Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looks like I'm going to have to start using my WSR for my production loads.....

Anyone want to trade small rifle for small pistol?

<_< humm 18 mpg in my truck.....1,600 miles.... <_<

I have 5000 WSPP I would love to trade for WSRP

Edited by AlamoShooter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets worse. Apparently, the DOD has issued a new directive mandating no more sales of military brass to ammo re-manufacturing companies. They apparently have opted to destroy the brass rather than sell it. So the brass shortage deepens along with the primer problem.

It gets worse. Apparently, the DOD has issued a new directive mandating no more sales of military brass to ammo re-manufacturing companies. They apparently have opted to destroy the brass rather than sell it. So the brass shortage deepens along with the primer problem.

I saw this yesterday and immediately sat down and wrote my two senators and congressman. Everyone should send a letter to have this decision reversed.

I hate to beat the drum too, but we went through this in the early 90s.......It took about a year to even out. I remember paying $27perK for Federal primers......I never spent another dime at that SOB's shop...... :angry:

I learned to buy in quantity so I wouldnt be caught short in case it happened again....This is always the tough time of the year anyway when people have their tax money and buy components, and now there is not a lot in the pipeline.....I undertand the frustration.

Once everyone burns through their disposable income and doesn't have more to spend on it this should level out...

I hope there is nothing else sinister going on..... :ph34r:

DougC

This is a rumor going around resulting from people not digging into the issue enough. There is actually a provision for resale of brass:

DOD 4715.4 authorizes QRPs to recycle firing-range scrap consisting of expended

brass and mixed metals gleaned from firing range clearance through direct sales or

consignment to DRMS [Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service]. Mixed metals gleaned from firing range clean up are defined

as material (e.g., shrapnel) which is in a form that is unrecognizable from its original

configuration and does not require further DEMIL. For information, the DOD

Instruction requires that generators in CONUS who choose to sell expended brass

through direct sale must mutilate it by crushing, shredding, cutting, tearing, scratching

crushing, breaking, punching, shearing, burning, neutralizing, etc., or otherwise

destroy it prior to sale. If generators sell expended brass through DRMS there is no

mutilation requirement. The rule for OCONUS is different. OCONUS QRPs can

recycle expended brass through the DRMO [Defense Reutilization Marketing Office]. In order to qualify for reimbursement, the

generator must demilitarize it prior to turning accountability over to the DRMO.

"SV" or Scrap Venture sales are totally different from brass being auctioned by DRMO.

Brass destined to be sold as once-fired ammunition goes to DRMO/DRMS and is UNAFFECTED.

You guys DO realize that DOD Surplus LLC is a bunch of crooks and they are NOT the government, they just liquidate government merchandise, which they get from Government Liquidations LLC which also is NOT the government. They just have contracts to help provide a means for moving unwanted government surplus. GL LLC had enough warehouse storage space to take on all the surplus, so they got the contract. I think what we really need to find out is rather or not the Department of Defense is ordering the destruction of ammunition or if it is something DOD Surplus and Gov't Liquidators is doing on their own. At one point, brass was more to the scrap yard than to the reloader. I still have not seen anything that leads me to believe the United States Government is requiring destruction. If Unk Sam wanted it destroyed, why would he bring it all back from overseas? Why would Unk Sam not destroy it himself?

Government Liquidation, LLC (GL), a Liquidity Services, Inc. marketplace is the exclusive contractor of the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS) for the sale of surplus and scrap assets of the United States Department of Defense (DOD).

GL operates an innovative and powerful online sales channel that enables surplus buyers to purchase available government assets in a convenient and open environment. GL utilizes world-class logistics, technology, marketing and customer service capabilities to assemble and promotes available property for the convenience of its buyers. With over 500 different commodity categories and thousands of surplus items added weekly to our inventory, GL offers surplus Buyers a unique and dynamic pool of property for purchase and resale. GL's dedicated team of professionals manage over 1 million square feet of warehouse space and maintain outposts on over 150 military bases throughout the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam.

You guys DO realize that DOD Surplus LLC is a bunch of crooks and they are NOT the government, they just liquidate government merchandise, which they get from Government Liquidations LLC which also is NOT the government. They just have contracts to help provide a means for moving unwanted government surplus. GL LLC had enough warehouse storage space to take on all the surplus, so they got the contract. I think what we really need to find out is rather or not the Department of Defense is ordering the destruction of ammunition or if it is something DOD Surplus and Gov't Liquidators is doing on their own. At one point, brass was more to the scrap yard than to the reloader. I still have not seen anything that leads me to believe the United States Government is requiring destruction. If Unk Sam wanted it destroyed, why would he bring it all back from overseas? Why would Unk Sam not destroy it himself?
Government Liquidation, LLC (GL), a Liquidity Services, Inc. marketplace is the exclusive contractor of the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS) for the sale of surplus and scrap assets of the United States Department of Defense (DOD).

