Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 in limited?

simonsay

I see a handfull of limited shooters running their hi-cap 45s in limited. I understand it's not the best setup, but if you can get 17 in a magazine, are they really handicapped that much? Do the arredondo extensions work well in the Glock - 21? There are several reasons I'm thinking about a Glock 21 rather than going with a G-35. Is this a waste of time and money? A 2011 in 40 would be my preference but is not in the plans right now. I can shoot my SS in L-10 but would like to get in a division where there are more shooters in the next year. Your thoughts please.

I see a handfull of limited shooters running their hi-cap 45s in limited. I understand it's not the best setup, but if you can get 17 in a magazine, are they really handicapped that much? Do the arredondo extensions work well in the Glock - 21? There are several reasons I'm thinking about a Glock 21 rather than going with a G-35. Is this a waste of time and money? A 2011 in 40 would be my preference but is not in the plans right now. I can shoot my SS in L-10 but would like to get in a division where there are more shooters in the next year. Your thoughts please.

This is one of those ongoing debates that rattle back and forth so be ready for it :P

I think it depends on how competitive you plan on being. On some stages it's not going to make any difference since they won't require a reload either way. There are a lot of stages where it's going to make a difference....imagine a 16-shot stage with a couple of steel. You're probably going to reload between arrays just in case you have a miss. Someone with a 20-22 round mag isn't going to need the insurance and you're going to lose half a second or more just because of the reload.....even when doing it while moving. Time yourself shooting 8 shots moving to another position while reloading and then shoot some more. Do that without the reload and see what the average time loss is. On some longer stages you might have to reload twice to their once....and you've given up some more time.

If you already had the gun it might make sense to try out Limited with a G21 and mag extensions, but I just don't see why it would be a great idea to handicap yourself compared with the other shooters from the beginning.

If you're more shooting for fun it probably doesn't make any difference at all....shoot, have fun and enjoy. R,

I shot a used STI Edge in .45 for 2 years in USPSA; picked it up for only $1000 so I shot what I had. The gun never really held me back, though reliability was an issue. WHat matters in USPSA is dry fire and a reliable gun.

A friend had a Para Ord in 45; I seem to remember that with Grams mag internals, he had more rounds on tap - maybe 19? I am not generally a Para fan - but if mag capacity matters to you.

BTW - the Glock would seem to be a reliable choice. Go fo it.

I think you might be at a slight disadvantage because many Limited shooters are using mags that routinely hold 20 to 22 rounds. I have a Glock 35 with the Arresondo extensions. The mags have proven to be very reliable. The extensions came with a more powerful spring to compensate for the longer length. I can easily load 20 rounds in each mag. Hope this helps.

My hi-cap springfield 1911, holds 17 with dawson basepads, it always seemed to be enough, but then again, I'm not a "top Notch" shooter who's out to win at all cost, I just enjoy shooting, If a 45 is what you have shoot it and have fun :cheers:

I have been running a Glock 21 in Limited. I tried another pistol that holds 21 rds in 40 S&W. Loved the gun but did not shoot it as well as the 21, pretty much married to the Glock grip angle and weight.

I use Arredondo base pads and the old style followers(3955) , I get 18 + 1 that reload nicely. I shave a little off the lgs of the followers.

Glockmiester magwell, wolff lighten trigger spring, 4# connector, Sevigny sights.

I'm happy!! I'm a rebel.

Edited by dirty whiteboy

I can get a reloadable 18+1 in my Para mags, with Grams pads and followers. I'm another shooter who is not going to lose out on a national championship because I had to do one extra reload. I've been shooting L10 with a single-stack .45 for many years, and for the last six months or so, I've been shooting it in Limited. Man, when I have 18+1 rather than 10+1, it's going to seem like cheating. That's the way I look at it. I'm already competitive in class, and skipping a reload or two per stage? For a brief moment, I had both a Springfield hi-cap .45 and a SVI .40 slide, but really didn't want to add another caliber, for two rounds.

:surprise:

Seems to me a lot of shooters want the extra rounds like the GM and M shooters,

Im not that good so shooting a 45 in limited would be just fine for me, even tho

I shoot a 40 Caspian, I still like the 45 round, shows my age i guess.

I see no advantage one way or the other for most of the B shooters I know

and below b shoot what ya have and have FUN!

:sight::blush::devil:

Jim/Pa

Sailors

really didn't want to add another caliber, for two rounds.

Yeah, but pretty much anybody can put together 21-round mags now and quite a few folks are getting 22 (S_I mags anyway), so it's really 3 or 4 rounds. Not a world of difference unless you have a 20rd stage and then it might be painful.

Edited by G-ManBart

I started with a ruger for fun, but after shooting a few matches I got an xd .45. I was always a .45 guy, I used it in lim-10 and it held 10 plus. Last year I got a para that holds 18-1 man what difference! I got c class over night. It had those aradondo basepads, I shot an indoor match did a mag change . It hit the concrete floor and splash, bullets everywhere. I bought Dawson basepads (metal ones) and man what a great gun. This game is all about trial and error. Use what you have til u have money for what you want. And overall don't forget, this is all for fun.

If you already own the .45, shoot it. It's the only way you can determine if it works for you.

.40 and .45 guns pretty much cost the same. If you are buying a new gun, don't pay the same money for second best. For a Limited competition gun, get the .40.

Yeah, but pretty much anybody can put together 21-round mags now and quite a few folks are getting 22 (S_I mags anyway), so it's really 3 or 4 rounds. Not a world of difference unless you have a 20rd stage and then it might be painful.

