Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Participation at Matches

99gski

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in (USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, Steel, NRA, etc.)?

USPSA and ICORE

2. How often do you shoot revolver at the club level?

About half the time

3. How many majors do you shoot each year (state/regional/areas)? And with a revolver?

10. Just started with revolver at the Nationals last year

4. Do you shoot a national championship with your revolver and if so which one(s)?

Yes, USPSA (and IRC this year)

5. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver? If so, which ones and why?

Yes, whichever ones are available in my area.

6. Why do you like to compete in the revolver divisions?

I like to reload.

7. If you don't shoot revolver in matches, are you interested in giving it a try - why or why not?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in (USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, Steel, NRA, etc.)?

IDPA SSR, ICORE, USPSA, IDPA ESR in that order. I shoot USPSA to get match practise for the other 2 sports, shooting in Lim 10 with my ICORE gear and Revolver with my IDPA gear. I shoot IDPA ESR at a few local matches with my carry gun and 357 Mag ammo just to wake up the SOs and remind my self I should really try to avoid 100 rd gun fights.

At least once a week year round, more from Apr - Nov.

3. How many majors do you shoot each year (state/regional/areas)? And with a revolver?

~12 with a revolver, 9+ are IDPA state, regional and National matches - the rest are ICORE

4. Do you shoot a national championship with your revolver and if so which one(s)?

IDPA Indoor, IDPA Outdoor, and the IRC. I shot the European IDPA Championship in 07 as well.

5. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver? If so, which ones and why?

Yes. I'd love to shoot more USPSA Revolver. Besides time, there are 3) primary barriers for me and other local shooters I talk to: 1) the cost of ammo to be competitive is prohibitive. 45 ACP/Major is the dominant competition rd in USPSA. I spend much more anually on ammunition than gear. I can shoot twice as many rounds with a 38 than with a 45. This has worsened recently and I doubt it will get any better in the near future. 2) revolvers are more competitive overall in IDPA than USPSA because of stage design rules. Obviously this is not an issue in ICORE. and 3) there is more local IDPA and ICORE revolver competition in my area in general than in USPSA (primarily because of 1 and 2).

I'll try some SCSA this year. There's no Bianchi in my area.

It is more of a challenge, I like to people I've met and I actually carry/hunt with a revolver.

7. If you don't shoot revolver in matches, are you interested in giving it a try - why or why not?

Best Regards,

Craig

Edited by Bones

1. IDPA

2. Twice monthly. All revolver.

3. 2-3. All revolver.

4. No, can't afford to go.

5. Sure. ICORE if there was a compitition within a two hour drive. I've met so many jackasses at local USPSA matches that I don't think I'll ever try it again.

6. I carry a revolver everyday. So I compete/practice with the same platform. I like the dicipline of managing rounds.

Regards,

Charley.

Central NC

Sorry to come late to the party. I haven't been on the forum in a month!

1. USPSA. Try to do PSA Shootout annually.

2. Club matches weekly from March through October, except when major matches or family events interfere. Avg 3/month.

3. Shoot revolver at Area 8, PSA Shootout, Western PA Section, Summer Blast [R.I.P.].

4. USPSA Nationals 3 times in last 6 years, shooting revo.

5. Not enough time to support another sport. If I started multiple matches per weekend, I'd add another USPSA match before doing IDPA matches. No ICORE nearby, though that looks like fun.

6. Shooting revolver suits my traditional values, and esthetics.

7. N/A.

• 1 month later...

Hi Julie,

Many years ago, I started competing in IPSC with a Model 66. Later, Mike bought me a 610 but it was just easier to shoot a semiauto of some type. In IMSHA in addition to shooting a 22 my other favorite division was revolver. It was only when I was forced to pick one sport to play in did I give up on the revolver. If ther was an ICORE match close by, I would consider it.

Julie,

Thanks for taking an interest in us lowly revo shooters!

Also, I just sent my 627 in for repair, and S&W did a great job and turned it around quick.

