Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixed 2 powders by mistake

chrisa006

I did a boneheaded thing while changing calibers. I poured n320 in with n350. It is probably about 50/50. Can I use my 8.1 gr load of this mix for practice with my open gun??? :angry2:

Dump it. No way no how would I shoot this. Two different burn rates, charge weights..etc.

Your fingers won't grow back.

Skip the beer for a few weeks and the $ will even out. Dump it.

I'd be tempted to use the load data for the fastest powder of the mix (N320) and check it out on the chrono.

Since 350 is slower, it should only dilute the burnrate of the faster 320.

...but I'm crazy like that. :devil:

You should throw it out.

Burn it!

If you have access to a large open area in an area of low flammability you can make solid fuel rockets with your old powders. materials needed: Aluminum foil, a large pencil, a short piece of angel iron to make a ramp and of course your old powder.

Roll a tube of foil, at least 5-6 layers thick around the pencil, form a funnel at one end of the tube, this is your exhaust nozzle, make it large enough that the powder will feed through it, but small enough to regulate the flow. Fill the tube and fold the top end shut, you may tale the top as well.

Aim the angle up at a steep angle, lay the rocket in the 'V', make a fuse if powder to the tail, ignite and watch.

Of course no one should actually try this as it could start a fire.

I did a boneheaded thing while changing calibers. I poured n320 in with n350. It is probably about 50/50. Can I use my 8.1 gr load of this mix for practice with my open gun???

That’s a joke, right? You just made fertilizer.

Don’t add stupid to stupid and do something illegal or dangerous with your concoction.

you knew the answer when you posted this question, right? You knew the answer was to throw it out, right ?

If you honestly thought there was a 1 % chance you were wrong and someone here was going to say "it will be fine, just shoot 'em up" , stop reloading now and never reload another bullet again and buy factory ammo. This advice may sound harsh but it will most likely save your life.

This advice may sound harsh but it will most likely save your life.

You are correct... it does sound harsh. Science and experimentation is the mother of all invention... without it we would still be hitting each other with sticks and living in a cave. Manufactures refer to their powders as "Blends"... implying to me that they mix different ingredients, in different amounts and then test that blend for a viable application. Maybe the OP created his own blend by accident. Or it could be an accident waiting to happen.

That said, I agree the OP should dump it in the garden. $20 worth of powder isn't worth a ruined gun, blown off fingers or putting out an eye.

I did a boneheaded thing while changing calibers. I poured n320 in with n350. It is probably about 50/50. Can I use my 8.1 gr load of this mix for practice with my open gun??? :angry2:

Just send ME your guns ((I"LL pay shipping ))) and use all U want :cheers:

Just dont use any of the AMMO