Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW and my freakin arm

wisconsin

I will never doubt the info you guy/gals give me anymore. I started reloading 9mm mixed range brass on my 650. I was told to spray all of my brass with either one shot or RCBS case lube,then run it through my Dillion sizing die,then through my Lee(EGW) sizing die. Because of the issue with brass fired through Glocks and maybe others. Well Mr. Dumbsh*t here though he knew better. I didn't use one shot or rcbs. And I didn't run the brass through my Dillion die first. I just ran 500rds through my Lee undersize die. My Freaking arm is killing me today. Let me tell you I knew when I was sizing brass fired from a Glock. Well today I went out and got some one shot case lube and called Dillion up and ordered a resizing die with a toolhead so I can run the brass it first through it without having to mess around with my setup for 9mm. I guess you never stop learning :surprise:

I've heard teflon powder sprinkled into your casefeeder hopper works well too (as long as you don't have any pet birds in the house).

As far as case lube goes, make it yourself. Buy unscented lanolin and 90% rubbing alcohol from your pharmacy.

My setup is somehow similar. I use an RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press with an EGW U-die and run all my brass and reload them on a progressive as normal. I just ran about 420 mixed 9mm last Friday...easy; and without lube. How high do you have your press on the table? I found out before that if I have my press installed too high my arms remains bent throughout the stroke and tends to hurt after. I now have my press just below chest level so that my arms is fully stretched on the down stroke; seems to help.

(as long as you don't have any pet birds in the house)

Why is that?

A friend of mine tells me that teflon cookware can put a substance in the air

that can kill birds.

I only have the one source.

I have not found a second book or magazine article that says the same.

I also don't read bird fancier books either.

miranda

I've heard teflon powder sprinkled into your casefeeder hopper works well too (as long as you don't have any pet birds in the house).

As far as case lube goes, make it yourself. Buy unscented lanolin and 90% rubbing alcohol from your pharmacy.

I've checked with the big name pharmacies and have yet found pure lanolin. Do you find at independant pharmacies??

My setup is somehow similar. I use an RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press with an EGW U-die and run all my brass and reload them on a progressive as normal. I just ran about 420 mixed 9mm last Friday...easy; and without lube. How high do you have your press on the table? I found out before that if I have my press installed too high my arms remains bent throughout the stroke and tends to hurt after. I now have my press just below chest level so that my arms is fully stretched on the down stroke; seems to help.
My press is at the correct height for my arm. I run mostly 45acp through it. This 9mm once fired brass I bought was way worse than the new starline 45 acp brass I used when I started reloading. Thank God I was only resizing the brass and not reloading it. At times it was like popping a cork out of a bottle. When any of the brass came out of the die that way I sent it through again and of course it came out alot easier. I'm hoping as with the 45 starline brass once I fire the 9mm through my BHP it will resize alot easier next time.

I will never doubt the info you guy/gals give me anymore. I started reloading 9mm mixed range brass on my 650. I was told to spray all of my brass with either one shot or RCBS case lube,then run it through my Dillion sizing die,then through my Lee(EGW) sizing die. Because of the issue with brass fired through Glocks and maybe others. Well Mr. Dumbsh*t here though he knew better. I didn't use one shot or rcbs. And I didn't run the brass through my Dillion die first. I just ran 500rds through my Lee undersize die. My Freaking arm is killing me today. Let me tell you I knew when I was sizing brass fired from a Glock. Well today I went out and got some one shot case lube and called Dillion up and ordered a resizing die with a toolhead so I can run the brass it first through it without having to mess around with my setup for 9mm. I guess you never stop learning :surprise:

I don't think that you need to run the brass through the Dillion and then through the EGW die, sounds like a major waste of time.

I would try just lubing a little bit of brass and the moving parts on the machine. You will be very surpised how much easyer it will get to pull the handle...

My 2 cents

Craig

I've checked with the big name pharmacies and have yet found pure lanolin. Do you find at independant pharmacies??

I've purchased it at Walgreens. You usually have to ask the pharmacist for it. It's pretty common for breast-feeding mothers to use it so I'm surprised the places you checked wouldn't have it. R,

I would say that lanolin is not a substitute for One-Shot. I always tumble brass after using lanolin, but One-Shot can stay on the cases without messing up the works.

If you use too much lanolin you'll have to tumble it, but if you use it sparingly there won't even be any noticable on the case after you load them. I've never had to tumble mine. I put a dab about half or a third the size of a pencil eraser on my hand, work it around so it's spread evenly on my hands and fingers and then run them through a box with a couple hundred cases (2-400 seems about right) and load them up. When they're done there isn't any residue at all on the cases and nothing on the dies. R,

Walmart pharmacy can order a jar for around $13. But the other posters were right about finding tubes in the breast feeding section there and at pharmacies. It really is not sitting there with a 100% LANOLIN label on it.

Try hosing the inside of a small cardboard box (one bullets come in?) with spray lube, filling it half full of cases, then jiggling it for a minute.

Thanks for the homemade lube tip, I'm almost out and I'll try it!

Ditto, I do this in .40 and 9mm, works great and does not wear your arm out.

I just run 9mm brass through my 650 as a separate step (with lube, natch), then when the time comes to actually load ammo it's all pre-sized and deprimed brass that's going through the machine. MUCH easier on the ol' elbow.

BOZ,

Joe found a place here in Columbus that had it after looking in one or two pharmacies. He says that you can find it (now don't get a crazy her folks) if you look where they have products for mothers of newborns. The Lanolin is used by nursing mothers to keed their nipples from getting damaged from nursing, and does not affect the baby.

There, I said it.

He says all you really need to do is put a few drops on your hands, and then run your hands through the brass, that is enough of an application.

Mark K.