Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Long Does it Take To Fix a Broken Glock?

Bill Nesbitt

The answer is 2 minutes and 28 seconds. :cheers:

I shot the USPSA match at Rayners last Sunday. On one of my last few stages, the trigger didn't set when I loaded. :unsure: The only time this had happened before was when I was trying to use a trigger stop. I was pretty sure I had taken it out. I jacked another round in the chamber and the trigger set forward as it should. The gun ran fine. On the last stage it did the same thing when loading. I jacked another round in the chamber and the gun ran fine. When I went to the safe area to bag my gun after the match., the trigger wouldn't set at all unless I held the trigger back. So, you all know that the trigger spring is broken. Right? :ph34r:

After I got home I decided to time myself on the repair. :cheers: I got out a spare spring. You all have spare springs, don't you? I set out all the tools I would need. A punch and optional needle nose pliers. :) I set the assembled Glock on the bench and punched the stop watch. 2 minutes and 28 seconds later I had completed the repair and tested the trigger reset. :cheers:

Aren't Glocks wonderful? :roflol:

This is the first trigger spring I have broken. Susan has broken 2. Everything is almost back to stock on my Glocks. 3 1/2 Glock connector, reduced power striker spring, stock trigger spring and a little polishing. Gives a nice 2 1/2 to 3 pound trigger that is easy to shoot.

I don't know when the spring really broke. I guess it proves that I set the trigger rather than slap it. :surprise:

Nick, we haven't decided on any majors yet this year. Might cut back a little. :(

I used the needle nose pliers to grab the little loop of broken spring that was stuck on the ejector housing.

I'm not sure what brand of spring it was. It was standard power. I like a good trigger safety reset. :) I replaced it with a factory spring from Brownells.

I see that you too are bored when you start timing yourself doing a repair. LOL!

I think that I'm starting to get a little cabin fever myself. R.D. and I have'nt shot our pistols in over a month. We had planned to attend the first match at Rayner's, but he was pretty sick so we decided not to go. We are looking forward to the matches there in March though.

Just this Wed. I could'nt take it anymore and went over to a friends house to shoot some clay pigeons. It was 55 deg. and sunny and we had a blast.

My G34 has approx. 10K on it now and I have yet to replace any internal parts. I do have a couple trigger springs so I might just go ahead swap that out to be on the safe side. :rolleyes:

Cool post Bill, keep-em coming! :cheers:

Bill,

So, are you saying that when you break a trigger spring in a Glock, if you simply cycle the action twice you can then run the gun through an entire stage without a problem?

Duane, the best answer is I don't know. :unsure:

I don't really know when the spring broke or if it was just getting weaker at first. I do know that if the trigger spring is broken, you can hold the trigger to the rear while you cycle the slide and the trigger will set. I did not hold the trigger to the rear when I cycled the slide the second time at the match. :mellow:

I think the next time I have a chance I will do some testing with a detached trigger spring. :cheers:

Usually not, DT...from what I've seen. They will fail to reset the trigger. You might get a reset out of cycling the slide again with gusto. It might reset under recoil. I might go watch an opera this year in the theater. Probably not though. ;)

I haven't broken one, myself...but I've been around a number of them.

If you have broken one or more of them, check these things out:

- Ensure that the hole that they attach to the trigger bar with isn't small. If it is, drill it out to a larger diameter.

- Ensure that hole is free from burrs.

- Be careful who's trigger spring you put in the gun. One well known spring maker showed a likelihood of having a spring break. These were common in drop-in kits from various places. At one point, Glock shooters were wearing me out with asking for spare springs at matches. That has slowed down (maybe they just got tired of me preaching to them). I have to assume they might have gotten better.

- Oh, and make sure you are installing them correctly. I'd be really careful using pliers.