Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic hearing protection

kdiver58

I have two different types of electronic earmuffs, both from Dillon, the old Tactical 7S and the newer HP1s. Most of the time I wear the Tac 7S, just because I like having the single On/Off/volume control knob to manipulate, that controls both muffs, rather than the two buttons, one on each muff of the HP1. Really, other than that, they're both great muffs. I actually have a couple of HP1s around to loan new shooters I take to the range who don't already have their own hearing protection.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff .. thanks... I've never used electronic ear muff indoors .

When indoors I just back to my old reliable Peltor Ultimate 10's

After the watching the pro-ears video .. I'm really thinking about

buying them.

I just checked out their site too, and followed-up with a call... after picking the sales rep's brain for a while, I'm convinced, and I placed an order.

I used to have the Peltor Tactical 6s... clipping was absolutely terrible; I can't believe they're so popular. Then I got the Peltor Sport Tacs... much better (the first Peltors to implement a quasi compression-type technology) but I still got headaches after a match wearing them, so I switched back to my passive Peltor Ultimate 10s. I've been researching the Pro Ears ProMags, Peltor Tactical Pros and the MSA Sordins for a while now, and I think the Pro Ear ProMag Golds seem to be the best out there (1.5ms attack time, 33 NRR, DLSC Compression, etc... plus a 5-yr warranty). My buddy just picked up a pair of the MSA Sordin Supreme Pros, so I'll check them out this weekend and compare them to the Pro Ears and advise my impressions...

Edited by Xfactor

Great stuff .. thanks... I've never used electronic ear muff indoors .

When indoors I just back to my old reliable Peltor Ultimate 10's

After the watching the pro-ears video .. I'm really thinking about

buying them.

I've been researching the Pro Ears ProMags, Peltor Tactical Pros and the MSA Sordins for a while now, and I think the Pro Ear ProMag Golds seem to be the best out there (1.5ms attack time, 33 NRR, DLSC Compression, etc... plus a 5-yr warranty). My buddy just picked up a pair of the MSA Sordin Supreme Pros, so I'll check them out this weekend and compare them to the Pro Ears and advise my impressions...

I just bought the Pro Ears Gold and used them at S&W last week. I had been using Peltor 6-S and realized they were inadequate for four days indoors as an SO. As it was, I still had to double plug but found them comfortable for all day wear and very effective in a concrete bay. The foam plugs added the little extra for short barrels and factory loads. They are expensive, but worth it. I just wish I hadn't forgotten the wires for my iPod.

My buddy just picked up a pair of the MSA Sordin Supreme Pros, so I'll check them out this weekend and compare them to the Pro Ears and advise my impressions...

Please please please !!

Edited by kdiver58

• 3 weeks later...

I had a chance to try out the MSA Sordins at 2 matches this weekend to compare them to my new Pro Ears ProMags. I'll come straight to the point - I sent my Pro Ears back, and ordered a pair of MSA Sordins. Here's why:

