Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Rod Replacement?

Triggerbender

I am looking to replace the rods in my sights as I want to change the colors.

The originals are melted on each end to hold them in.

What is the best way to duplicate this without screwing them up so they don't end up a gob of goo that don't transmit the light?

Thanks for any tips, tricks and info. :bow:

When I put in a new fiber I melt the end you look at for a couple of seconds with a Bic lighter using the blue part of the flame.

You want to have the end cut off square for this. Sharp fingernail clippers work fairly well for cutting. The end never melts quite

exactly round or centered, so holding the extra that sticks out the front, turn the fiber until the melted part is centered between

the vertical sides. Then, holding the melted end so it can't turn any more and tight against the sight body, cut and melt the other

end. Before melting, you want about one diameter sticking out of the hole. The whole process takes less time to do than to tell.

I use a drop of superglue. No melting required.

FWIW, I have shot a bunch of them downrange in the last few months. The super glue seems to have stopped that problem. I got the solution from EGWs instructions.

Edited by Sethmark

I THINK I understand the process, but I still have a question and have been avoiding a rod change for months. The shooter side of my FO rod, does not extend past the metal of the sight. When I look at the front sight, I see the FO dot (.95 I think) inside the outline of the blade. You cannot see or feel the bulb. On the other side, I can see and feel a bulb where it was melted or whatever.

I have no idea how to duplicate what I have and am scared to death to try. Only because I absolutely love my front site picture!!

I am looking to replace the rods in my sights as I want to change the colors.

The originals are melted on each end to hold them in.

What is the best way to duplicate this without screwing them up so they don't end up a gob of goo that don't transmit the light?

Thanks for any tips, tricks and info. :bow:

This might help. Click here.

BK

I would appreciate any extra info on using Super Glue and/or melting. Using Dawson's instructions, SOMEtimes I get good results, sometimes I don't. I have tried some of the cheaper "buy it by the yard" type of FO and had very questionable results. As with Kydex, I suspect, different plastic formulas react differently to heat, and just because it looks like good FO doesn't make it good FO for sight use.

The heat gun use may solve it for me, though, thanks for that!

Brent

Edited by sheepdog

A friend of mine suggested a different method: use your lighter/stove/whatever to heat up a flathead screwdriver (or other similar tool) and then press the ends of the fiber into the sight (starting with the front, so you get the countersink and can properly trim the backside). It worked very well for me, giving a very round, perfectly centered and very bright (no soot from flame) cap. And it's locked in really tight. My one complaint is that the dot ended up fairly huge (maybe 1.5mm) which is of course an effect of melting down too much material.

I haven't seen this method discussed at all in this thread. I'm wondering if perhaps there's a reason for that? Should I avoid this method in the future?

-- John.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're interested in changing colors and/or replacing fiber optic rods this website sells bulk fiber optic elements. I've used them with my Dawson pistol sight and TruGlo shotgun sight.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Archery.htm

Update: used the FO from these people Thanks Ron. :cheers: The place I ordered from could not come thru.

Not too hard, get the 3ft. length to practice on and you will probably have enough left for a lifetime :roflol: I was using .060 and .040.

Using a combo of a small butane torch and a bic lighter all came out like factory or better.

I found you can make the size of the dot larger or smaller to a point and still keep it round bright and clear by holding the fiber with the end pointed at the ground and altering distance and time of the flame. Too much time or heat and it will bubble and or blacken.

The thin stuff melts QUICK the thicker not so bad. :surprise:

So if you are on the fence about this go for it!

• 11 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...