Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Winter Match - seemed like lots of DQs

jhe888

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of this should be a surprise to anybody who shoots IDPA.

I think they're talkng about the competitors weight :)

Uh Dave, I was in the slow/fat division, with misfires. But that's nothing new.

michaels

Personally, I was in "having major brain farts but having a heckva good time" division....

And since the cat is out of the bag regarding "the holstering incident", the gentleman is out of the hospital, doing well and is now on the way home to finish mending for the next match. Can't keep a good man down for long! :cheers:

There were, however, other casualties in that particular bay. Did it have bad karma all the match? Just ask Glockaholic Girl, aka Kitty, aka Thelma. She was awarded one of the two cables she managed to shoot that operated the drop turner and one of the sliding movers on stages 10 and 11 (public range bay, the two on the right side, not the 'house' stages). The -0 ring was safe, but she's heck on 1/8" steel cables! :roflol:

I just looked at the results. Looked like a lot of DQs. Anyone know what happened?

All but a few were equipment related. Mostly not making power factor. A few overweight.

Don

A few overweight.

did you go ??? :roflol:

Yes; I worked the Standards.

When they posted the results at the match there were a lot of INCs too.

These do not appear in the final results now posted on the match site.

http://www.matchreg.com/sw/2009-02-19.htm

I know what the DNFs are but how are the INCs different?

As I understand it, these were the folks that never showed up to shoot the match. We started with 279 competitors and finished with about 240 cpmplete.

Don

Personally, I was in "having major brain farts but having a heckva good time" division....

:roflol:

I was in the "gun malfunction only on the movers" division.

My gun ran perfect on every target until it came to a mover, it just would feed.

Lucky for me you don't get FTN's on the movers or I would have finished alot worse.

Thanks to Kitty for taking them out for me :cheers:

And since the cat is out of the bag regarding "the holstering incident", the gentleman is out of the hospital, doing well and is now on the way home to finish mending for the next match. Can't keep a good man down for long! :cheers:

Glad to hear he's OK. :cheers:

And since the cat is out of the bag regarding "the holstering incident", the gentleman is out of the hospital, doing well and is now on the way home to finish mending for the next match.

Sounds to me like that would be a good match to avoid. <_<

And since the cat is out of the bag regarding "the holstering incident", the gentleman is out of the hospital, doing well and is now on the way home to finish mending for the next match.

Sounds to me like that would be a good match to avoid. <_<

It was a very good match.It was a match to avoid if you couldn't follow the rules.No one got a dq for nothing.

Do they (match officals) or did they ever check to see if firing pin "safeties" as in series 80 and Kimber II are functional? Has any one ever heard of this being done? And we won't even mention the BHP.

Not to throw gas on the fire but that is a good point. If a beavertail doesn't work but the thumb does and that makes it a "unsafe gun" did anybody check the FP safties as I know I took mine out of my para as soon as I got it (shooting limited).

Right on Jane, if you're going to play the game. know the rules.

As a matter of interest did they weigh down to a tenth of an ounce or did they round to the nearest ounce?

Take Care

Bob

It is my understanding that the weights were taken in whole ounces. That is, tenths were ignored giving up to 9/10s leeway. I heard the Sig was 5 ounces over SSP.

I'm not a sig guy, but my buddy is, and they have been talking of the stainless 226 being overweight in idpa on the sig forum for a couple of years stating " its a glock conspiracy against Sig"

What a joke to think that it is possible that one brand could influence a rule change ( weight with mag inserted) to exclude a particular make/model.

A buddy of mine was DQ'ed for not meeting power factor, he said the chrono guys didnt hold with tight grip and didnt tilt the gun back as stated in the rule book, one of his rounds was well over pf, one was 3 fps under, and the third was a little more under. He was not pleased that he didnt get to shoot an additional three rounds through the gun himself, I have seen him chrono his ammo at least 5 different times and it always passed. The rule book was definitely not followed correctly, the sad part was my buddy traveled all the way from Arkansas and if not DQ'ed would of won his division, he was DQ'ed on the next to last stage he shot. He normally goes over to Berryville, Arkansas and shoots with the guys at the birthplace of IDPA, he would never try to shoot a under pf reload to gain an advantage.

I have always told new shooters that the most dangerous thing we do is holstering and drawing the gun.

Suffice to say that we all need to make certain that there is nothing in the trigger guard when holstering and that we always decock or use the thumb safety, if available.

I have always told new shooters that the most dangerous thing we do is holstering and drawing the gun.

