Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wood Planers

Anubis

OW dude!

That must have HURT!

Table saw is responsible for the highest # of shop injuries followed by Jointer and routers.

Use eye pro and push sticks /safety blocks to keep your hands away from the blades, stay out of the path of kickbacked wood and you've reduced the possibility of injury by about 75%.

Remove jewelery, pin up long hair under a hat and remove or tighten up any loose clothing and you've dropped the injury chance more significantly.

Now follow one further rule and you'll probably stay injury free....unplug ALL machinery whenever changing blades or knives or bits and you'll probably woodwork until you're 100 without injury.

Sorry about your injury and hope you feel better soon.

JK

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:surprise: Ouch! Double ouch! Feel better and heal up!

(I'm gonna go take some pills for your pain.)

So it's been a little over a week and my fingers are doin a lot better :)

They don't hurt at all anymore unless I bump em hard or try to carry something heavy.

At this rate I might get to start practicing again in two weeks :D

Friend, I gotta tell you that even though you might now feel like it now, you are super duper lucky. I mean, like go buy a lottery ticket lucky. I have a friend from the gun shop who lost his first, second, and third fingers on his right hand to a planer, and he is a righty.

Good luck and a speedy recovery. Watch out for the meds...

Okay, its now been 3 weeks since this happened.

I'm back practicing with my airsoft pistol, and I can type with my whole hand again :)

Thanks everybody for the kind words and stories shared you've done a lot to help

me feel better :)

Here's some pics from today, the 21 day mark.

post-15071-1233775766_thumb.jpgpost-15071-1233775776_thumb.jpg

Well even with my fingers getting wrecked I decided to go ahead and finish the cabinet :P

Here's some pics of the finished product. Solid ash with a black crushed velvet backing.

(My wife has already populated it with her little tinkerbell things <_< )

post-15071-1232869982_thumb.jpgpost-15071-1232869992_thumb.jpg

Edited to fix typos <_<

Thats become an awful expensive cabinet B)

Many years ago my mom had bought some steel cabinets cheep, and was cleaning them up.

While cleaning them she cut the tendon in here right index finger. :rolleyes:

Edited by Heavy Barrel

Anubis,

For the past week and a half I have been milling wood at least once a day if not all day. Every time I start the jointer I think about these pics.

PUSH STICK! That's what I keep saying.

Good to hear and see you are doing well.

Jimmy

Anubis,

For the past week and a half I have been milling wood at least once a day if not all day. Every time I start the jointer I think about these pics.

Jimmy

Man I thought about this for a while and finally figured out what happened. You can all call me stupid because I sure do :P

I was planing a 10"x4' board, it was about 1" thick and I wanted it down to 3/4". Set the planer up with the guards leaving

10" of the blade exposed. I used the push stick to push the board across the blade but I left the blade exposed when I was

done. I set the sticks aside and went to grab my board to set it up to push across the blade again and basically 'missed'

and jammed my fingers right into the exposed blade :(

Anubis,

Jimmy

Man I thought about this for a while and finally figured out what happened. You can all call me stupid because I sure do :P

I was planing a 10"x4' board, it was about 1" thick and I wanted it down to 3/4". Set the planer up with the guards leaving

10" of the blade exposed. I used the push stick to push the board across the blade but I left the blade exposed when I was

done. I set the sticks aside and went to grab my board to set it up to push across the blade again and basically 'missed'

and jammed my fingers right into the exposed blade :(

Two mike's and a damn..................................it!

I meant to do this Wednesday and keep weekly updates running but I got real busy this week :(

Anyway my hand doin a lot better now, I've got about 95% of my grip strength back :)

Also, there's apparently cosmetic surgeons that work in the base hospital that would be willing

to reconstruct my fingers as much as they can so they have something to practice on :P

But here's some pics the wife took last night, 30 days after the fact. They're doing a lot better.

post-15071-1234551467_thumb.jpgpost-15071-1234551474_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

wish i had seen this thread when it started, we could have convalesced together!

Jan 27 i cut 2 fingers 3/4 way through when they got caught in a kick back of a hole saw

you healed quickly, had some material that was missed in the re-attachment surgery work its way out, infection etc.

am just now getting enough feeling to risk picking up the checkering tools again, and a couple people have been patiently waiting for grips since the accident

best of luck, yer lookin good in the healing phase!

• 1 month later...
Well, decided to give everyone a 6 months progress report on this thread :P

Pretty much healed as far as it'll go except for some nail growth.

post-15071-1248038163_thumb.jpg

:goof::blink: Just don't touch me with that icky lookin middle fingernail :surprise::sick:

Seriously glad to see your good. I get chills and shiver after my close call even when I think about it years later.

Lazy Dave