Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Optic for 3 Gun-Get now or wait for new models

DMAC

Here is my dilemma. There are no shots past 50 yards at my local club and my Eotech works fine for me. I am shooting the Blue Ridge Mounting 3 Gun in late April and the Eotech will not cut it and I don't think I just want to slap on a magnifier. I'm thinking about the K-dot or Burris XTR, but I've heard that some new scopes may be coming out that will be better, the only question is WHAT and WHEN. I've read some about the new accupoint and it sounds appealing.

Should I just get something now and shoot it and if something better is available before the match, then switch and sell what I've got. I just don't want to spend over $500 on something I am going to replace immediately.

Or, is it likely that it won't be until summer or later that these new scopes will be available and I can just decide then if it's worth it to replace what I've got. I've decided that I don't want to go the High $$ Swarovski, S&B, etc. route for now since I really dont' shoot that much.

I'm sure some of you have had similar issues in the past. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Here is my dilemma. There are no shots past 50 yards at my local club and my Eotech works fine for me. I am shooting the Blue Ridge Mounting 3 Gun in late April and the Eotech will not cut it and I don't think I just want to slap on a magnifier. I'm thinking about the K-dot or Burris XTR, but I've heard that some new scopes may be coming out that will be better, the only question is WHAT and WHEN. I've read some about the new accupoint and it sounds appealing.

Should I just get something now and shoot it and if something better is available before the match, then switch and sell what I've got. I just don't want to spend over $500 on something I am going to replace immediately.

Or, is it likely that it won't be until summer or later that these new scopes will be available and I can just decide then if it's worth it to replace what I've got. I've decided that I don't want to go the High $$ Swarovski, S&B, etc. route for now since I really dont' shoot that much.

I'm sure some of you have had similar issues in the past. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

With the blue ridge match just around the corner I think you need to get something now and get to shooting.

I am kind of a scope snob, I shoot a bunch of hand gun with a C-more and I like that dot for reliability. I have shot years on Sportsman's Team Challenge with a Leupold 6.5-20 and spend hours looking through that when we practice.

So that said last year when I decided to try 3 gun I went with the Kdot at almost $800 I am happy with it and Will buy another when I get my next rifle.

This weekend I sighted in a friends rifle with the Eotec and shot it side by side with the Kdot. The Kdot is just as fast on 10 yard shots and way better on anything farther.

If you can find something get it. The recent retail buyout of everything that goes bang or helps it go bang has left not much to be desired. Especially since you need to get some time behind that new optic before the match. As for anything that comes out at the shot show, dont hold your breath for it. Add 6 months to a year on top of whenever they say it will come out after the Shot show and then expect retail markup. I talked with Burris actually last week on a xtr LEO price. they are several months behind just fyi........ If ya can find it, buy it, shoot it......

As others have said - if you need something in the next few months you should buy what's on the shelf today.

Not sure what the distances are at the Blue Ridge match but I'm effective out to 300yds with an EOTech and 3X flip-mount magnifier behind it.

I'm also interested in an XTR as I really like the reticle but people have complained about illumination. There are rumors that a newer version will be announced at the SHOT show with better illumination.

While I am sure that SHOT will have all sorts of new and fantastic gear, I HIGHLY doubt that anything new will, all of a sudden, propel your shooting into the next level.

If the match is anythin like last year, you certainly don't want to shoot Blue Ridge with just an EoTech but by the time you get a multiplier and mount you are getting close to the cost of a good low powered variable and mount so I'd get that KDot or Burris (Or Leupold! sorry couldn't resist) sooner rather than later, zero it and start practicing.

If you don't want to blow a lot of $ now not knowing what you will want in the future with some 3-gun under your belt, a good way to get started is a $150 Weaver 1-3x. No, it isn't a top of the line scope, but it's a great way to go until you know what you want. I have 4 of them. I started 3gun with one, and I really wouldn't feel poorly scoped at most matches with one now.

