Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things you made to improve your Dillon...

looking in the cases for powder was a pain, even after i got a powder checker, i still needed to look into the cases,

so i use a mirror used from the baby accessories section. it's the one you put on the rear-view mirror on your car to make sure your kids didn't get out of their car seats.

it's about 3"x4" and has several mounts, i used the clamp-on mount, clamped it on the casefeeder post and angle it in a way to see inside the case, i'll post some pics once i figure out how to do it.

Hope this helps.

So many fixes and tweeks, so little time. Too bad they don't really do anything with user feedback.

I dunno.. the major Super 1050 complaint from the early days was fixed (fast indexing), and the RF-100 now has an adjustment knob on it, but you're right, things can change slow in Dillon-land.

So many fixes and tweeks, so little time. Too bad they don't really do anything with user feedback.

I dunno.. the major Super 1050 complaint from the early days was fixed (fast indexing), and the RF-100 now has an adjustment knob on it, but you're right, things can change slow in Dillon-land.

Shred, I guess we all have our own standards. 15 years as a design engineer must have made mine unreasonable. I paid close to $900 with all needed accessories for my 550B and the primer system is still not reliable without constant attention. I paid upwards of $1500 for my 1050 hoping it would be better and I had to disable a section of the press to get it to even function right out of the box. Other issues still exist that need constant attention. My standards are just too high I guess. Dillon has lots of tweeks and bandaids but very few real long term fixes. I know this isn't an appropriate place for resolving these issues.......'nuff said.

Edited by larry cazes

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my variant to cure the used-primer-spilling-on-floor-problem of my 1050: I use a cut off .222 Rem case (had no .223 around :-) and the original container. To make it fit I partly cut off the beak (correct term?) of the container.

I used to manually sort out Berdan cases. This became annoying very soon. So I hot-glued a tiny mirror in an appropriate angle to the toolhead of the machine. While operating the machine (standing slightly left) I can now check every case on the fly while it is shoved into the shell plate. No more bent and broken decapping pins, no more gravel or other obstructions overlooked. (Which is very helpful as I have to file off every single pin to make it fit the smaller diameter of the priming hole of my Dynamit cases..)

For illumination I use a USB notebook LED lamp in combination with an AC/DC power adaptor. A side effect is, that I can now load my cell phone, too :-))

money spent:

tiny mirror: free from a glazier

hot glue: 0,00003 EUR :-P

AC/DC adaptor: ~ 8 EUR

LED lamp: ~ 3 EUR

cable straps: see "hot glue"

post-17092-1253269441_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269449_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269464_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269468_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269474_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269479_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269483_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269489_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269513_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269518_thumb.jpg

post-17092-1253269523_thumb.jpg

I needed a counter for my 1050. I have a small business processing 223/5.56 brass and I needed a more accurate way of counting brass other than weighing the brass. The ones that were made by Dillon are expensive and hard to find. So I did a little R&D and came up with this idea. Small piece of sheet aluminum, a spring from something and some 4x40 countersunk screws and a Redding counter. Total was about 12.00

DSC_0002222222222.jpg

Is the spring of the case plunger strong enough to operate the counter and the case plunger reliably?