1. Sound Deadening - Surprisingly, the MSA Sordins did a much better job deadening the blast of all the Open guns my squad mates were shooting. (I'm an RO, so even though I don't shoot Open, I have to stand right next to Open shooters all afternoon, which requires some seriously good ear protection.) Even though the specs say 18 NRR on the MSA Sordins, vs 33 NRR on the ProMags, the reality was that the MSA Sordins did a much better job deadening muzzle blasts. (The guy I was swapping back and forth with reported the same impression.) Being that the ProMag is supposed to be the "quietest" of all the ProEars models, I decided not to even bother trying the other models.
  2. Fit - I've noticed that pretty much every pair of electronic ear muffs that I've worn don't have a big enough ear cavity to fit comfortably all day like my passive Peltors (or probably most any passive muffs). I thought the larger models like the ProMags would have a little more space than their slimmer model equivalents, but they're the same as all the others. The MSA Sordins, which are a MUCH slimmer profile than the ProMags, actually have about the same amount of room, if not more. They were as comfortable around my ears as any electronic muff I've ever worn.
  3. Size/Weight - The Pro Ears ProMags were too big. I shot a tight stage this weekend with 2 cooper tunnels, and every time I did a walk-through, I was whacking them into something or other... I think any set of muffs this big are potentially an issue for practical shooting. It's also worth noting that the ProMags were quite heavy... Pro Ears does offer a slimmer/lighter version of the ProMag (ProSlim), as well as a couple of other slim models (Predator, Sporting Clay/Stalker), so if that were the only issue, I would have just exchanged for another ProEars model.
  4. Sound/Amplification Quality - Advantage definitely went to the DLSC compression and 1.5ms attack time of the Pro Ears here... but the compression of the MSA Sordins seemed good enough to be happy with. (I'm not sure of the MSA Sordin attack time specs, but the Pro Ears were noticeably smoother in reproducing speech while deadening muzzle blasts.) My concern in this area is that I've heard that sometimes the headaches that shooters get after a day on the range are at least partially due to the brain struggling to make sense of poorly amplified sounds all day long... kind of the auditory equivalent of looking through cloudy sunglasses all day. Hopefully the MSA Sordins will be good enough to keep this from happening like it did on my Peltor electronic muffs.
  5. Other Factors - In favor of the MSA Sordins, I like the fact that they're waterproof, and also that the control switches are buttons rather than dials that stick out (which tend to get bumped and turn on and drain the battery). Not to mention the cost - I found the MSA Sordins on eBay, new-in-the-box, from a reputable store for about $100 less than the ProEars. (CSUK I think it was. Spoke to the shop owner, Robert Brown - heck of a nice guy.)

Anyway, my MSA Sordins should arrive tomorrow, so hopefully they won't disappoint!

• 1 month later...

Xfactor .. thanks for the review. I was just checking

back to see what you thought .. I have already

bought the Pro-Ears.

Well I haven't tried the MSA Sordins but after using my

Pro-ears I know I would have not paid the extra for them.

There is no way these are worth the premium you pay for them.

They are 3.5 times the price of the Radians.

You aren't kidding they are big. I hit them with my hands when putting

them up practicing for steel challenge.

I haven't tried them indoors yet. They are nice but not $300 nice.

I have the Peltor Tac-6's and the Dillon HP1's, I already have Tinnitis and some hearing loss. I find the Dillons bulky and the sound quality abismal, they hum and have static sounding cut-out that is very distracting, and make it impossible at times to hear commands and conversation. The ear seals have started cracking, and chafe. I tossed them in the back of the closet and never use them. The Peltor's are usable, but the sound will not turn up loud enough to be usefull for me, and the cups are too small for my ears. The head band gets in the way of my hats, and the seals are uncomfortable. I bought the JR's hearing muff sweats for them, they helped some, but not enough. I keep em in my range bag to loan out to other shooters, but have gone back to using my 20 year old, Army issue tripple flange, orange earplugs. They're just more comfortable to wear all day, don't get in my way when wearing a hat or shooting long guns, and are just as good at reducing the noise. I'm not going to waste another $200-$300 bucks on another pair of electronic earmuffs, unless I've had the chance to try them out several times for myself, and determined they are a vast improvment over these two useless pair, I currently have. I can't believe with the technowlegy available today, no one can produce a comfortable electronic earmuff with decent sound quality and volume for under $200.

Xfactor .. thanks for the review. I was just checking

back to see what you thought ...

After using the Sordins for a few months, I can say that they are the best electronic muffs I've owned so far. As for why they deaden sound better than the Pro Ears... after comparing the NRR lab test specs between the Sordins and the Pro Ears, it seems that even though the Pro Ears are rated to higher noise reduction overall (and through most of the frequencies tested), the Sordins are superior in the 4000Hz range. Muzzle blasts must fall in this range because, surprisingly, the Sordins deadened the sound of Open guns while RO'ing noticeably better than even the NRR 33 Pro Ears Pro Mags.

• 5 months later...

