Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gross abuse of handicapped hang tags

Carmoney

My depression/WW2-generation grandparents would never have dreamed of putting handicapped tags on their vehicles just to get the good parking spaces. They truly were the "greatest generation" of Americans.

But the one thing the WW2 generation did wrong was to universally spoil their children, the so-called baby-boomers, who have now turned into an unbelievably self-centered group of people in their 50s and early 60s who think the world revolves around them (present company excepted, of course).

Every time I go out and about, I see people in this age bracket hanging those blue tags from their rear-view mirrors just because they want to take advantage of the handicapped parking spaces, then getting out and walking rapidly and vigorously into the facility. They don't even bother to affect a fake limp or anything! I get so enraged I'm momentarily tempted to run them down with my Buick.

Sadly, this is only one little example of the damage the baby-boom generation (present company excepted, of course) has brought upon our society....

My grandfather, who passed away last august at 84, had balance issues due to deteriorating nerves in his lower back and legs. He also had mild COPD from smoking for 50 years...

But even not being able to walk well or breathe well, he wouldn't park in a handicap spot. His response was always the same.... save those spots for someone who needs it!

i usually go to costco on saturday morning. there's a guy that works there, he's an albino parking in a handicap space. wtf?

He needs to get inside as quick as possible. B)

I knew a lady who had a handicap placard for arthritis. Sounds reasonable, right? The arthritis is in her hands. I've got a fairly arthritic thumb, but walking a few extra steps doesn't hurt it.

+1 An exercise trainer used to show up at our sandwich place dressed in the spandex gear and always park in one of the two Disabled spots. I asked the restaurant manager to stop serving her or we would stop coming.

It did not go very good. I lacked articulate skills for that moment. The sandwiches were over priced any way.

i usually go to costco on Saturday morning. there's a guy that works there, he's an albino parking in a handicap space. wtf?

He needs to get inside as quick as possible. B)

I knew a lady who had a handicap placard for arthritis. Sounds reasonable, right? The arthritis is in her hands. I've got a fairly arthritic thumb, but walking a few extra steps doesn't hurt it.

<_< I think...that falls out side the margin for "Lady"

...and then the stores add on more and more of the handicapped spaces to their lots.

What gripes my ass is not only is there an acre of handicapped spots but another acre for pregnant moms, those afflicted with the sniffles, etc, etc.......

:angry2:

Gotta weigh in here since my wife is one of those that has a handicapped tag hanging from her mirror.

Folks see a slender, attractive 40'ish lady getting out of her car in the handicapped spot and, seemingly effortlessly, walking into the store. She gets looks and comments on a regular basis as to why she's parking where she does.

For those that question, if we're in a good mood, she'll lift her pant leg and show the pair of prosthetic legs that she walks on. I won't share what response those that question us get when I'm in a bad mood.

This discussion seems a little one sided. Some of the people with them certainly don't need them, but ust because some one appears "rapid and vigorous" does not mean they don't have a handicap.

I don't have a handicap permit, but could probably get one without much trouble. I am only 61, as time goes on and if my condition gets worse I may need one.

I have some fused vertebrae and cartiledge wear that allows the nerves in my back to rub against bone. This affects my sciatic nerve, when I get up in the mornings I can barely walk on my right leg. After I sit for a while it gets better and I can walk "rapid and vigorous" for a little while. If I am parked reasonably close I can get out of my car and walk rapidly into a store with out any trouble, after a while on my feet I have to use the shopping cart for support. If I walk too long or stand too long, my right leg will get numb and collapse. If I sit down for a minute or two I will look fine when I walk out of the store. I would appear to have no problem if my car is close, but if I am parking farther away I may need support or have to squat down and stretch in certain ways to get things working right again. Standing in lines also does a number on my leg.

Things are not always as they seem.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are so handicapped that you need to be as close to the store/establishment as possible, you should be dropped off at the loading zone/curb right in front of said establishment, then your assistant can park the vehicle like any other car. I like the way our local Costco handled the handicapped spaces. The entrance to the store is on one cut off corner of the building...with the handicapped stalls all down one side of the building. All the regular stalls are across the roadways fronting the sides of the store. making the first rows of them as close or closer (if you can get one) than the handicapped stalls.

I have a knee that has needed replacement for 3 years and advanced spinal disc degeneration. I have a blue hang tag.... but I only use it when I'm having a really bad day..... or if it's 500 yards to the store and I'm alone at the time.

Depending on the temp. and humidity I go from moving pretty good with only a minor limp...... to getting my cane out of the trunk and hobbling like the old man that I am fast becoming.

What I see a lot ... is apparently younger family members using a tag or driving a car with a plate on it that's their fathers or husbands.... or whatever. Talk about taking advantage of the system:(

Gotta weigh in here since my wife is one of those that has a handicapped tag hanging from her mirror.

Folks see a slender, attractive 40'ish lady getting out of her car in the handicapped spot and, seemingly effortlessly, walking into the store. She gets looks and comments on a regular basis as to why she's parking where she does.

For those that question, if we're in a good mood, she'll lift her pant leg and show the pair of prosthetic legs that she walks on. I won't share what response those that question us get when I'm in a bad mood.

And this is why you don't jump to conclusions. Just because they don't LOOK handicapped doesn't mean they aren't.

It does get to me though when the moms with teenagers park in the expecting mother spots....I guess they could have one in the oven as of last night :rolleyes: