Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things you made to improve your Dillon...

So what have you made that improved your Dillon loader?

Guess I'm a tinkerer at heart....can't seem to leave well enough alone. Found it hard to view the contents of the case feed hopper, added an automotive convex mirror that helped. Wasn't able to use the strong mount, so no bullet tray or mount is available...added a mount to hang a box on the side.

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

Cool bullet tray.

Now you have your dimensions one can be made out of aluminum or what ever.

Looks like the wood works too!

FM

Not wood, it's brushed aluminum.

Trying to figure out how to run a tube for the discard primers.....anyone done this?

Edited by Rembrandt

Cool bullet tray.

FM

Trying to figure out how to run a tube for the discard primers.....anyone done this?

Yes pretty easy especially for someone with your fabrication skills. I used a .308 case to make a funnel that is sandwiched between that mounting bracket for the primer cup. Then attach a vinyl hose to it. I have some really crappy cell phone pics of my setup in the other thread showing bench setups.

Cool bullet tray.

FM

This works on the 650 and 1050.

Cut a .223 case.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...hl=Spent+primer

I'd like to see a mirror for the 550 to look down into the cases to ensure powder was dropped (mine sits too high for me to see).

Go to an auto parts store and ask them for a hand held inspection mirror. There are different types but basically it's a handle with a swivel head mirror on the end. You can easily strap or clamp the handle onto the back of the press and angle the mirror so that you can see down into the cases.

Best things-for-my Dillon:

< $10:

-- Spent Primer Tube-- several posts on that here

-- Powder measure knob -- adjust your powder throw super-easy for like $0.25. Also posted on BE

-- $6 Ikea snake-light aimed right into cases before seating

-- Old hard-drive magnet slapped on the casefeed post-- stick the 3 or 4 hex keys to it for easy access

-- Move the casefeeder 1/4" up the post for easy removal of the tube

< $100 things:

-- Redding comp seat die -- dial up the OAL you want

-- EGW Undersize die

Expensive-but-worth-it things:

-- KISS bullet feeder -- totally rocks. will return to the market soon I hear

-- RF-100 Primer filler -- fire-and-forget primer tube loading

I have a P-W Autodrive and it's almost made the list, but not quite yet..

Best things-for-my Dillon:

< $10:

-- Spent Primer Tube-- several posts on that here

-- Powder measure knob -- adjust your powder throw super-easy for like $0.25. Also posted on BE

-- $6 Ikea snake-light aimed right into cases before seating

-- Old hard-drive magnet slapped on the casefeed post-- stick the 3 or 4 hex keys to it for easy access

-- Move the casefeeder 1/4" up the post for easy removal of the tube

< $100 things:

-- Redding comp seat die -- dial up the OAL you want

-- EGW Undersize die

Expensive-but-worth-it things:

-- KISS bullet feeder -- totally rocks. will return to the market soon I hear

-- RF-100 Primer filler -- fire-and-forget primer tube loading

I have a P-W Autodrive and it's almost made the list, but not quite yet..

Shred, do you know if there is a spent primer solution using the tube method for the 550b? I've searched and only found solutions for the 1050 and the 650.

I love this site!

LTC

• 2 weeks later...

Rembrandt,

Is your entire press mounted on a track? It looks like it has the ability to slide from one side to the other with the loosening of just one or two bolts? If so, that is an outstanding design!!! I have to admit, I will be shamelessly stealing the mirror idea for my friend's 550B with casefeeder!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share these ideas!

redintex

I straightened up a little paper clip and put it in side the bottom of the clear plastic brass funnel on the case feeder to make sure that the 'full tube' switch activated every time to turn it off. 9 and 38 super cases are thin enough to where it wouldn't do this every time.

Rembrandt, ...Is your entire press mounted on a track? It looks like it has the ability to slide from one side to the other with the loosening of just one or two bolts?

Tracks trade name is called 80/20 (The Industrial Erector Set), just a couple of pieces recessed into the bench top. Wanted a clean bench at times plus the ability to swap loading equipment as needed, seemed like a logical solution. Here's a few pics that illustrate it better than I can explain it.

benchmount4.jpg

loadroom6.jpg

loadbench1.jpg

trimmer-swag.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

Anyone have any pictures of mounting a mirror to check the powder on a Dillon 1050 when you eliminate the powder check die to use the KISS bullet feeder?

I have a snake-light that aims into the cases and I stand on the left side. That works well except for very tiny powder charges.

First pic in this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=678158

I needed a counter for my 1050. I have a small business processing 223/5.56 brass and I needed a more accurate way of counting brass other than weighing the brass. The ones that were made by Dillon are expensive and hard to find. So I did a little R&D and came up with this idea. Small piece of sheet aluminum, a spring from something and some 4x40 countersunk screws and a Redding counter. Total was about 12.00

DSC_0002222222222.jpg

a fellow shooter on another forum (glocktalk.com) is a machinist. He threaded pool balls to go on the Dillon handle. I have a black eight ball on mine. It's very nice and actually smooths loading...it adds a little weight to the ram arm and it gives a great gripping surface.

z-

• 4 months later...