USPSA production, rarely USPSA revo, and NRA hunter pistol silhouette

2-3X per month

none

no

The only games i shoot without it are smallbore rifle silhouette and trap

I get my brass back, and they're easier on the eyes. Plus I like the built in excuse!

Most of the bottomfeeders I talk to say they don't want to shoot an 8 round neutral course with a 6 shot gun. I don't either.

There hasn't been ICORE locally for a few years, and I don't care for the IDPA format. I would like to shoot some steel matches.

Hi everyone,

I am considering putting together a program to increase the number of revolver shooters in the action shooting sports. I think its wonderful to see people dusting off their old single stacks to shoot them from the club level all the way up to national championships and I would love to see the same for revolver. If you wouldn't mind chiming in with your answers to the following:

Thanks so much!

Julie

!. USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, local steel and pin matches

2. Monthly

3 1, been too busy at work , Revolver of course

4. Shot the ICORE three years ago

5. Would consider anything

6. Shooting a revolver places more emphasis on accuracy and stage planning. It also feels good to out-shoot a semi auto with a wheel gun.

1.USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, and a little Steel chalange.

2.all the time now, i shoot 13 club matches a month. 6 uspsa,2 icore, 5 idpa.

3. im starting to shoot major matches this year.

4.not yet im planing on IDPA nationals this year. uspsa if i can get in. both with revo. idpa becouse its in tulsa so its close to where i live. and idpa is big in wichita ks.

5.dont know i would try any thing.

6.i love the chalange its a complex division. its fun to beat up on the bottom feaders.

7. N/A

Jeremy Hardin

USPSA A59228

ICORE OK2046

IDPA A32807

1. Shot revolver even before division started in USPSA, will start steel this year. Icore 2 far away

2. Do 3 regular club matches a month

3. 3-5 with revolver

4. This will be my 4th revolver nationals this year

5. Yes, If pins come available again, NRA , Icore

6. it's more of a challenge, Revolver shooters are abreed of their own.

7. N/A

JUlie we appreiciate the interest you are showing. Unfortunaty S&W as a whole does not seem to support us in the form of compitiion revolvers. They cut out 625 They brought back old model 25 but in Long Colt only. Your M&P Pro is a excellent gun for production. I just shot it in club level match last week. Only second time I shot auto in 10 years in uspsa.

1. USPSA

2. Trying for 4 times a month

3. Trying for 4 in 2009

4. No, but would like to

5. Yes, interesting in ICORE

6. Definately makes for a different game, plus its just a lot of fun

7. I did

1. ICORE, USPSA, IPSC, Steel

2. 2-3 times a month

3. 2-5

4. USPSA Nats, IRC, and Canadian IPSC Nats when they are on the west coast

5. I'd like to see more IHMSA in my area.. but it's mostly dead where I live

6. Challenge, oddity, beating bottom feeders with a 6 shooter.. lol

7. n/a

Hi Julie

1. ICORE, Steel, USPSA
  2. 2-3 times a month
  3. 2 regional
  4. No nationals
  5. NRA Action
  6. It's more challenging, involves more gun handling skills and the people are great
  7. n/a

See you at the Southern Regionals. I'll come begging for ICORE Cup prizes :rolleyes:

Edited by haras

None yet.

Haven't yet.

About 6 majors. Never with revolver.

No.

Timing is everything. I just purchased a S&W 686 to compete in IDPA. I can't say why it took so long but the

time seems right to try it. I still love my Glock bottom feeders. I can't see myself shooting USPSA with it because the stages are so long it would basically be a reloading drill at everystage.

I haven't yet- but I think it will teach me new shooting skills that are valuable across all disciplines.

Will be practicing in the upcoming weeks- will likely shoot at a local IDPA classifier and/or match. If there are any delays- it will be because I can't find the reloading dies, parts to start reloading!!

