Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there no Modified division in the USA?

In Europe and the rest of the world we have the Modified division which I think is a pretty cool gun type.

You are allowed to use ports, comps and opticals sight but the gun has to fit in a box.

I shoot OPEN at the moment but have thoughts to change class to modified.

//Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC Sweden

Edited by Freddie the Swede

USPSA doesn't use Standard Division, therefore no box. USPSA's version is Limited which allows 6" bbls bigger magwells and longer magazines than the comparable IPSC division. Modified is a gun tinkerer division. We have some competitors in the US that play with Modified guns at international matches, but not many. I think it's just one more division and we didn't want to further dilute the numbers of competitors we have.

I would love for there to be a modified division in the US. That is if we got rid of L-10 and let production guns run their capacity. I know there are a lot who will disagree but thats my take on it.

What is the connection that you see between IPSC modified and USPSA L10?? Nevertheless, why not just build a gun for use in USPSA open division based on Modified rules that suits you? This is the beauty of Open, within broad guidelines, you decide what it looks like :) Based on what I know about Modified rules, any modified legal gun should be legal in USPSA Open division.

I would love for there to be a modified division in the US. That is if we got rid of L-10 and let production guns run their capacity. I know there are a lot who will disagree but thats my take on it.

What is the connection that you see between IPSC modified and USPSA L10?? Nevertheless, why not just build a gun for use in USPSA open division based on Modified rules that suits you? This is the beauty of Open, within broad guidelines, you decide what it looks like :) Based on what I know about Modified rules, any modified legal gun should be legal in USPSA Open division.

Open allows Modified guns within the rules but most open shooters prefer 9 Major or 38 super/supercomp because of the increased capacity. It seems pointless to start off handicapped before you even show up. JoJo Vidanes shoots his Modified gun at his club matches all the time but he is the only person in the US that I know does that.

I have never seen more than 2 Open shooters at a club match(at least more than 2 start the match in open!). Just no demand here for another expensive game only division I guess. I am not critical of Open, its neat I guess, but I do not see the appeal. I am sure several of my more experienced brethren here on the forum will explain it.

JoJo Vidanes shoots his Modified gun at his club matches all the time but he is the only person in the US that I know does that.

only months before world shoot or if he is going to another country to shoot modified,he practically shoots open. el presidente practiced modified before the world shoot.

I have never seen more than 2 Open shooters at a club match(at least more than 2 start the match in open!). Just no demand here for another expensive game only division I guess. I am not critical of Open, its neat I guess, but I do not see the appeal. I am sure several of my more experienced brethren here on the forum will explain it.

I am not sure where you shoot, but open is alive and thriving on the east coast. I consistently see10 or more at most of the matches and its not the same 10.

Open allows you certain advantages, but also teaches you things you can use in other divisions. I personally have more fun in open than the otherdivisions.(I also have alot of fun in the others.). Until you apply yourself and get serious about open you will never understand the appeal. Isaid the same thing 13 yrs ago that I would never shoot open. But here I am shooting open and having more fun than I ever have.

There is no connection I just dont care for the 10 round limited divisions.

I say that because we have too many divisions as it is and another would just dilute tha competition even more. I dont see the need for L-10 but there are others that do, I dont like production having a 10 round mag limit but others have decided that the division will be this way. I would just like to see modified replace L-10 as a division and align ourselves alittle more with the rest of the divisions.(I dont want to start a L-10 vs anything thread here, just my opinion)

Just wait until they get a little older and the eyes start to go. Give me a red dot and a seeing eye dog and I can shoot forever.

Bill

If I am not mistaken Matt Cheely also shoots modified occasionaly

If we had modified in the US, or if I go to the world shoot, that would be my division.

I think they are the coolest guns in IPSC. Do whatever you want, as long as it is in the box makes for some ingenious designs.

TSA has a Factory experimental division that has basically the same rules. Anything goes as long as it fits in the box and maybe a weight limit. I am hoping to get more involved with it next year and help it grow.

Don't want to ruffle feather but why is there a modified division at all?

Open works.

I think Modified would be awesome because it encourages creativity and innovation while better fitting with the "practical" part of the origins of the sport. In addition, Open is pretty much stagnant as far as technology goes; virtually all of the guns are configured the same. Modified still has quite a bit of variation as people are required to calculate where to compromise when building a gun: Do I get the red dot with a bigger field of view at the expense of capacity? Do I use a forward mounted Docter to try to get a more efficient comp? Etc.

Don't want to ruffle feather but why is there a modified division at all?

Open works.

I think Modified would be awesome because it encourages creativity and innovation while better fitting with the "practical" part of the origins of the sport. In addition, Open is pretty much stagnant as far as technology goes; virtually all of the guns are configured the same. Modified still has quite a bit of variation as people are required to calculate where to compromise when building a gun: Do I get the red dot with a bigger field of view at the expense of capacity? Do I use a forward mounted Docter to try to get a more efficient comp? Etc.

Actually, I think the main question in US Modified would be: "Should I build a gun like JoJo won the world shoot with or should I do something different?" :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to shoot Modified or Load to capacity with a production rig - You can hold a IPSC match and do it!! We can now have them here in the US and submit the scores to IPSC - although I prefer USPSA matches.

Edit - Spelling

Edited by KGentry

Last year I shot matches in NM, AZ, TX, VA, MD and OK. In every one of those there was a pretty solid turnout in Open. It really seems to be regional and club specific. Some clubs/areas have more Production shooters than anything else, some have more Limited....etc.

The other thing is the Open, in many ways, is nearly the legacy equivalent of Single Stack. Way back when there weren't multiple divisions and anybody who wanted to win was shooting what we now call and Open gun...comps, then comps and scopes etc. Some folks simply stuck with Open guns as they've changed over the years. I shoot Open, Lim and SS, but shoot Open more than the other two combined. R,

I like it just like it is. I see no need to add another division, but wouldn't care if they do as long as L-10 stays. I don't shoot it often, but like to switch around some.

I shot a match yesterday and there were 55 shooters and five were Open Division. We shoot at different clubs each weekend of the month and this is representative of the number of shooters in the Open Division at each match.

Buddy

If you want to shoot Modified or Load to capacity with a production rig - You can hold a IPSC match and do it!! We can now have them here in the US and submit the scores to IPSC - although I prefer USPSA matches.

Edit - Spelling

You can also shoot USPSA open division with a modified style gun. Although, based on my recent experiences with a few of them, they are definitely a step down in performance from a typical Open gun. That is the beauty of our open division, flexibility.

Build a gun, shoot it, tell your friends. I gave it a go some years ago, and we even had enough competitors at a Nationals to qualify for an award. (?At least, we did until I DQ'd.)

The US can send a Modified Team to the World Shoot in 2011 if four people want to do it. Now's the time to start, but you'll have to do it yourself.