Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wood Planers

Anubis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks really bad. did you have a skin graft?

They sorta grafted it. The doc cut a piece from the bottom and stretched it over the top then sewed everything down.

But being par for military docs, the only reason it was done is because there was exposed bone and it was absolutely

necessary. They woulda left it otherwise.

But on the whole, they've done a really good job. :)

By the way, I just want to thank all of you. You've all been really kind and sincere in all of this, its hard to find a group

of such good people. Even though it may not seem like much, you guys have done a lot to make me feel better :)

I'm really looking forward to getting the chance to shoot with any or all of you down the road :)

Edited by Anubis

Well woke up this morning after about 9 hours, plenty of time for all the painkillers to get out of my system.

Doesn't really hurt all that bad :)

Feels like if you turn on the hot water in your sink and run it over your fingertips.

Definitely not nearly as bad as I feared :)

Sorry that happened, It sucks to lose parts of your body, you will heal up just fine and you have the right attitude.

Its just going to take a little time, I cut most of my thumb off and the tip of my index finger and I do just fine( its my weak hand though) Good luck and watch getting lead in those wounds

So it's been a little over a week and my fingers are doin a lot better :)

They don't hurt at all anymore unless I bump em hard or try to carry something heavy.

At this rate I might get to start practicing again in two weeks :D

They still look pretty ugly but here's some pics from the 7 day mark.

post-15071-1232843918_thumb.jpgpost-15071-1232843907_thumb.jpg

I worked and again work regularly in a wood/metal/stone shop. (Designer Fabrication) I have seen a similar injury to a friend before. I was the shop foreman at the time and got chewed out for him not using the push stick. He uses one all the time now.

I'm glad to hear your healing well. I hope you gain the maximum back as far as use goes. Please be careful, as there is no use in giving up what you got. Wear ear and eye protection too. I'm constantly having to tell my boss the same thing. It just gets me to see these thing happen.

What kind of cabinets you doing?

Well even with my fingers getting wrecked I decided to go ahead and finish the cabinet :P

Here's some pics of the finished product. Solid ash with a black crushed velvet backing.

(My wife has already populated it with her little tinkerbell things <_< )

post-15071-1232869982_thumb.jpgpost-15071-1232869992_thumb.jpg

Edited to fix typos <_<

Edited by Anubis

it does not look as bad as I imagined. When I had major abdominal surgery and had a HUGE incision to heal I took 1000mg of vitamin C daily and 400IU of vitamin E twice a day. As antioxidants they are supposed to promote healing.

Although not as bad as I imagined I am sure it is very painful. Have you asked about adding tylenol and motrin to your pain management regimen?

So it's been a little over a week and my fingers are doin a lot better :)

They don't hurt at all anymore unless I bump em hard or try to carry something heavy.

At this rate I might get to start practicing again in two weeks :D

They still look pretty ugly but here's some pics from the 7 day mark.

post-15071-1232843918_thumb.jpgpost-15071-1232843907_thumb.jpg

OW! OW! OW! OW!!!!!

That hurts all the way back here in Albuquerque! Do yourself a BIG favor and give your fingers a chance to heal before doing too much with them otherwise you'll bang them on something and be right back where you started. Patience grasshopper.

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

I've had a broke finger before, but nothing close to your stuff!

Glad it didn't go deeper, after all it could've been a table saw!

I'd like you to post some pics of the healing process if you don't mind.

I bet you have a whole new meaning to "Slow is smooth!" (in the woodshop that is)

Nice cabinet, get well soon.

edit:spelling

Edited by Kyle O

Score tied: Anubis 1, Jointer 1. NO REMATCHES ! ! !

After I started reading the thread I was really curious as to how you were and how bad the injury was. Glad you sent pics, looks like it's doing well, healing well and no infection. You know, it coulda been much worse. Should be pretty ok once it's all healed. Meanwhile enjoy the drugs, my best wishes AND kick ass cabinet you did as a crip. I am truly impressed - - nice work.

Ouch!!! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. This really hits home as I am a profesional cabinet maker who has seen a fair share of injuries such as that in my 30+ years in the business. I grew up and learned the trade from my dad and he had a shop with 60 employees. As you can imagine we saw it all. The worst was a table saw injury where a guy almost took his hand off from just above the wrist. My dad tought me long ago that if you are thinking of your girlfriend, bills, or anything else while working with a cutting machine it will cut you. Always respect the machine with 110% attention. My Dad (now retired) and I both have all of our fingers. Oh and for the record planers get 120% attention from me. I always hated that machine.

So I went to the doc yesterday for a quick lookover on how my fingers are lookin.

They said everything looks good and it's healing just fine, stitches will be coming out next week.

I'll keep my ring fingernail and I'll 'probably' grow my middle nail back, but they're not sure how they'll look.

The two docs workin on this have done a pretty good job :)

But, most importantly, I was talkin to one of the docs about how well my dexterity will come back and the

topic drifted to shooting. That's when she mentioned her husband used to shoot USPSA, .45 SS :)

So of course I gave her this forum's url so he could check it out :)

But here's some pics from today, the 14 day mark.

Still pretty nasty but they're startin to look better :)

post-15071-1233077214_thumb.jpgpost-15071-1233077196_thumb.jpgpost-15071-1233077205_thumb.jpg

anubis,

you'll probably have some nerve damage at the tips of your fingers after all is said and done. i drug my middle, ring, and pinky on my left hand over the blade of the table saw. nowhere near the damage you did, but, i still have a loss of feeling at the very tips. not really enough to worry about.

good luck

anubis,

you'll probably have some nerve damage at the tips of your fingers after all is said and done. i drug my middle, ring, and pinky on my left hand over the blade of the table saw. nowhere near the damage you did, but, i still have a loss of feeling at the very tips. not really enough to worry about.

good luck

The piece they cut and re-attached on my ring finger won't ever have feeling but everything else seems ok :)

What struck me is there's no apparent swelling and they seem to be healing reasonably well. Thank you for posting the photos... for a lot of reasons. Generous of you to share this experience. It serves to remind us, graphically, of the hazards we live with each day and what can happen in an instant if things go hinky--no matter the reason. :wacko:

Nerve damage can happen easily. I've had some things happen to my hands that left me numb in places and it took a few YEARS for the tactile sense to return, all or in part. For your hand, it might be a matter of time.

Take care. B)