Dawson follower and ISMI spring set up and the follower would stick with about 8 rounds left in the mag. I just got a bolen follower and spring to try. On Manny's web site there is no mention that these springs and followers should be installed in tuned mags to work. Now I read on several posts that your mags should be tuned. Whats up with that? Is there anyway you can put a ISMI spring on a Grams follower?

The Grams set seems to be the way to go, I had the Dawson follower and ISMI spring set up and the follower would stick with about 8 rounds left in the mag. I just got a bolen follower and spring to try. On Manny's web site there is no mention that these springs and followers should be installed in tuned mags to work. Now I read on several posts that your mags should be tuned. Whats up with that? Is there anyway you can put a ISMI spring on a Grams follower?

Hello rooster,

The "Grams Follower Kit" is designed as a system of parts (follower and spring), to work as is, right out of the package. There is no reason to change the spring with something else that was not designed to work with the "Grams Format" follower/spring attachment. Any other brand of spring will need to be modified, to even get close to attaching to the follower, and in the end, you will have a combination of parts not designed to work with each other. If you want to modify, then go ahead. But I have done the R&D for you already. Reliability first, then increased capacity was the design process.

The tuning of a mag tube is usually done to fix a problem with the tube. Problems with the tube will cause unreliable feeding and decrease of capacity. Can brand new mag tubes have problems? You bet, and there are a lot of them out there. Can a good follower and spring make a bad tube work better? Yes it can, and the Grams Follower Kit usually does. Some tubes are of coarse unusable, and will not work with any brand of parts in them. But the main design criteria for my Follower Kit was to make it work for the masses, tuned or un-tuned tubes. Of coarse, if everything is put together perfectly, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Call me if you need any questions answered.

Thanks for all the great info. I think I will try both the grams follower kit and the bolen spring and follower and see which one works best in my mag.

With a 140mm mag and the dawson +1 plus SNA pad, it looks like I need the 13 coil spring. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks for all the great info. I think I will try both the grams follower kit and the bolen spring and follower and see which one works best in my mag.

With a 140mm mag and the dawson +1 plus SNA pad, it looks like I need the 13 coil spring. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Tim

Hey Tim,

11 coil kit on the Grams.

• 3 weeks later...

Just like to add, I understand the Bolens frustration now. I never seen it before till today. I loaded my new sv tube with 21, when I unloaded it, only 20 came out. I found the missing round under the follower when i disassembled it. I was not very happy , after paying all that money for the components that are supose to be the best, they turn out to be unusable. On a good note, I put the sv spring and follower with the Bolen base pad back in the tube, and I still get a super tight, but reliable 21.

Just like to add, I understand the Bolens frustration now. I never seen it before till today. I loaded my new sv tube with 21, when I unloaded it, only 20 came out. I found the missing round under the follower when i disassembled it. I was not very happy , after paying all that money for the components that are supose to be the best, they turn out to be unusable. On a good note, I put the sv spring and follower with the Bolen base pad back in the tube, and I still get a super tight, but reliable 21.

FWIW: I had the same trouble look here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=921888

Now I have a tuned mag with Grams guts that will hold reloadable 20 and the others with Bolen guts I only put 19 in.

I will eventually have all tuned mags with Grams guts.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Team GE thanks for your input, your kit is the way to go period. The Bolen follower and spring did not work in my mag, so know I am out about 26.00 buckeroos. I only asked about the ISMI springs because I had some left over that did not work with a Dawson follower. I thought I might be able to get some use out of them if I could somehow adapt to your follower.

Man I wish I had read these post before I bought the 10 pack of Bolen springs and followers for my SV mags. :(

If the product does not work, call the maufacture for advise. If they can not solve the problem, then you should be able to send them back. ;)