Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr bullets

WildWest N AZ

Im not new to reloading, but new to loading 9mm? Just wondering the G17 will eat them and run good with that grain of bullet. I run 180's in my 40 loads and like the way gun handles with a heavy bullet less snap. Wondering if the same applies for the 9mm loads?? Thanks!

Probably more Production shooters like 147s in their 9s than anything else regardless of gun brand. We issue 147gr JHPs for our folks carrying 9s (G17, 19 and 26s) and they work great.

Fromtier 147gr Plated CMJ's are all I run in my 9's.

3.9gr Unique will give a PF of 137.

I've found that you will definitely need to try different recoil springs with the 147gr bullets... Even at 135+PF they wouldn't feed right in my G17/G34 without a 13lb spring. Quite a different experience that 115/124 for sure.

Edited by lugnut

I've found that you will definitely need to try different recoil springs with the 147gr bullets... Even at 135+PF they wouldn't feed right in my G17/G34 without a 13lb spring. Quite a different experience that 115/124 for sure.

I use my load in a stock G17 and a friend uses his in a stock 34, no problems whatsoever.

Hello: I like the Precision Moly coated bullets for my G17. I load then to 131PF and they are very soft and accurate. I also use a 13 ISMI recoil spring with 3 coils cut off. Thanks, Eric

I like them too, but in my CZ I had to shorten the OAL from RN bullets to get them to feed properly

Ya, good luck finding anything in stock. Montana Gold probably the only thing in stock right now. You'll wait for Precisions or Black Bullet Int, and you will really wait for Zero's.

As for data:

147gr Zero JHP

3.2 gr TG

1.125 OAL

WSP

131pf

147gr Precision

3.3 to 3.4gr Solo 1000

1.125 OAL

WSP

130pf

N320 is about the same weights as TG for loading. With a Montana Gold expect .1 to .2 gr more powder to get equal pf.

Edited by SA Friday

Thank you for reloading InFo! :cheers: Yep, MG is the only place thats got'um 115 per K! Abit much for 147's, I talked with Zero direct she told me that because of the companies small size that they make different caliber bullets in lots. She couldnt say when they would get back to the 40 or the 9's???? :yawn: But when they do I think Im going to my Pops tax ID into affect so i can buy direct.

Also I have alot of TG, and N320 on hand can anyone give me a idea on what to start with?

For N320, try 4.0 grains to start. Chrono from there, but depending on barrel length and rifling you shouldn't have to go plus or minus more than .2 grain to give you a 130ish power factor in a Glock, in my experience.

Also whats a good OAL for 9mm in Glock?

I have run tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm handloads at 1.120" through my Glocks. Though my G34 also gobbles them up at 1.100", and I'm currently experimenting with 1.150", as well. I'd say 1.120" is a safe bet, then you can experiment with loading them longer to tweak for accuracy or reliability - though in my experience neither should be an issue in a 9mm Glock.

Thanks for OAL, I figured 1.120 to 1.130 would keep me good. I run 1.130 in my G35 and have never had an problems with OAL.

Ok I heard alot a stuff about over crimping the plated bullets? I like crimping my 40 rounds .420 just to be safe. So I have no idea what should or what are you guys crimping the plated stuff at? For the price I would like to try some but I worry about compressing the bullet in with running a light crimp.

Also I have alot of TG, and N320 on hand can anyone give me a idea on what to start with?

For N320, try 4.0 grains to start. Chrono from there, but depending on barrel length and rifling you shouldn't have to go plus or minus more than .2 grain to give you a 130ish power factor in a Glock, in my experience.

? That sounds a little high for a 147gr bullet. It sounds more like a 124gr bullet load. 3.6gr of N320 with a 135gr Zero gave me 131pf out of my G17.

Edited by SA Friday

? That sounds a little high for a 147gr bullet. It sounds more like a 124gr bullet load. 3.6gr of N320 with a 135gr Zero gave me 131pf out of my G17.

3.9gr/N320 is the max for the 147.

Reference - VV load data.

I use 3.6gr under the 147gr Frontier CMJ.

Edited by RePete