And you can probably get one more than that by changing to a gun that uses Para mags, but I don't see many doing that. I knew a couple of GMs shooting 17+1 Caspian .40s, and they seemed to do alright. And, again, from my perspective I'm not down three rounds, I'm plus eight.

And you can probably get one more than that by changing to a gun that uses Para mags, but I don't see many doing that. I knew a couple of GMs shooting 17+1 Caspian .40s, and they seemed to do alright. And, again, from my perspective I'm not down three rounds, I'm plus eight.

Not sure of the time frame you're talking about, but the Caspian .40 mags are getting 18 stock and 21 with spring/follower/basepad kits now. R,

There are several reasons I'm thinking about a Glock 21 rather than going with a G-35.

Details please?

I tried shooting a 34 several years ago in production and the slide constantly cut my thumb to pieces. Some have told me the larger frame glock might solve the problem. I know I can modify a 35 to get around this but...

My 1050 is set up for 45 and the inconvenience and extra cost of changing to a different round is another excuse.

This is still in the what if stages. I know it's a handicap to step up to the line with a downloaded gun. If time, money, space, and the planets aligned, I'd get a 2011 in 40 and not look back. Just thought this might be an easy way to shoot against more competition. Appreciate everyones thought though.

There are several reasons I'm thinking about a Glock 21 rather than going with a G-35.

Details please?

I tried shooting a 34 several years ago in production and the slide constantly cut my thumb to pieces. Some have told me the larger frame glock might solve the problem. I know I can modify a 35 to get around this but...

My 1050 is set up for 45 and the inconvenience and extra cost of changing to a different round is another excuse.

This is still in the what if stages. I know it's a handicap to step up to the line with a downloaded gun. If time, money, space, and the planets aligned, I'd get a 2011 in 40 and not look back. Just thought this might be an easy way to shoot against more competition. Appreciate everyones thought though.

I had the same choice to make years ago and I chose limited 10. I had a great time and learned alot. I don't think it is a super critical decision either way. Since I don't do this for a living I too might choose the path of least resistance and expense which would put you in limited 10 or limited with your 45.

Details please?

I had the same choice to make years ago and I chose limited 10. I had a great time and learned alot. I don't think it is a super critical decision either way. Since I don't do this for a living I too might choose the path of least resistance and expense which would put you in limited 10 or limited with your 45.

I wouldn't mind shooting L-10 with my single stack if there were more shooting it. The problem is there just aren't that many people around here that shoot it. Even the few major matches that I attend have small numbers in L-10, production, and SS. Limited is by far the most popular. I may just stick with my SS and hope it gets more popular.

Its funny you should say that, Simonsay. I have wanted to shoot more SS and L10 at big matches but, like you, I don't want to shoot a big match with 5 other competitors. I wonder how many of us are sitting around saying to themselves "If only more people would shoot it, I would too."

I'd recommend...highly...the G20 (10mm) with a replacement barrel in 40 S&W. It feels like cheating.

Soft shooting and you can get the capacity up.

There would be an initial outlay to load 40. That would probably pay for itself in the long run.

You also have the option of the large framed glock with the SF model of grip.

Lots of choices.

Hello: I am finishing up a STI 2011 I built for Limited and Limited 10 in 45acp. Just a couple of more details and off she goes to get chromed or Ion Bond. I figured I load for single stack in 45 so why not Limited and limited 10. I'll see if I can post some pics tomorrow with it in the white. Thanks, Eric

I'm with Flexmoney on the G20 and if you decide to go the .40 route that is how I would go. Glocks eat me up too, so I put one of those Glocktails on all of mine and problem solved. I do however think an 18 round .45 can work in Limited.

Not sure of the time frame you're talking about, but the Caspian .40 mags are getting 18 stock and 21 with spring/follower/basepad kits now. R,

The point was, of course, that everyone else was loading 20+1 in their S_Is. Some people who had the choice of a couple more rounds chose the Caspian instead, and others who had a choice of a couple more rounds in a Para, chose S_I instead. Not everyone thinks having a round or three is a big deal.

The point was, of course, that everyone else was loading 20+1 in their S_Is. Some people who had the choice of a couple more rounds chose the Caspian instead, and others who had a choice of a couple more rounds in a Para, chose S_I instead. Not everyone thinks having a round or three is a big deal.

Maybe, maybe not....I don't recall any top GM's shooting 17+1 Limited guns in the recent past, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. In reality those guys (top GM's) are less likely to need the advantage of the extra rounds. A moving reload costs them less time (still costs them though) and they're less likely to miss wildly when they know the round count is gonna be tight.

Still, the thread starter was talking Glocks. G-21 with mag extensions equals a 17 round mag. S_I .40 mag set up properly is readily available in 22-round form. That's 5 rounds difference....which not only would add extra cushion on medium courses (16 round max) as well as add a degree of flexibility in where you do your reload on long courses.

Sometimes it wouldn't be any advantage at all, sometimes it'd be a slight advantage and other times it's going to be a huge advantage....hey, we've all seen shooters finish a stage on the very last round in the gun right? A static reload there is gonna really hurt. Why not avoid that if possible?

I just don't see the logic of giving up any easily obtainable advantage to the rest of the field when you're looking at buying something. Starting out with what you already have is one thing, buying something new and giving up what most everyone else has is a different situation.

I think Flex's idea of a G20 with a .40 barrel is probably a winner....best of both worlds really for what the thread starter was looking at. R,

I'd recommend...highly...the G20 (10mm) with a replacement barrel in 40 S&W. It feels like cheating.

Soft shooting and you can get the capacity up.

Hadn't thought of that one. That might be the ticket.