Edited by lugnut

1. I currently shoot USPSA, ICORE and Steel with a revolver.

2. Frequency depends on the work schedule, but twice a month is the goal for local matches. Some local clubs hold matches year round in the winter.

3. The only major USPSA match I shot was Summer Blast last year. Major illness of a family member forced my withdrawal from Area 8. I do not have the time or inclination to travel, so all major matches are generally restricted to the eastern half of PA. In recent years I shot numerous IDPA State and Regional matches but have since quit IDPA.

4. I will probably never attend a national championship unless it is held in eastern PA.

5. I have lost interest in IDPA because the rules have become ridiculous and/or are unevenly enforced. I enjoyed shooting Pins and would happily do so again but local matches have dried up due to lack of interest. I have tried Bullseye but I'm not cut out for that kind of work. I am now starting to shoot more USPSA Multigun (a new Match Director takes it much more seriously) and that will probably cut into my Revolver participation.

6. I compete with a revolver because it is always my first choice in a defensive handgun. All my revolvers have short barrels and heavy trigger pulls and I do not own a dedicated match gun. I feel that USPSA is certainly the most noble and fair revolver game, though I do not view it as "racing." Lately I find myself competing with the revolver simply to better myself, with competition being far less important. I no longer get upset when I'm the only Revolver participant at a local match.

Dave Sinko

Hey Julie,

I'm just getting into revolver.

Can't wait to try it out.

Starting in IDPA

Will be about once a month, maybe twice.

2 last year, I have already signed up for more than that this year!! Should be in the area of 4 or 5.

I'll probably try one with a revolver once I become comfortable with it.

None yet.

Might try USPSA, depends on how this year goes.

More challenging, It's easier to count to 6.

Going to give it a shot real soon (excuse the pun) :roflol:

Edited by UltraTen

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in?

a. Steel Challenge (My favorite because I can compete with the autos without a handicap- use a 627 shooting minor).

b. NRA Action (Bianchi Cup) Also a favorite because I can compete with the autos without a handicap.

c. BriarRabbit (Non-sanctioned steel matches) Because I get to shoot my 627 shooting all 8 shots in revolver class.

d. ICORE My favorite run and gun match but 2 1/2 hours away for the closest match. Great scoring system. Easy

for spectators to understand.

e. USPSA My least favorite match. Slow scoring (compared to steel). Stages reset slowly (compared to steel). Slow all day matches. (compared to steel) 8 shot stages suck with a 6 shot revo. Can't compete with the autos at all. Will not allow my 627 to shoot all 8 rounds. Will not allow my 627 to shoot major--which is ridiculously easy for a .357 magnum. Yet USPSA allows over pressure 9mms to do this all of the time. Overly complicated scoring deystroys an outsiders ability to understand what is happening and as a consequence also damages the USPSA TV audience. Complicated, time consuming and involved stage set ups. (compared to steel) Pasting targets with plastic covers in the rain is a pain in the #@@. etc., etc.

4-5 times a month.

3. How many majors do you shoot each year with a revolver?

Haven't yet, but my first choice would be the U.S Steel Challenge Nationals.

4. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver?

Already answered this.

5. Why do I like to compete in the revolver divisions?

Because to some extent, revolvers are becoming history. At my last match at Briar Rabbit there were over 40 shooters and not one revolver. (My 627 was at a gunsmith) I like to show the youth that there is still some speed with an old school revo. I like to encourage the youth to give revo a chance by showing what they are capable of.

1. (USPSA L-10 with 627 Rev. 625, ICORE, Steel, NRA once)

2. 2-4 times a month.

3. 10 plus. At least 6-8 with Revolver.

4. Nationals, IRC, Steel Challenge.

5. Already shoot L-10 with my 627 USPSA

6. Fun shooters and very challenging, You have to make them count when you only have 6 shots!

7. N/A

How about a 6.5" 627 and 625 they would sell no problem!

