Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder cleanup? Is there an easy way?

I am new to my 550 and I have been dumping powder like crazy. I think I have it all fixed (got a proper #3 shell plate and adjusted the plate down tighter), but I won't know til my next reload session.

Anyway, I was wondering what is the process of cleaning up or reclaiming all that dumped powder. The only way I found to get it all out of the press was compressed air.

Anyway, any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Reclaiming dropped powder is out. Not worth the effort.

I load 9 Major on a 550 and with the case full to the top, it don't take much to spill a little here and there.

I keep an aerosol can of "Duster" next to the press. Duster is the stuff used to blow dust and crap off of keyboards. Drop a little powder, just Duster it away. After each loading session I also sweep the loading bench with a little wisk broom as well as clean up any droppings on the floor.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a small old wet/dry vac that sets next to the workbench. I've adapted it to use a piece of automotive tubing as a hose extension. Good for getting into tight places but can't leave it on long as the restricted air pressure puts a strain on the motor.

I liked the comp air but have not run a line to the new shop yet so I have been using a vacuum instead and like it better. The only thing is on the shellplate I need to remove the buttons first or else fish them out of the vac. :)

Canned air and a vac every once in a while. A buddy has a little air compressor he got at harbor freight. I probably have paid for it twice in $5 cans of air. Only in America can someone get us to buy air and water.

Reclaimed powder? Might as well throw some black pepper in there too since thats what the effect of mixing different powders, dirt, lint and everything else on your bench is gonna have. :P

Reclaimed powder? Might as well throw some black pepper in there too since thats what the effect of mixing different powders, dirt, lint and everything else on your bench is gonna have.

Hmmm.... I wonder how that would go in chili? Black pepper, red pepper, chili powder, gun powder... :cheers:

To everyone who uses a vacum cleaner wether it be a shop vac or household, you guys have obviously never seen someone do the flaming chicken dance. Thats what happens when the powder ignites from the electric motor inside the the vacum. Youll see this dance occasionally at indoor ranges with inexperienced cleaning personel. Its rather comical to see a shop vac pop the head off of the unit, at the same time give set the operator on fire like lint from the dryer! :roflol: +1 on sweeping up powder droppings and using an air compressor to blow off the press. I have to say I havent seen the flaming chicken dance in quite some time, Ill have to look on you tube I think I might be able to dig up a video. H!