Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitness for Shooting Sports

JeffWard

First of all, I'm a 13-year experienced Master Personal Trainer (and a Novice USPSA competitor). I work predominantly with professional golfers in the Orlando (soon to be Tampa) area, and I've developed a very successful training program for speed and skill-position athletes, called "C-CUTS". The acronym is: Core-Centric Unilateral Training Systems. I currently teach new Personal Trainers, and 10-12 of my former clients, are now trainers. My clients have ranged from golfers, to pitchers, to quarterbacks and defensive backs on the elite high school and college level, for off-season conditioning. I also do post-rehab and senior-functional training.

Although competitive shooting does NOT require the power of many other sports, it does require agility, quickness, stability, flexibility, stamina, and aerobic fitness at the higher levels. Many of our sport's recreational shooters suffer competitively due to a lack of fitness, and an excess of body weight. I regularly adapt my C-CUTS program to competitive amateur athletes, mostly golfers, who are accountants, or lawyers, or doctors for a living, but still wish to compete at a higher level, or return to a higher level in golf. Many of these "athletes" come to me for weight loss, blood pressure, and rehabilitative issues, but giving the program a golf-based theme makes it much less "dreary", and much more inspiring. They work hard on their performance, and surprise-suprise, the weight comes off, the pressure comes down, and the back feels much better.

I don't expect to train pro shooters for a living... but I enjoy developing programs for athletes and weekend-athletes. My "day-job" keeps me comfortably in bullets and brass...

I'd like the inputs of some competitive, and recreational shooters, to help be develop a shooter's fitness program. Like my other programs, the basis will be core strength (abdominals and low-back), balance, agility, and stability oriented. The ability to establish a stable shooting "platform" while leaning, moving, and competing on wet or loose surfaces... Flexibility, cardiovascular fitness for heart-rate control, and fine-motor-skill training, for basic proprioceptive skill. Durability/injury-resistance would seem to rank high too, and for the elite shooters, movement pattern training and quickness, running at angles, changing directions, and stretching routines for performance, and multi-day events.

1) Is anybody interested in the draft and follow-on programs?

2) Is anybody a Florida area competitor/enthusiast who would like to be a "test-subject"?

3) Is anyone currently a trainer/instructor, who would like to add an element like this to their training, like the golf teaching pros I work with do?

4) Is anyone interested in trading services, shooting instruction, for fitness?

PM me for details!

Just pinging the forum for interest!!!

JeffWard

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only am I interested in being in better shape for the shooting sports but am interested in a overall healthy body.

I currnently train on a Bowflex 3 times a week and try to run on a treadmill on the off days.

Though I am not in Florida, nor do I have anything to offer, I would be interested in any program you may have to develop a healthier body.

I am a 44 year old in Maryland. Can I be of use?

Edited by Bigpops

It is funny to me how "my exercise is best while 'yours' is lame."

I see this in cycling all the time. "You didn't do 3 days of hill repeats...you'll never win"..."you ONLY did 3 days"

And I do have a few ideas/routines that ARE shooting specific...but I think I'll not share them... <_<

PM inbound...I'm always open to new ideas

pm me,..I would like to hear them! I justed started back at the gym 4 weeks ago,...I cut back on breads,..and load up on the vegetables and lean meats. I am getting to the gym 3 times a week,..and sometimes 4 if I sneak in a quick 30 mins of cardio. I am lacking in leg speed,..need a plan to work on that.

First of all, I'm a 13-year experienced Master Personal Trainer

For what it's worth I think anything beyond a good but largely general fitness program will take up time that would be better spent practicing the sport itself if optimal performance in competition is the primary goal.

Isn't that what folks told Tiger when he first got on tour? Hhhmmm . . .

Discussion and light debate are good.

Any "my karate is better than you karate" is not acceptable.

- Admin

But Flex . . . my Karate is better than your karate . . . :roflol:

Isn't that what folks told Tiger when he first got on tour? Hhhmmm . . .

That's largely the point. Tigers exercise program was very basic. I don't know what he does now, but what he did as he rose to the top was run, ride a stationary bike, and for the most part basic free weight exercises. I listed the exercises verbatim from Tigers own book a few posts above. As I recall, the controversy with Tiger at the time was that he lifted weights at all.

I guess if I could get to the range (which is farther than the gym),..I would just go the range and practice the movement drills.

I have limited time,..so going to the gym will have to do until I can get to the range in the spring. I still think it will help improve my overall times, if I work on specific movements. Hopefully it will help me lose some weight as well.

Think I'll chime in on the subject. I'm a fitness coach too. I guess from the definition given earlier I can be considered a "master trainer".

Some things I have noticed that I think would help shooters improve their game.

#1) If you are over fat(excess body fat) lose some of the groceries.

#2) Do not neglect leg work, keep your legs strong.

#3) Work on flexibility, and make sure you stretch your heel tendons(Achilles).

#4) If you are 35 or older, you may not tolerate exercise like you did when you were younger. Recovery/rest is is equally important as exercise. Nutrition needs are different also.

#5) It is better to under train than to over train. (We have become a society of extremes). That can lead to extremely painful injures.

After getting the PM (below), I gutted the thread.

From the forum guidelines:

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

It's clear that folks think that is being violated in this particular forum. I agree.

It needs to stop.

- Admin

I'm not sure why these guys can't let JeffWard have his say without their "approval" (he wasn't asking for a debate just participants)...but xxxxx seems to feel the need to debate him...not very friendly to a new member IMHO...

Thread title - Fitness for Shooting Sports, Pro Fitness Trainer, Putting out a Training Plan... Seriously

Not trying to be a jerk but it seems everytime someone has a "new" fitness idea certain members jump all over it and attempt to debate its usefulness...maybe I've had too much coffee...?