I know this post is a little late inre of the original date, but I hope this helps out. I ordered a pair of Pro Ears Mag Gold NRR33 from MidwayUSA. I tested them for the day at the range, and they the hearing protection aspect seemed great while shooting my 9mm, and 45acp. No problem. The comfort of them was a different story. They were too heavy and bulky, and caused some pain in the lower part of my left ear. Strangely enough, they didn't seem to seal well eithter? For that price, I wasn't happy, and sent them back to Midway for a refund. Midway is very accomodating to say the least. I am beginning to think the best way to go with hearing protection is the "passive" type.

bt

Edited by btom

I have used many muffs that I have ended up selling for one reason or another.

Pro Ear Dimension - Too big for running around and long gun shooting, best you can get for paper punching indoors

Peltor 6S - too tight for my big head not well made - I use these as loaners to friends

MSA Sordin - currently used excellent protection, amplification and can plug in my IPod while working a stage

1/2 dozen non-electronics also used and sold.

I have 2 pairs of Pro Ears Magnums, and 1 set of Peltor Tac 6.

One of the Pro Ears is about 11 yrs old and has been sent back to the manufacturer once when the electronics stopped working. The other set if about 5 yrs old and has also been back once for the same reason.

I've gone through several headbands and ear-seals for each set of the Pro-Ears.

I will not be buying any more ProEars. The plastic headband does not provide enough tension for an adequate seal when wearing eyepro. The headband loses what tension it has very quickly. This is my biggest complaint. You can get a metal behind the neck band, but that doesn't work for me. I have asked repeatedly over the years if they will develop a metal over the head band and they always say they have no plans for this.

The ProEars are not waterproof (which is important where I live).

The ProEars have bukly knobs that catch on things and accidentally switch on, thereby draining the batteries.

The batteries do not last all that long, anyway.

I will say that when the ProEars are working and they are relatively new, the sound quality is very good.

As to the Tac 6s, they are about 12 yrs old and still work. Not great, but they work. They also fit under a PASGT helmet.

My next set of electronic ear pro will be either MSA/Sordin Pro-X, or the Peltor Com-Tac II.

Both have their fans in the tactical community. They are very durable, the batteries last hundreds of hours, they fit under helmets, are waterproof, you can get a cheek weld when using them with a long gun, etc.

I used to like ProEars, and for some time I thought they were THE stuff, but now I know different.

My 2 cents

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro IV and the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X?

As far as i can tell the main difference is 50 bucks less for the IVs. The Xs have a plug in for your ipod and the IVs don't.

Is there anything else?

• 1 month later...
Has anyone tried the model with the Neckband? I purchased a set of Pro-X and the head band wasn't big enough for my head. The ear cups wouldn't sit over my ears.

Or is there another solution?

I'd also like to know. I have an XL size cranium, typically wearing a 7-3/4 hat, i.e. "one size fits all" hats don't fit me. I hesitate to dump $250 on the MSA Sordins if they won't fit. I've never tried neckband earmuffs. Are they comfortable? Do they stay put? Do they work with XL heads?

And can anyone comment on the relative merits of the Peltor Tactical Pro (which appears to supersede the 7s), in headband or neckband model? How do they compare to the Sordins and Pro-Ears, and will they fit those of us with big heads?

Has anyone tried the model with the Neckband? I purchased a set of Pro-X and the head band wasn't big enough for my head. The ear cups wouldn't sit over my ears.

I'd also like to know. I have an XL size cranium, typically wearing a 7-3/4 hat, i.e. "one size fits all" hats don't fit me. I hesitate to dump $250 on the MSA Sordins if they won't fit. I've never tried neckband earmuffs. Are they comfortable? Do they stay put? Do they work with XL heads?

And can anyone comment on the relative merits of the Peltor Tactical Pro (which appears to supersede the 7s), in headband or neckband model? How do they compare to the Sordins and Pro-Ears, and will they fit those of us with big heads?

I have a pair of the Peltor Tactical Pros as well as a set of the MSA Sordin Supreme Pros...can't recall if mine are the X or not, but the size is the same on both. I added the gel earsels on mine.

