Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wood Planers

Anubis

So went to the wood shop today to start a cabinet for my house and the mean wood planer decides to lop off some nice sized chunks of my right-middle and ring fingers :angry2:

6 hours in the emergency room and I leave with good pain drugs but, my fingers are destroyed, ground down to the bone from the top knuckle to the tip. No more fingernails. :angry2:

Oh and yes this took a while to type <_<

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F@#% dude that sucks.

Thought I cut my left pinky off years ago. So cold I couldn't feel my fingers. Wet glove got next to the blade on the worm drive saw. Took the glove right off my hand and cut half the pinky nail off. It took a while to let go of the finger to see if it was still there. MUCH more careful now.

Oh the trouble kids get into...when Daddy is not around :(

Count your self lucky to have any fingers at all....and you still have your trigger finger!

I have seen some pretty bad stuff in wood and metal shops over the years.

Heal up quick Son!....prayers sent!

Daddy

Take good care of the post-surgical wounds and do what the doctor sez. Heal well and keep us informed. So very sorry this happened. :surprise:

And when I think of all the occasions where I used power tools building houses way-back-when... I was lucky. :rolleyes:

So went to the wood shop today to start a cabinet for my house and the mean wood planer decides to lop off some nice sized chunks of my right-middle and ring fingers :angry2:

6 hours in the emergency room and I leave with good pain drugs but, my fingers are destroyed, ground down to the bone from the top knuckle to the tip. No more fingernails. :angry2:

Oh and yes this took a while to type <_<

The summer before my freshmen year of high school, (while helping my Dad) I managed to do the same thing to my right little finger. From the first knuckle to the tip. Hurt like hell. Although I think the shots down each side of the finger hurt more than the original injury. When I did it, my Dad said it would be OK and just put alcohol on it. My Mom and the ER doc did not agree with him.

Oh yeah, and he has done the same thing, TWICE since I did. He no longer owns that joiner.

Oh yeah, and he has done the same thing, TWICE since I did. He no longer owns that joiner.

Yeah I think wood can join itself well enough now. I mean, it all grows the same way right?

Went back to the doctor today to get my fingers re-dressed. Got another local anesthetic so I feel perfect at the moment :)

Also I got some day-after pictures if anyone by chance wants to see them :blink:

Anyway docs say they can do some minor surgery and get my fingers sewed up next week or so and have them healed by mid-Feb :)

Which of course gives me 2 weeks to practice before I go home in march and get to shoot some matches :D

Edited by Anubis

I am a contractor / started as a carpenter when I was 15, Big tools -small tools. Scaffolds have caused the most injuries to me. I may work for months with wood and the next project work with tile and stone.

:unsure: It is very strange when you work with a Wet saw on stone and tile as your hands and fingers will brush the blade to hold the material steady. A wet diamond blade will not cut your skin = !it Will burn through finger nail in a flash.

The Dreams at night can be strange with me standing at a saw and pushing my hands up to the blade and having them wet but not bloody. :blink:

Heal up quick , but heal up good.

That hurts just reading about it.

When working as a Meat Cutter in my Dads grocery store at 17 I got a finger caught in the band saw while cutting pork chops. It was the trigger finger. Luckily it only cut to the bone and healed in a few weeks. I learned to use another piece of meat to cut that last chop after that.

I feel your pain, except it was my trigger finger.

That round cutting blade took out a lot of my index finger including some bone. The last joint is prety much gone and the pad has very little felling which makes precise trigger work difficult. It's also over a half inch shorter than my left index finger. Took 26 stitches to put it back together.

You may have to make some allowances and change the way you do some things. Just keep a positive attitude and take care while it heals.

Edited by CenTX

Ok I got two questions to ask the mods on this one.

First, could this get moved to a more appropriate sub-forum as I'd like to post updates and well the hate thread isn't for lengthy conversations :P

Also some people want to see pics so is it ok if I post them here because they're kinda gross <_<

Neither me nor my wife can figure out how to get her cell phone to e-mail pictures so I can't get pics right now.

But the docs took some pics the day it happened, I'll try to get those pics today.