Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you are currently using a shok buff

RangerTrace

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do.

I use them more for how they make the gun feel though. I prefer how a shock buffed gun shoots over a non-shock buffed gun.

I'm sure they protect the frame a bit too!

J

I use them in all of my 1911s and 2011s. They do seem to soften the shock to my elbows and wrists a bit and are cheap insurance. When you install them, just be sure to trim the edges so that they are no larger in size than the head of the guide rod. I also check them for wear every time I clean the gun.

Tried 'em, hated 'em. ;)

while they did make the gun feel a tad softer in recoil, they always seemed to start to disentegrate during matches and gunk things up. For me, any percieved advantage in feel was outwieghed by the murphy factor.

my experience with shock-buffs are limited to single stack .45 1911s, and they always seems to cause more problems than not, so i gave up on them. i know a lot of folks who run them without any issues on high-cap guns.

+1. I love the way my .45 1911 shoots with one, for about the first 100 rounds. Then it gets all chewed up and causes nothing but problems. I thought it was because I had a Taurus 1911, but I guess not.

Bad bad bad bad bad.

Put a shockbuff in one of my limited guns, and you'll turn it into a piece of junk as far as recoil is concerned.

That says a lot to me!!

My Full size CQB is the only pistol I have that came with one and runs 100% with one. Its a 38 Super and doesn't get shot nearly as much as my Limited gun. The main reason I asked the question, is because I was wondering about the longevity of my pistol. I need this pistol to last for as long as possible. I run a 14 pound recoil spring and replace them regularly. I have not tried one (shok buff) in my Limited gun and after reading these posts, I probably won't even try one!!

THANKS!

Bad bad bad bad bad.

Put a shockbuff in one of my limited guns, and you'll turn it into a piece of junk as far as recoil is concerned.

I'm going to side with Matt on this.

Had a buff in my Springfield SS, I was doing nothing but chasing problems.

Extraction and feeding failures, more than I could count.

Really screwed up my whole year.

Pulled the shock buff out and it all went away.

Now it my most reliable gun. I'll never use them again.

If you want a shot at turning your gun into a Jam-O-Matic this is a good place to start.

I will follow up to my original post, but remember, I tried them and don't currently use them now.

But, I NEVER had a problem, never had one break-up or cause any malfunction. I replaced them about every 5000 rounds, and besides a bit of a circular indent from the spring resting against it, the Shok-Buf looked like new.

Obviously, others have had different results

They restrict slide movement, they come apart and jam things up

And you this how?????

Because I tried to sling shot the slide and couldn't get it to work with one in there, took it out and it was fine. I've also had them come apart and get jammed in places they shouldn't. After those 2 incidents I'll never use them.

They restrict slide movement, they come apart and jam things up

And you this how?????

Because I tried to sling shot the slide and couldn't get it to work with one in there, took it out and it was fine. I've also had them come apart and get jammed in places they shouldn't. After those 2 incidents I'll never use them.

I was hoping for a better story :angry2:

I have always used one and never had a problem. I change them about every 500 rounds or so. Whenever it gets chewed up early I know it is time for a spring change. Usually when I change it there are only light indents on it and it looks like it would easily do another 500 rounds.

I'm too have always used them, and have NEVER had a problem with them. Have seen them get a little chewed up in open guns, but never in my LTD guns. I check it every time I clean the gun and replace it when it looks like it needs it. Maybe some of you should clean your guns a little more often and check Mr. Shok Buff while you're in there. :roflol: