Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sharing a gun?

fiddler

I'm shooting my first USPSA match next week, a New Competitor Clinic. My daughter would also like to shoot. We only have one gun. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Will we have to trek to the safe area to hand it off? Would it be easier to put the gun in a gun rug at the end of the stage and hand that off?

I'm pretty sure we'll have to be on the same squad.

Thanks,

Roy

Make sure you are spaced apart in the squad order so you can have time to reload the mags.

Best bet would be to put it in a soft case after the if clear hammer down holster command, and also under the direction of the range officer.

When the next person gets up to shoot, bring the case out and just make sure you open it under the direction of.....and also with the barrel pointing downrange.

I would just call up the match director and ask him. That is your best bet.

Randy

I'm shooting my first USPSA match next week, a New Competitor Clinic. My daughter would also like to shoot. We only have one gun. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Will we have to trek to the safe area to hand it off? Would it be easier to put the gun in a gun rug at the end of the stage and hand that off?

I'm pretty sure we'll have to be on the same squad.

Thanks,

Roy

The way my son and I did his first shoot was to share my gun. We got on the same squad. I made sure the officials knew we were sharing so they put me in the front of the list and my son at the end. After I shot I went to the safe area, placed the gun on the table and my son picked it up and placed it in his holster. The next stage he already had the gun so we just reversed it. He shot first and then we switch again at the safe area. I hope this helps.

Rick

Do you have a good holster for both of you...so you can just switch the gun, and not have to take off the holster too?

If not, state what gun it is and where you are shooting. ;)

Heck...state what you are shooting anyway. Maybe you are local to somebody here and they can help out with gear. (Most of us have serviceable in the gear bin that we don't use much anymore)

At our range, we've:

1. Done the safety area two step. It tends to be slow, though, and takes folks away from the squad and the duties we all pitch in on to keep the match moving. Some ranges have safety areas adjacent to each bay, which makes it a bit faster.

2. Done the gun rug thing. That works pretty well, especially if you are short on magazines. Again, having the two shooters separated some in the shooting order is key. It also helps if there is a cooperative CRO or ARO who is willing to bring the rug along to the last shooting position (our ranges are deep, and sometimes we end up 20+ yards away from the rest of the squad).

3. Done the straight hand off to the next shooter's holster, done right where the stage ends at the ULASC command sequence. Gotta make sure that the RO's are cool with somebody running right up at the end and standing next to the shooter to take the gun. If you have enough mags for each shooter, then there's no need to separate the shooters in the order, and there's nothing like shooting a smokin' hot gun :D .

Good idea about calling the match director.

Shooting first, then last also sounds good.

We have two belts and two holsters and enough mag pouches to go around. The gun is an M&P Pro.

We'll be shooting with the Big Sky Practical Shooting Club here in Missoula, Montana.

Both of you haveing a rig makes it much easier. We just have both shooters report to the fireing line together when its time to switch, face downrange and hand the gun off under the direction of the range officer.----------Larry

Both of you haveing a rig makes it much easier. We just have both shooters report to the fireing line together when its time to switch, face downrange and hand the gun off under the direction of the range officer.----------Larry

That sure sounds like the easiest way.

And once you get tired of sharing a gun, have the match director send a note home with you indicating the sharing of guns will no longer be tolerated and that you should buy another gun. If your wife buys that line the first time, keep the note in case you change divisions later and want to buy more guns.

Bill :rolleyes:

<_< you have a daughter that want to shoot, So make sure she gets to shoot. Don't show up with out her or we will round up a posse and come after you. And Or if the match director is not helpful let us know and we will round up a posse and come after him/ <_< or her

I'm gonna play the devils advocate and say dont do it. Your first couple matches can be confusing. You may be familiar with shooting but I bet most of it has been in a very controlled stand and shoot at bulls eyes. Even adding a camera can make it a pain. The hole run off switch equipment get the next person ready can be too much. It sounds simple siting here talking about it. But standing in front of a stage, doing your walk through, getting your mind straight, figuring out how to shoot the stage safely, then in a timely manner, then doing your fair share of taping and pasting , then make sure magazines are topped off for next stage, can be a little rushed for an experienced shooter if the squads arnt real big. Now add switching guns and messing with two sets of magazines especially for a brand new shooter and things suddenly become a little overwhelming. Let your daughter shoot the match with minimum distractions, load her mags do her share of the pasting/ reseting and video tape her performance. If nothing else you'll have something to show her future suitors when they stop by. Next match or two beg borrow or steal a gun for your self. Personally I would loan you one of my safe queens before I'd like to watch two new shooters stressed out by swapping gear. A couple on this thread would do the same. POst a new thread state your situation and say you'd like to borrow a gun for a match at ... on .... day. I'd loan you something in a heart beat just for the asking I am sure many others would too.

I'm gonna play the devils advocate and say dont do it. Your first couple matches can be confusing. You may be familiar with shooting but I bet most of it has been in a very controlled stand and shoot at bulls eyes. Even adding a camera can make it a pain. The hole run off switch equipment get the next person ready can be too much. It sounds simple siting here talking about it. But standing in front of a stage, doing your walk through, getting your mind straight, figuring out how to shoot the stage safely, then in a timely manner, then doing your fair share of taping and pasting , then make sure magazines are topped off for next stage, can be a little rushed for an experienced shooter if the squads arnt real big. Now add switching guns and messing with two sets of magazines especially for a brand new shooter and things suddenly become a little overwhelming. Let your daughter shoot the match with minimum distractions, load her mags do her share of the pasting/ reseting and video tape her performance. If nothing else you'll have something to show her future suitors when they stop by. Next match or two beg borrow or steal a gun for your self. Personally I would loan you one of my safe queens before I'd like to watch two new shooters stressed out by swapping gear. A couple on this thread would do the same. POst a new thread state your situation and say you'd like to borrow a gun for a match at ... on .... day. I'd loan you something in a heart beat just for the asking I am sure many others would too.

Thanks for the honest advice Joe. This particular match is a new competitor's clinic. There will only be three stages. I am pretty sure another gun lurks in my near future but I'd like to make sure the kid wants to continue before I get one. If she decides it's not for her I can spend the dough on ammo. Or tuition. Or food.

Roy

Good idea about calling the match director.

Shooting first, then last also sounds good.

We have two belts and two holsters and enough mag pouches to go around. The gun is an M&P Pro.

We'll be shooting with the Big Sky Practical Shooting Club here in Missoula, Montana.

Since I shoot with the BSPSC I will chime in and say it will not be a problem to share a gun. The problem will be that after you both shoot the match, you will be killing yourself to figure out how to get another gun for the next match.

I would say that your best bet will be to just hand the gun over at the line under the direction of the RO. Whoever has the gun shoots the stage and holsters when finished at unload and show clear. Then when the next person is up in the rotation you both go to the line. The RO will instruct you when to unholster the gun, show clear and hand over the gun. Then the person accepting the gun will show clear again and holster.(following all safety rules) Then the second person is ready to shoot. Repeat at the next stage.

I look forward to seeing you at the match!

Randy Stemple

Oh, come on, it's not rocket science...

Just bag the gun between shooters. That way, no matter who's up, the gun is ready to go. If anyone complains, just thank them for making you feel welcome. That'll shut em up.

Seriously, I've seen lots of people share guns, especially at steel shoots. It is not really that hard. I wouldn't do it permanently, but if you only have one gun, don't stay home.

I bag my pistol between stages, at the end of the stage. No one complains or even questions me. I figure the RO would rather wait 2 seconds to bag my gun than see my pants fall down while I'm taping and setting targets.

Joe, I'd offer you some gum, but I see you're too busy walking. ;)

Edited by Jeff686

Guy at our club match this week wanted to share with his buddy, both beginners. I loaned them my spare instead. Much easier no switching of holsters and worries about safety changing back and forth.

That's the best way to go.

Boats

We have had people come to our club matches (Mobile Pistol Shooters Association) and share guns, it is not a problem and really doesn't slow things down using many of the suggestions given in this thread. I have even seen it done in a major match after someone's gun puked (it was his backup gun that puked, his son was shooting the match too).

We have also had people contact us prior to a match and ask about shooting but didn't have enough equipment (whether it be gear, mags, gun or all of the above). Most of us in the club have equipment for several divisions and are willing to outfit a new shooter for a match. We want people to come out and experience the fun of shooting a match without feeling like they have to spend a lot of money before they try it (we don't even charge a match fee to a first timer, that way it dosen't cost them to get hooked).

Call the match director and talk to him or her, I am sure it can be done without problems.

Hurley

Since I shoot with the BSPSC I will chime in and say it will not be a problem to share a gun. The problem will be that after you both shoot the match, you will be killing yourself to figure out how to get another gun for the next match.

I would say that your best bet will be to just hand the gun over at the line under the direction of the RO. Whoever has the gun shoots the stage and holsters when finished at unload and show clear. Then when the next person is up in the rotation you both go to the line. The RO will instruct you when to unholster the gun, show clear and hand over the gun. Then the person accepting the gun will show clear again and holster.(following all safety rules) Then the second person is ready to shoot. Repeat at the next stage.

I look forward to seeing you at the match!

Randy Stemple

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Randy and I look forward to seeing you as well.

Roy

I say let them know you need to share a gun and they will help you figure out a way to make it happen at the range. Shooters are very helpful to new shooters especially at a local match. People go to them more for fun and causal competiton than anything else. Its not like your shooting in the nationals.

Does some stuff that is not safety related slide that wouldn't at a major match ie guy shows up for his first match with his carry gun that happens to be a glock 19C, most of the time its told that the barrel can't be ported unless in open but you can shoot it this time in production. Or a holster is a leg drop holster and that is the only one they have with them, they still let them shoot but let them know that the leg drop holsters arn't allowed. Seen a new shooter having gun/ammo trouble whose gun hung after the first shot and totally locked up solid. Guess what he got to shoot it over. While the rules would have said mark it all as shot, at a small local shoot if they paid to shoot their stages let them shoot the stages. Its not like they are going to win the shoot anyway.

While sharing might not be good at the nationals the small shoots will bend over backwards to help a new shooter get into the game. I know when I was shooting skeet big time we had a younger new shooter shoot on our squad at a VERY large shoot(2nd only to the world) that was about 300+ for the event. He had his gun take a dump on him pretty bad at the beginning of the shoot. Finished the round with my gun that was way too long for him. After the round we went to the practice filed, took a wrench to my precison fit stock and set it up where it would shoot like his gun, gave him some instruction etc. I shot the rest of the match with my backup gun and let him shoot mine for the rest of the match. Figured I would feel better helping a new shooter finish his first big match out right than shooting my regular gun for the match. I Ended up with a 399x400 and making the podium shooting my backup gun. And he got his hat shot to pieces for his first 25 and 50 straight.

Edited by EkuJustice