Thanks

Thank you for the dozens of PM responses...

I'm going to do this right, and work up a whole routine, with some options, and reply back to everyone who PMed for info.

Since I'm working extra hours right now to start up our new school in Tampa, it will be a bit delayed, but will put something out in a few weeks!

Thank you all for the helpful responses with where YOU feel you need work. I'll be better able to produce a targeted routine.

JeffWard

PS... Don't worry about chasing off a new member... My skin is pretty thick, and controversy only makes me better at what I love/do. If we are never critcally critiqued, we can never grow...

PS... Don't worry about chasing off a new member... My skin is pretty thick, and controversy only makes me better at what I love/do. If we are never critcally critiqued, we can never grow...

I agree with that. Maybe Flex can put the discussion back up. Otherwise the thread is like "what do you think of Para Ordinance's, only don't post anything bad."

Just so the two of you know...it's not about you two...and it's not open to debate.

You were slinging slop on the forum and I was getting messages from people that thought it sucked. I agreed.

I've said something here 3 times now.

It will stop. Understand that.

- Admin.

• 5 months later...

I am another firearms Trainer and Shooting Coach who is also a Sports Nutritionist and Senior Fitness Instructor.

General and specific fitness is often overlooked, especially in clay target sports. This is a weakness that is easily fixed.

I congratulate those of you who train shooters to be athletes. At the end of the day, the shooter who is flexible, reasonably strong and who DOES NOT FATIGUE is likely to come out ahead.

March On! :bow:

I'm late to the thread, so I hope things are going well for you guys. However, if you're still open for sharing information, I'm all ears. Well. large belly but the rest is ears.

My goal is to compete at the GA state match the end of October. I do not expect to take any prizes but I'm going to help with the match and I want my outdoor endurance to allow me to serve however the MD needs.

Here are the challenges:

1. Much nearer 50 than 35.

2. Mostly an indoor office worker that reads for exercise.

3. BF in the Obese level. Chart says 33%, scale says 40%.

Advantages:

1. 90 days I can work with.

2. Already in the climate so environmental adjustments are as easy as walking outside.

3. Wife is also interested in weight loss and will support it.

I don't have a lot of equipment but do have a few hand size weight and a big water bottle. Suggestions are very welcome.

Leam

Edited by leam

Leam,

I am 44 (near 45) and in the same boat you are. I looked at EVERYTHING and selected a program that has been nothing short of amazing! I am on the 2nd phase, 40th (ish) day of P90X.

Not to steal the company line - BUT I am already in better shape than when I was 24.

I have always been fit but over the years let myself go a little. Gained the belly, etc. Well, this past month has removed over 6% body fat and has toned me up. The belly is almost gone and there are no love handles.

The program requires minimal equipment and can be performed wherever you have a DVD player.

Warning - this is intense. You will be sore every single day. There is a pretest to make sure your in healthy enough shape to begin but it is not that drastic. My weakness is (was) the pull-ups but there are ways around that. (power bands)

Anyway, feel free to PM me if your interested. I will provide you my phone number if you like. I really am impressed with this program and would be more than willing to share my experience so far. And NO, I am not reimburrsed in any way.

Steve

Leam,

I am 44 (near 45) and in the same boat you are. I looked at EVERYTHING and selected a program that has been nothing short of amazing! I am on the 2nd phase, 40th (ish) day of P90X.

Not to steal the company line - BUT I am already in better shape than when I was 24.

I have always been fit but over the years let myself go a little. Gained the belly, etc. Well, this past month has removed over 6% body fat and has toned me up. The belly is almost gone and there are no love handles.

The program requires minimal equipment and can be performed wherever you have a DVD player.

Warning - this is intense. You will be sore every single day. There is a pretest to make sure your in healthy enough shape to begin but it is not that drastic. My weakness is (was) the pull-ups but there are ways around that. (power bands)

Anyway, feel free to PM me if your interested. I will provide you my phone number if you like. I really am impressed with this program and would be more than willing to share my experience so far. And NO, I am not reimburrsed in any way.

Steve

My wife and I are in week 8. It really is amazing. I've always worked out, but this program has already produced some awesome results.

• 9 months later...

I tore a calf muscle during a match, and it hurt like hell. Started the stage by shooting a USPSA size steel plate, and then running into a shoot house and engaging bad guys without hitting goods guys. About halfway to the shoot house, it felt like someone hit me in the back of my right calf with a baseball bat. I asked the RO if he had kicked me while he was running behind me, and he said no. I limped through the other stages (two handgun, two rifle) and went home and wrapped it, iced it, and elevated it. The next day my leg had swollen to about twice its normal size, and I went to my doctor. It is scary when a doctor, who sees ugly medical stuff all the time, tells you your leg looks terrible. After 4 weeks in a walking boot with a wedge, it was back to normal.

I echo what has been said about the importance of stretching the Achilles, and doing good stretches in general. Any ideas on how to stretch out the leg areas?

Thanks in advance,

LeonCarr

Edited by LeonCarr

The most effective way of stretching is called PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation). This is also known as contract/relax. Google it if you are interested in more information.

If you are talking about a pre-stage/match routine so you don't tear another muscle, you are confusing warming up (which should be done before strenuous activity) with stretching (which more often than not should be done after strenuous activity).

Jeff

Did you develop the program?

I understand the comment about having limited time and thus focusing that time on practicing rather than fitness, however, if you already have a fitness routine it would be good to change some of the exercises to be specific for shooting.

Is the program gender specific, i.e. are there exercises for females vs males?

julie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I echo what has been said about the importance of stretching the Achilles, and doing good stretches in general. Any ideas on how to stretch out the leg areas?

Thanks in advance,

LeonCarr

You can try lunges they deffinatly stretch the legs i do them befor i go running :D