I wear a size 7 hat and even I noticed that the MSA's are a bit snug. I also noticed that my ears barely fit inside them. They do, but there isn't much extra space. I love the electronics on these as they simply seem to work better than the Tac Pros, but after a while I can't wait to take them off. Because of that alone, I wear the Tac Pros almost all the time when I shoot now. The MSA's are better when shooting a rifle or shotgun because they're thinner, so that is one situation where I will use them. The MSA's seem to cycle faster in response to changes in the noise level, and you can hear more when they are actually cancelling noise. That makes them a little better when you're trying to talk to someone on the line (I have to do this when instructing). Hope that helps some. R,

I have a pair of the Peltor Tactical Pros as well as a set of the MSA Sordin Supreme Pros...can't recall if mine are the X or not, but the size is the same on both. I added the gel earsels on mine.

I wear a size 7 hat and even I noticed that the MSA's are a bit snug. I also noticed that my ears barely fit inside them. They do, but there isn't much extra space. I love the electronics on these as they simply seem to work better than the Tac Pros, but after a while I can't wait to take them off. Because of that alone, I wear the Tac Pros almost all the time when I shoot now. The MSA's are better when shooting a rifle or shotgun because they're thinner, so that is one situation where I will use them. The MSA's seem to cycle faster in response to changes in the noise level, and you can hear more when they are actually cancelling noise. That makes them a little better when you're trying to talk to someone on the line (I have to do this when instructing). Hope that helps some. R,

Thanks, that was helpful.. I ended up ordering the Peltor Tactical Sport, on sale at Botach. They appear to be slimmer in profile than the Tac Pro.

I have the Peltor Tactical, but saw on the Sportman's guide website the Guide gear electronics. They are only $19.97. So I figured why not give them a try for that price. The only difference between them and lots of the expensive competitors is the size. The GG ones are larger and wider, but depending on what you need, you can't beat the price. I keep them in my range bag as backup.

Something that I do that seems to make a difference is pointing the mics on the hearing protection to the rear. I have always worn them this way so I can hear what the RO is saying. I notice that if I have my back to the stage when another competitor is shooting, it seems louder than if I am facing the stage. YMMV.

I am considering purchase of electronic ear muffs and switching away from passive muffs.

I do a variety of firearms training, ROing, and various types of shooting sports (mostly pistol though)

My main problem with my passive muffs is half the time I just cannot hear what people are saying on a range.

I do already suffer from tinnitus or some kind of hearing loss (in particular, loud noises cause a bit of crackling sound) so I am keen to protect my ears as much as possible.

From the posts thus far, experience seems to suggest I'd be better off with the msa sordins or peltor swatacs than I would the pro-ears gold mags.

Anyone care to share any extra experiences/recommendations??

Thanks....

I am considering purchase of electronic ear muffs and switching away from passive muffs.

I do a variety of firearms training, ROing, and various types of shooting sports (mostly pistol though)

My main problem with my passive muffs is half the time I just cannot hear what people are saying on a range.

I do already suffer from tinnitus or some kind of hearing loss (in particular, loud noises cause a bit of crackling sound) so I am keen to protect my ears as much as possible.

From the posts thus far, experience seems to suggest I'd be better off with the msa sordins or peltor swatacs than I would the pro-ears gold mags.

Anyone care to share any extra experiences/recommendations??

Thanks....

I don't have any experience with the Pro-Ears or swatacs, but I can say that between the Peltor Tac Pros and the MSA Sordins, I'd give the edge in the electronics to the MSA's. They cycle faster and I'll have to remember to compare them again, but I think they will go to a higher volume as well. I'm an instructor so I'll double plug (have to with that much exposure) and crank the volume up and I can normally hear people pretty well with either pair. The Sordins seem to be able to shut down all the gunfire, but still let through enough of people talking that you can hear them. If it's really noisy, the Peltors seem to shut down everything a bit more so it's harder to hear people when there's shooting going on that's close by (imagine being on a squad and standing back a bit from the shooter). R,

G-man, you mention the gel insert for the Sordins. Is it beneficial? The only thing stopping the Sordins from being perfect for me is that they push my glasses into the side of my head, which hurts after a few hours. I imagine they could also seal around my glasses better...

Do the gel inserts help with that?

Edited by bofe954