Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

There is no shortage of primers...

Cy Soto

No Sir, there is absolutely no shortage of primers. You can find all the primers you need on Gunbroker (if you are willing to pay what they are going for).

I am amazed to see that there are people willing to pay over $100 for a box of primers. Makes me want to sell the last 4,000 Federal SP's that I am down to.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listed 5,000 CCI BR2 Large Rifle Match Primers. If they don't sell here they are going to GunBroker! :surprise: I recently gave a buddy 6,500 CCI BR4 Small Rifle Match Primers, about 100 139gr Lapua Scenar .260 bullets, and about 250 pieces of virgin sorted .260 brass in trade for a pair of $70 (his cost) Oakley sunglasses. I should have sold the primers and bought 5 pairs of glasses!

I saw CCI large pistol for $24/1000 2 days ago.

I bought CCI small rifle at Wlly world for $3.09/ 100 I'm guessing the shortage is regional. I do think those who are gouging will get theirs. :angry2:

The local club normally has WSP's, WSR's, etc for $23 per 1K, but I heard today they were all out. All they have left are shotgun primers, which IIRC are running $28 a K. Maybe that is a good deal. I dunno.

Not to toot my own horn... but I saw this coming about a year and half ago, and planned accordingly. :ph34r:

I knew something was up when I had to wait about 3 months for my Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit for a 1911, and then wait another 4 months for my Star lubesizer.

Another clue was when places like Midway started putzing around with the prices on the RCBS Pro Melt furnaces.

I don't think I was gouging anyone with what I was asking for my primers. I put them here on Enos before going to the auction site where I could raise top dollar for them. I did an even swap cost wise for what the 210M's just cost me in today's market. I have seen folks getting 100% mark up on their primers, and that is not what I wanted to do. Just wanted to present a fair deal, and I think I did.

I don't think I was gouging anyone with what I was asking for my primers. I put them here on Enos before going to the auction site where I could raise top dollar for them. I did an even swap cost wise for what the 210M's just cost me in today's market. I have seen folks getting 100% mark up on their primers, and that is not what I wanted to do. Just wanted to present a fair deal, and I think I did.

I don't think you price was out of line. For benchrest primers when they supply is low it seemed fine to me. When I talk about gouging, I'm not talking about someone who sells a handfull of boxes. I'm talking about someone who sells at a much higher markup than they did a little while ago. For instance if the wholesale price goes up 20% and instead of raising your price 20% you raise your price 100%, that's the sort of thing I'm talking about. Prices are high everywhere, but when someone starts asking ridiculously high prices is not cool. I know, I know, the price is what the market will bear. But when one guy has primers for $31 and another in the same area has them for $80, guess which one gets my business next time around.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't trying to bash you in any way.

Once in while a guy can score though. My job takes me to some really out of the way places. Six weeks ago I stopped at a little "Mom & Pop" general store and spotted 4 bricks of WSP in the old white boxes and asked the price, $12.49 each. Unfortunately, that's all they had. Right now primers here are typically ur around $25-$30 per K.

I found Federal SP here locally for $62/1K. Marked down to $305 for the case.... I don't know if I said what I was thinking out loud or not, or if I kept my thoughts to myself as I walked out the door. It was a creative use of four letter words and a reference to street slang for procreating with one's own rectum.

I give.... no comeback anytime soon for me until I secure at least 2 cases at realistic prices.

This past week I was able to purchase 35K of WSP primers. With shipping and Hazmat it was around $30/1000. Don't know that I need that many but got what I could while I could. If I decide not to keep/use all of them, then they'll go to the local match and be offered to other shooters for around the $30 that I paid for them. I would rather help other shooters stay in the game than to make a one time "killing". I know one shooter who was down to his last 1000 who will definately appreciate getting his hands on enough to shoot for a few months.

I don't like people hoarding but I understand the tough decision of how many to try to keep on hand to ensure you can continue to shoot. As for gougers, hang 'em all!!!

Just paid $140 for 4,000 wspm at the Indianapolis 1500 gunshow, and $90 for 3,000 cci small pistol at a local gunshop. I have 5,000 wsr coming from Powder Valley, but don't know when. I'll shoot them all before my season is over. I feel kinda like I'm adding to the problem, but what's a shooter suppose to do. I only got enough for the season.

Three or four thousand isn't hording. Heck, in this game 10K on the shelf isn't hording and 20K most likely isn't IMO. I'll go through 6 to 8K rounds and I only shoot a couple matches a month. A lot of people who are shooting 3 or 4 (or more) matches need 20K+ a year. The "horders" are the people who went out and bought 80, 90, 100K and shoot 1 or 2K a year. They did it knowing full well that they wouldn't need more than a box or two and a sleeve/case would last them three years or more but they bought everything they could get their hands on, with either the intention of hording it up or selling it at a huge mark up just to make a buck. Those people are the problem. :angry2:

I just checked the prices on GunBroker.com a moment ago and the prices are ALL really high...! Acck. :surprise: Plus you need to consider shipping and any other fees connected to this item. God Almightly.....

And, on top of that, our neighborhood Wal*Mart does NOT carry reloading supplies. However, regional chain Bi-Mart does, but, again, their shelves are bare and they've been expecting a shipment of reloading stuff for a couple of weeks and haven't seen anything arrive. Damn.

This morning I put myself on a waiting list for primers thru a friend just outside of town who has a shop where he specializes in reloading. I guess I now shoot less and wait more. <_<

Three or four thousand isn't hording. Heck, in this game 10K on the shelf isn't hording and 20K most likely isn't IMO. I'll go through 6 to 8K rounds and I only shoot a couple matches a month. A lot of people who are shooting 3 or 4 (or more) matches need 20K+ a year. The "horders" are the people who went out and bought 80, 90, 100K and shoot 1 or 2K a year. They did it knowing full well that they wouldn't need more than a box or two and a sleeve/case would last them three years or more but they bought everything they could get their hands on, with either the intention of hording it up or selling it at a huge mark up just to make a buck. Those people are the problem. :angry2:

you're right on that

Supply and demand. They are only worth what people are willing pay for them. Sooner or later, the demand will drop along with the price hopefully.

Over on another popular 'rifle' forum, people are going CRAZY for large rifle primers and accusing everyone of gouging and hording.

Edited by Chris