Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

eagle vs. edge

bugsbear

after the input from other members, i have decided that a double stack makes sense.

it had been my intent to purchase the sti eagle in 40 s&w. that would allow me to shoot it in idpa esp and uspa limted 10 et al.

my desire was to have one gun that would shoot both games. my question is that necessary or desirable?

i purchaed a sti trojan in 9 mm to shoot in idpa esp. this was reputed to be a great setup.

i have shot mine in one idpa qualifer, no matches. i will shoot it again in two weeks in another qualifier, then the nevada state match in april.

the trojan has been used in a few uspsa matches, shooting single stack minor.

the question going through my mind is whether i should get the eagle that will go both ways, or simply purchase an edge and use it in uspsa only.

is there a benefit to shooting the same gun in idpa and uspsa?

i understand the similar feel issue, but wonder whether downloading for idpa and shooting major in uspsa would give two dfferent feels to the gun.

are there any differences in the eagle and edge that would affect a decision to purchase?

thanks again.

nels

The general consensus is that the power factor for USPSA (165) makes the extra slide and frame weight that the Edge has totally unecessary.

Mr. Londrigan from Brazos Custom wrote an article some time ago saying (I'm paraphrasing here) that the better shooter can manage recoil easier than a lesser shooter; implication was that the lighter gun was better suited for more experienced shooters.

A lot of this comes down to "Blondes vs. Brunettes" or "Ford v. Chevy."

In general, the Eagle will be just fine, with the added benefit of being suitable for both USPSA and IDPA.

Another thought would be to get yourself a Trojan in .40. You can shoot it in single stack or L10, you can practice with the cheaper 9mm gun, and of course shoot IDPA with it. Plus a Trojan will only set you back about 1k, about $600 or so cheaper than an Edge.

FY42385

The feel and timing wont be the same, especially if you end up changing springs going back and forth between major and minor. The similar grip would help though. I think your heading down a road that will give you an ok gun for both games. Notice I said ok. The games are different, ammo is different, stages are different, requirements are different. If you try to build one gun to play both you'll end up with all kinds of compromises, and a gun that isnt great for either game.

Nels,

I think that your Trojan in 9mm is the perfect choice for IDPA ESP. Get a dedicated USPSA gun that is set up and ready to go for Major. The Edge or the Eagle can both be set up for Limited or L10 and work about the same. I prefer the Eagle because it is a little lighter- which helps in the transitions (IMHO). You will still have the 1911 platform, but I don't see a huge benefit to using the exact same gun in both games if you can afford not to.

Keith W.

you do know that the Edge would not be legal for IDPA,

My wife has an Edge and I have an Eagle, both are bull barreled and we shoot USPSA with them, and we both shoot 1911 .45 for IDPA, she shoots the 1911 much better, I don't care for the weight of the Edge at all, we are actually thinking about lighting the Edge up.

I disagree with the suggestion that you can't have it all. My Tripp built 2011 has both a bull and bushing barrels, 2 recoil spring setups (12.5# and 9# for major/minor respectively), 2 magwells (krebs for IDPA) and 2 loads. I had Tripp build it with a short, wide frame so its IDPA legal. The weight varies from 35.2oz with the bushing barrel and small magwell to 37.4oz with the bull barrel and big magwell. If I needed more weight up front, I could add a tungsten guide rod.

The benefit is that the sights are always the same, the trigger is always the same, the grip always feels the same and I get my to enjoy the gun no matter what game I'm playing.

Really, the only trade offs are that its not a 6" and the slide is full weight. I seriously doubt that either will make any difference to me for an appreciable period of time and when it does, I'll have a light 6" built.

The real deal was that when I had it built, adding a second barrel only cost $300 more (barrel and install).

I had an Eagle and bought an Edge. Shot them both in USPSA matches and consistently shot better with the Eagle. Bull barrels and I believe the long frame are not IDPA legal.

Seth, that's my point there are trade offs. Also in your case with all the parts switching you are basically building and rebuilding two guns. While your coming up with a great IDPA combo you're shorting some of the options available for USPSA.

Joe,

Its not an IDPA gun at all. It was built 100% for USPSA with the notion that if I made a few simple changes I could have an IDPA gun.

There's not a single change I would make. It does everything I want it to, it looks exactly like I want it to, and runs like a scalded dog. I didn't want a skeletonized slide and I didn't want a 6".

there's an old saying, beware of the man with one gun. Why? cuz he probably knows how to use it. I would pick the gun with options that work in both disciplines, and practice. Switching from Major to Minor won't make much of difference after awhile because you just know how to shoot both.

Gitty-up

Edited by skip62

I have built an Edge 40 s/w with long wide d/c and unique slide lightened by Gans guns in PA.

It is pretty, light and quick, Infinity /ss magwell and Roupe grip, Zm small m/s housing s/s. Lots of goodies. . .

I also have an Eagle Bushing bbl 40 s/w classic slide, s/s svi magwell and EBG3 grip treatment with s/regular frame assy.

Eagle is 1.5 oz lighter than the Edge and much "flippier". Very similar with similar, almost identical parts. . .

I think a tungsten g/r will remedy.

The Eagle has the "normal zm m/s housing and regular grip radius. . .

The both guns will fit the box w/o mag but the Eagle is lighter and IDPA legal. . .

The Edge custom gun feels better tho. . . USPSA is the way to go. . .

Both are very similar, but I prefer the Edge, but I would use my my Eagle if I shot IDPA! (Edge is not legal for IDPA)

Once I install the TG GR I may be able to advise further. . .

Shoot str8

I think if I were you, I would shoot the 9mm Trojan in IDPA and buy the new gun for USPSA. Double stacks are the way to go for Limited or L10. I think I would go with the 6" Eagle, it only runs a couple hundred more than the regular Eagle plus as you improve you can get the slide litened.

Edited by z40acp

many thanks for the good ideas.

on saturday, i "decided" that i wanted the eagle to "go both ways."

sunday i shot ss minor with the trojan 9mm.

won't talk about those scores! :angry2:

i had purchased the trojan because it was supposed to be a great idpa esp gun.

that made me think.

why am i trying to get one gun to do two jobs.

today i ordered an edge.

it will be here next week.

thanks for all the input.

once it gets here, i will see if i made the right choice.

worst case scenario, i will need an eagle to back up the edge! :roflol:

nels

Edited by bugsbear

Put a tungsten rod in an Eagle with bull barrel and you have an Edge, take the heavy rod out and you have an Eagle, put a light rod in and you have a really light gun. The difference between a bull barrel and bushing barrel Eagle isn't much until you start lightening the slide, I see the Eagle as the better choice overall. Putting weight back is as simple as adding heavy parts, taking weight out is a lot more expensive.

One gun is better in my opinion. No matter how hard you try, it is impossible to get both triggers the same.

.40 and you are ready to rock.

One gun, one load, one reloader, same feel.

It is a no brainer

many thanks for the good ideas.

on saturday, i "decided" that i wanted the eagle to "go both ways."

sunday i shot ss minor with the trojan 9mm.

won't talk about those scores! :angry2:

i had purchased the trojan because it was supposed to be a great idpa esp gun.

that made me think.

why am i trying to get one gun to do two jobs.

today i ordered an edge.

it will be here next week.

thanks for all the input.

once it gets here, i will see if i made the right choice.

worst case scenario, i will need an eagle to back up the edge! :roflol:

nels

Well, I know it is a little too late but you could have compromised with the Tactical. To me, it is somewhere in between the Edge and the Eagle. Spend a few bucks on sights and they work well for Limited. I shot this one at a local match this weekend and I REALLY liked it :cheers:

pro004-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Take this for what it's worth but I've got an Eagle setup that works equally well in both sports. All that's required is to downgrade your powder charge and main spring which are really quick fixes to shoot IDPA. That keeps you used to one setup with just a little less recoil. It makes sense to me and has worked exceptionally well even though I do not shoot IDPA that much. You can even use your IDPA holster in IPSC so that you maintain the same feel. I have found all of this out over the course of 8 years so it's pretty sage advice if I do say so myself. Take it for what it's worth but I'm a "M" class in both sports and always use the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. I hope this helps and good luck with whichever route you take.

DVC,

Bryan

The games are different, ammo is different, stages are different, requirements are different. If you try to build one gun to play both you'll end up with all kinds of compromises, and a gun that isnt great for either game.

Agree.

Unless you're shooting production and SSP with an M&P or Glock or whatever, doing both sports well can be very tough

Put a tungsten rod in an Eagle with bull barrel and you have an Edge, take the heavy rod out and you have an Eagle, put a light rod in and you have a really light gun. The difference between a bull barrel and bushing barrel Eagle isn't much until you start lightening the slide, I see the Eagle as the better choice overall. Putting weight back is as simple as adding heavy parts, taking weight out is a lot more expensive.

+1

go for the eagle