Suffice to say that we all need to make certain that there is nothing in the trigger guard when holstering and that we always decock or use the thumb safety, if available.

+100 to that.

I know these posters have never been pumped on adrenaline, immediately loaded for a new stage, and made an error in execution or judgment.

While I did not attend I will comment on this particular statement from a "few" years of experience.

A good RO/SO makes fair and equitable calls on the aspects of the game's rule set.

A GREAT RO/SO goes beyond "fair and equitable" and has the ABILITY to KNOW when a competitor is pummped and on the edge and CAN BRING THEM BACK. I know this because I have seen it first hand many, many times.

Edited by Crusher

Good Morning,

While I was not in the bay when the incident occurred, I was at the match. It was a long, challenging match. I made a mental mistake on my second last stage that cost me first place in my class/division. Fortunately for me, my mistake only cost me time.

I have known the injured shooter for three years. He has a military background and shoots several matches a year. I do not think that what happened is indicative of anything. The shooter finished a stage, reloaded for the next stage, there were several bays with stages shot in succession, and had the AD/ND while holstering. It is unfortunate that it happened, but several people have told me that the range staff acted quickly and professionally and the match continued.

We can armchair quarterback and state what should or should not have happened. As an SO I would like to think that put in a similar situation, I could have yelled stop if I had seen a finger near the trigger guard as a shooter holstered. I also know that the shooter in question is a lefty, as am I, and it is entirely possible that the SO was on the wrong side of the shooter. As several have posted above, we can all learn from this and try to stop it from happening again.

Thank you,

Ken

People,

I had to strip out a fair number of posts from this thread. I realize that some of you are new to BrianEnos.com, so let's make this clear: around here we do not question other members' intelligence, motivations, or common sense. We do not take it upon ourselves to "call DQs" on other members' posts. If you believe another member's post violates the Forum Guidelines, inform a moderator using the PM function and we will deal with it.

Please read the Forum Guidelines, specifically the part that reads:

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

BrianEnos.com has a reputation for being an oasis of civility on the Internet, primarily because the sort of back-and-forth bickering exhibited in this thread does not occur - and is not tolerated when it does - around here.

My apologies for taking a few days away from the board, allowing things to progress as far as they did, before I caught it.

I can only speak for myself but the stages were very good. I walked out at 1830hrs with 5 stages left and a 2.5hr ride ahead of me. I ride alone and I had been up since 4AM. Started 90 minutes late and the way the match was run caused delays like I have never seen before. I have only missed 2 of these matches since 1999 and will not go back.

My 4" 625 will have a 5" barrel in 2 weeks. Anybody want to buy night sights, pm me

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I can only speak for myself but the stages were very good. I walked out at 1830hrs with 5 stages left and a 2.5hr ride ahead of me. I ride alone and I had been up since 4AM. Started 90 minutes late and the way the match was run caused delays like I have never seen before. I have only missed 2 of these matches since 1999 and will not go back.

My 4" 625 will have a 5" barrel in 2 weeks. Anybody want to buy night sights, pm me

Please let the MD know your concerns about the match, it can only make it better next year. It doesn't do anybody any good to bitch about what you didn't like on here. Craig is a member on here but this isn't the place to do it.

I shot on the Friday PM squad. Were there delays....Yes, no more than any other match I have attended. I have never organized a match of this size, but I am sure it is much more difficult that most of can imagine. I applaud the crew for a job well done.

If people followed the rules in the rule book and S&W's range rules, I would suspect a vast majority of theses DQ would not have happened

I experienced nothing at this match that would prevent me from attending again.

It doesn't do anybody any good to bitch about what you didn't like on here.

Had I been bitching about what I did not like my post would have been much, much longer. I have known the Match Director and most of the regular crew at S&W for some time and have a great deal of respect for their hard work. I stated my opinion and no amount of talking will change my mind so I will not waste their time or mine. I will get more use from a 5" 625 than a 4" at this point in my life.

I walked out at 1830hrs with 5 stages left and a 2.5hr ride ahead of me. I ride alone and I had been up since 4AM. Started 90 minutes late and the way the match was run caused delays like I have never seen before. I have only missed 2 of these matches since 1999 and will not go back.

Round_gun_shooter, maybe if you looked at what others do to get to this match you will reconsider. I, for one have to drive 1 hour to the airport then fly for 8 hours, most likely have a layover somewhere, rent a car and drive to the host hotel to shoot the match. I cant imagine what could be so wrong that you would not want to return?