GL operates an innovative and powerful online sales channel that enables surplus buyers to purchase available government assets in a convenient and open environment. GL utilizes world-class logistics, technology, marketing and customer service capabilities to assemble and promotes available property for the convenience of its buyers. With over 500 different commodity categories and thousands of surplus items added weekly to our inventory, GL offers surplus Buyers a unique and dynamic pool of property for purchase and resale. GL's dedicated team of professionals manage over 1 million square feet of warehouse space and maintain outposts on over 150 military bases throughout the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam.

l

ink to one of Gov Liq current auctions.

Gov Liq LLC brass auction

Can anyone find anything that says the destruction of this brass comes from the Department of Defense and not something these surplus wholesalers are requiring?

This is from the auction web page..

ALL SCRAP IN THIS SALE REQUIRES MUTILATION BY THE BUYER PRIOR TO REMOVAL IF ALLOWED BY THE INSTALLATION OR MUTILATION MUST BE WITNESSED AND CERTIFIED BY DOD SURPLUS PERSONNEL AT ANOTHER FACILITY.

does not say who is requiring this?

I have a friend with Joint Staff Small Arms Division that said:

I'm at PICA(tinny arsenal) and can try to find out from the horse's mouth as it were.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Maybe soon we'll have some accurate information.

Below is what Senator Graham's office has found. They are monitoring the waiver request closely and should know something in the next 2-3 weeks.

Their Response to my inquiry:

"As you know, this would be a big problem for law enforcement agencies with low budgets (most of them) and recreational shooters who depend on expended military brass for reloading if the waiver is not granted. There is no "security risk" for selling used brass in bulk. It was probably just a short-sighted bureaucratic move that did not foresee the unintended consequences.

Military property is subject to certain coding, according to its type and use, whether it can be sold commercially and, if so, under what restrictions.

According to the sales division of the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS), fired small arms cartridge cases, until recently, were DEMIL

(demilitarization) Code E, meaning that they could not be sold unless destroyed. However, a waiver to the destruction requirement allowed the cases to be sold intact, within the United States, but not for export.

Property given DEMIL Code B could be sold as well, under some restrictions.

However, in the last days of the Bush Administration, Under-Secretary Bell issued a policy letter prohibiting the sale of Code B property. A waiver could be obtained, to allow the sale of Code B property if destroyed in a prescribed manner. At the time, this was irrelevant to the question of small arms cartridge cases, because they were still Code E.

Recently, however, the Demilitarization Coding Management Office within the DRMS recommended that small arms cartridge cases be given Code B. This recommendation was accepted. Therefore, currently, fired military small arms cartridge cases are Code B property that may be sold only if destroyed.

However, the sales division of DRMS, recognizing the impact that this new policy will have on small businesses who sell loaded ammunition utilizing these fired cases, and upon gun owners who purchase such ammunition at considerable cost savings, has suspended the collection of fired cartridge cases from military bases, to prevent their destruction. And, they will be petitioning for a waiver, to allow the sale of intact cartridge cases .50 caliber and below. They are not asking for a waiver for larger cases, which are purchased as souvenir type items -- artillery shells, for example. They anticipate that within the next 2-3 weeks, the waiver will be approved."

Edited by Jack Suber

With the help of my father-in-law and my friend Clint U, I was able to secure 65K primers over yesterday and today, and should have most of them by the middle or end of April. :D Thanks so much to all those who came forward to help!!!!

With the help of my father-in-law and my friend Clint U, I was able to secure 65K primers over yesterday and today, and should have most of them by the middle or end of April. :D Thanks so much to all those who came forward to help!!!!

Congrats - must be nice.

:cheers:

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

To follow up with Jack Suber's informative post, it looks like the destruction of military brass issue has been resolved.

Dear MSSA Friends,

I just received a phone call from the office of U.S. Senator Tester of Montana to inform me that at 5:15 (EST) today a letter cosigned by Senator Tester (D-MT) and Senator Baucus (D-MT) was faxed to the Department of Defense asking DoD to reverse its new policy requiring destruction of fired military cartridge brass. At 5:30, I am told, Tester's office received a fax back from DoD saying that the brass destruction policy IS reversed.

Others report to me that they are already seeing evidence of this on the Websites of entities that liquidate surplus DoD commodities.

Our thanks go out to Senator Tester and Senator Baucus, and their staff, for getting on this problem promptly and making the reversal happen

Staff for Tester and Baucus promise they will get me the documentation for this reversal tomorrow morning. I'll forward that when I get it.

Best wishes,

Gary Marbut, president

Montana Shooting Sports Association

Posted here

You need to introduce me to some of your friends. :unsure:

I found two sources of primers in the Atlanta area. One is almost $37/k and the other is $29/k but limits you to 2k. The second dealer had federal, CCI. Remington, and Winchester. he said once he sold out he would'nt be able to get any more.

Now I need to find 45 ACP dies, everyone is sold out of those also.

My local source says he is getting a shipment of primers next week. He is on the list for 100k of each SP,LP,SR,LR. He states he should be getting a big part of it but is not sure about getting all. I hope to score a few more.

So I guess there is still hope.

Edited by sandman78

Friend of mine found 30k for sale in a warehouse for me. I guess I should buy them, although the price point is not great...2 hundy per 5k

now I know what to charge you for staying at my house during the area 1......... :devil: