Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you find yourself recoil sensitive after running "game guns?

waxman

Having shot almost nothing but my SV with 165-170pf ammo for the last 2 years, I have noticed a big change in my recoil perception. I just took posession of a m&p 4" 40, and took it out to do some function testing. I ran full power factory 180 grain loads, as well as some stout gold dot 155 gr. I cant believe how bad this thing jumps. I was able to shoot alright with it, but a quick second shot / controlled pair was out of the question. Being used to watching my front sight, I think it came compleatly off a uspsa target. Has this happened to anyone else? or is the lightweight service m&p really that uncontrolable.

Edited by waxman

Yep... I've been there... I shoot a 100% tricked out 1911 in 9 mm or 1911 in .45 ACP most of the time.. but carry a 3.5" barreled .45 1911 with MAJOR 230 grain +P defensive loads on board. Every now and them I shoot my carry gun on the IDPA classifier and it always shocks the Hell out of me how much difference there is.

Lots of muzzle blast and fire shooting out the barrel as it rises. I don't want to open a can of USPSA vs IDPA worms here.. 'cause 95% of my shooting is IDPA--- but I sure don't carry my IDPA competition guns... which was the orriginal concept ... back in the day.

BTW-- I know lots of really heavy USPSA & IDPA shooters who haven't fired their rusty.. filled with lint carry gun in years. Not a good idea.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Yep... I've been there... I shoot a 100% tricked out 1911 in 9 mm or 1911 in .45 ACP most of the time.. but carry a 3.5" barreled .45 1911 with MAJOR 230 grain +P defensive loads on board. Every now and them I shoot my carry gun on the IDPA classifier and it always shocks the Hell out of me how much difference there is.

Lots of muzzle blast and fire shooting out the barrel as it rises. I don't want to open a can of USPSA vs IDPA worms here.. 'cause 95% of my shooting is IDPA--- but I sure don't carry my IDPA competition guns... which was the orriginal concept ... back in the day.

BTW-- I know lots of really heavy USPSA & IDPA shooters who haven't fired their rusty.. filled with lint carry gun in years. Not a good idea.

I shoot my TRP with gold dots about once a month or so to verfy zero and function. Sure I'm not going to get 2 quick head shots at 25 yards with those loads like my "gamer" loads but I don't notice it being that bad. Maybe if I shot nothing but 9mm production or steel loads and went to a polymer .45 or .40 it might be a little different I guess.

I try to never shoot my .22 conversion unit and my .40 in the same practice. The recoil is way too different.

I notice when I go from factory to my handload there is a huge difference. I hate it when I just mix the ammo up. The recoil differences are huge.

If I remember correctly there really is not a place to rest your thumbs on the M+P is there? A M&P 9mm shooter tried shooting my handloads in my SS .40. He went crazy with the recoil. He is used to putting his thumbs straight up in the air and when he tried that with my SS the gun almost jumped out of his hand.

My USPSA gun is a HiPower in 9mm. My hone defense is a S&W 1006 10mm running CORBON ammo. I just don't even consider one when I shoot the other. Two different animals. One is a kitty , the other a panther. But the weight of the 1006 tames the 10mm somewhat. Now if I could carry in this state, it'd be a different story.

Being a single stack shooter and carrying a full size steel 1911 .... I am not worried about differences.

My race ready 1911 has an extended mag release and target sights vs nights sights and regular mag button on my shtf gun.

That is why I like shooting single stack....

I carry a Glock 22 loaded with 165gr Winchester Ranger for duty, and I shoot a Glock 34 with 124gr handloads in USPSA Production Division. I can say for certain, and I think most would agree, that there is a definite difference in felt recoil energy between those two pistols and their respective loads. However, when I am shooting I am rarely aware of the difference in recoil. I could tell you after the fact that my Glock 22 with the duty load recoiled harder than my Glock 34, but at the time when I am actually shooting I am so tuned into watching the front sight....watching it lift, and then watching it come back down....that I don't notice the recoil. It might take the front sight on one longer to come back down than on the other due to recoil, but no matter what pistol I am shooting I just wait till I see what I need to see to make a given shot.

Now if the pistol recoiled hard enough to cause me physical pain, forget watching the front sight. I'm recoil sensitive at that point!..... ;)

I shoot a Colt Series 70 in USPSA L-10 with 200gr 175pf loads ( although I shot several matches with 230ball factory loads before buying reloading equipment). My "truck" pistol is a full size Kimber Classic Custom loaded with 230gr Golden Sabers. There is not that much difference in recoil. I can feel the difference, but it is not so much that it shocks me or anything like that.

Even shooting my shotgun, I don't remember slugs recoiling any more than low brass shot during a match, but I can sure feel the difference just shooting at the range.

With rifles, I can't feel the difference between a comp and an A2 flash hider, but I can see the difference in where the hits are and the time for the stages.

Hurley

I do shoot my carry gun in IDPA, about 75% of the time. Commander/Officer length STI in .40. I carry Gold Dots and although there is a difference in recoil I don't mind switching back and forth. I've been shooting a minor .40 load for ESP, but I'm going to switch back to major PF to more closely replicate my carry ammo.

post-8536-1236654484_thumb.jpg

I practiced with my M&P9C while my PRO Series Production gun was away... Just going from the 3" 9mm to the 5" 9mm with reduced recoil spring, guiderod, etc was a huge drop in recoil impulse. I couldn't imagine switching from a race gun, to a short-barrel 40...

That said, being FORCED to practice with my compact, I'm SURE, has made me better with my PRO. It's like going from a sports car to a Cadi... Smooooooth. SO much easier to shoot.

JW

Something nobody has brought up yet is the difference in timing. I bet a lot of what people are perceiving as recoil shyness is really the reaction to the difference in the gun's timing. 9mm to 10mm, ya quite a difference in recoil. 40 major to 40 defensive rounds, not really that huge a difference.

I am not sure if it is the "game guns," or if it is the amount of concentration you are able to put forth as a more experienced shooter. I used to be able to shoot any big bore handgun good enough to hunt with, then I started competition and a 44 mag hurts.

• 3 weeks later...

Going from my .40 Limited Custom using 175pf 180gr ammo (tanfoglio),..to my 9mm 147gr 137pf ammo I noticed how little recoil my Stock2 has :surprise: ....it feels similiar to shooting my friends glock with .22 conversion kit. I used to shoot an HK USP 9mm using the same ammunition,and there was much more movement in that than my current production gun. I also just picked up the new HK P30-L in 9mm,...and it is definitely unusual to see how flat that stays compared to my old HK USP. I am guessing,..but I would say the P30-L recoil spring is over 14lbs,...and feels soft (probably something to do with the factory buffer)