Thanks

John Bagakis

Edited by J.Bagakis

1. IDPA (Model 19 w/ Comp III), Icore (686 with Moonclips), USPSA- same as Icore when I am not locked into a 1911.

Police L Match's- Model 17 and Model 14.

2. 3-4 times a month.

3. Highest level I shoot is the Single Stack Classic- use 1911.

4. n/a

5. Already shoot everything I can and have time for.

6. Already do.

Hi everyone,

I am considering putting together a program to increase the number of revolver shooters in the action shooting sports. I think its wonderful to see people dusting off their old single stacks to shoot them from the club level all the way up to national championships and I would love to see the same for revolver. If you wouldn't mind chiming in with your answers to the following:

Thanks so much!

Julie

1. I shoot USPSA with a 625, steel with a 625 and a Model 14, and a little IDPA with a Model 15 or Model 64.

2. When work schedule allows, I shoot 2 USPSA matches a month, steel every week, maybe one IDPA match every month or two.

3. Have not yet shot any majors, this year I plan to shoot King of Revo and Hop's match, was going to shoot at USPSA Nationals but a move and a promotion will probably disallow that possibility. All 3 with a 625.

4. I plan to shoot USPSA Nationals next year with the 625.

5. The area where I'm moving has an ICORE club within a 2 hour drive, so I'll be trying that. Also, the only local match is IDPA, so I'll be shooting more of that. Another USPSA club within a 2 hour drive does a few 3 gun matches a year, and I picture myself shooting that with a 625, a pump shotgun, and an M1 Garand. If I'm not going to win, I might as well look good, right?

6. I tried shooting USPSA with my Model 14 on a lark, just because it's my favorite gun, I found a sweet Ernie Hill holster for it, and it was the last match of the season. I found that it just felt right. By spring I'd bought a 625 and decided to only shoot revolvers in competition for at least a year. The people who shoot revolvers are the nicest and most friendly folks you'll ever meet, and they tend to lack ego problems. Mike Carmoney is also local to me, and was a huge help getting me started. Because of that, there's more than a few excellent revolver shooters here who I'll miss when I move. I will continue to shoot revolvers at the new digs, even if I'm the only one. Originally I thought that if I didn't do so well, I could say, "hey I'm shooting a revolver, I've only got 6 shots" and if I did well I could say, "hey, and I did it with only a 6 shooter". Now that I've actually shot revolvers exclusively for a year, I find that I'm a much better overall shooter with any kind of gun and I now know how to make every shot count. I'm sticking with it.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!

Julie

Hi Julie

Thank taking the time to put this together.

1. I shoot ICORE, Steel, and RimFire Steel.

2. Weekly, I have shot revolver only since the mid 90th.

3. 3 ICORE Regional and the IRC, and maybe the Steel Challence this year.

4. The IRC.

5. Maybe USPSA if they had am open revolver division.

6. I enjoy shooting with revolver shooter.

Looking forward to meeting you this week end at the Southern regional.

Rich

1) IDPA just started shooting revolver in this

2) 1 a month to every other month

3)6 / none

4)no

5)no, I wouldn't be very competive with it(2 1/2"model 19 ) in other deciplines.

6) I like shooting all types of guns, avid 3-gunner,shooting an STI Eagle, Kimber 1911, Glock 17, M&P 9, S&W 19,and whatever else I can get my hands on.

7)see 1&2

1. USPSA

2. Weekly from May till Sept. As long as I'm not working.

3.1-3. This year almost every Major match lands on my weekend to work.

4. Shot at Nats last year and got a slot for this year but I have to work.

5. I would shoot steel and ICORE if I have the time.

6. The fun factor is off the chart. There is just something different about shooting a revo you don't get shooting a bottom feeder. ( I do shoot those also, thats what I started with). And it is very satisfying to beat a bunch of the auto shooters with the old revo. :roflol: Also the Revo shooters are an awesome bunch of guys and gals. More than willing to help you out, break down stages and give constructive criticism as well as some good natured ribbing.

7. Already do.

Jon

Edited by snertley