The Millett DMS-1 is a very popular option and what I use. It is a 1-4X scope and is very modestly priced and even better is currently in stock. If you outgrow it you can easily sell it for 75% of what you paid for it.

Millett DMS-1 at SWFA

I'm thinking of getting one as an intermediate $ scope for one of my guns. I am waiting for the new Accupoint, though, so I might have to save my pennies for that. Any issues with your Millett?

The Millett DMS-1 is a very popular option and what I use. It is a 1-4X scope and is very modestly priced and even better is currently in stock. If you outgrow it you can easily sell it for 75% of what you paid for it.

Millett DMS-1 at SWFA

I'm thinking of getting one as an intermediate $ scope for one of my guns. I am waiting for the new Accupoint, though, so I might have to save my pennies for that. Any issues with your Millett?

None yet but I've had it for less than a week. There is a huge thread (60+ pages) on the AR-15 optics forum regarding it.

Millett DMS-1 at SWFA

None yet but I've had it for less than a week. There is a huge thread (60+ pages) on the AR-15 optics forum regarding it.

Yeah, found that thread. Pretty positive comments, so I decided to order one. May be a bit longer before I can get that new Accupoint 1-4! They won't be on the market for a while anyway, though.

I found the spec sheet on the Trijicon AccuPoint TR24. It will have the German reticle and double-post with chevron as options. No cirlce dot or BDC. I can't wait on the next version of the Burris XTR for better illumination and I don't want to shell out really big $$ for the S&B Short dot or the Swarovski Z6 (I don't shoot that much 3 Gun and I do it just for fun, besides I still need to get an SBR and the JP LRP-07)

It looks like I'll be mounting a Meopta K Dot on my JP CTR-02 and the Eotech will go on the backup gun.

I want to thank everyone for their feedback!

Edited by DMAC

Check out the Weaver classic extreme 1.5-4.5x24.

A short little review compared to a Millet DMS-1 that I HAD

Lens is much clearer and brighter than my Millet DMS-1 and without the fishbowl effect...!!! This alone makes it a steal at the sale price. The exit pupil seems to be larger than the DMS-1. The sweet spot had more room on 4.5X. Very well worth the extra money over the DMS-1 (still not a bad scope for the money). The Weaver is made in Japan vs China for the DMS-1.

The adjustment turrets have well defined clicks and audible vs the DMS-1 which did not have defined clicks. The 1/4 MOA of the Weaver allows more precision than DMS-1's 1/2 MOA.

My red dot on max setting was actually 95% visible in the sunlight, only getting washed out against very bright white backgrounds. The DMS-1's reticle would be washed instantly in the sun.

The eye bell is much shorter, allowing me to position the scope in the right spot for me to get proper eye relief. The DMS-1 mounted all the way forward was still to close for me to get proper eye relief.

The power ring on the Weaver has a shorter and lighter from 1.5x to 4.5x (about 180º), much faster to changer power . My DMS-1's power ring has a long and stiff adjustment (about 270º).

Couple of quick pics.

1.5X

DSC01878.jpg

4.5X

DSC01879.jpg

DSC01874.jpg

Millet

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01845.jpg

I have a brand new Meopta K Dot I'm willing to sell for the right price. Its been mounted, but never used.

my neighbor sez the same thing about his wife.

chris-u heading down to 5 dogs next week?

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that I should have waited a little longer. My K Dot is ordered and already on the truck as well as a LaRue SPR mount. I don't shoot nose to the charge handle so I hope this mount will be OK, otherwise I'll need to order the SPR-E.

If I really like it and want a second, I will let you know. Thanks again!

tt350Z, Gotta love the WEC Wreckage on VS! I still can't believe that the California Kid lost. I had an '02 911 Cab that I sold last fall but I'm missing my drop top. I'm thinking about the new 370 convertible in 2010. The new 370 seems like a great car and an amazing value!

Damien

Edited by DMAC

Brandon, check out laruetactical.com for your scope mounting needs. They make super scope mounts. With the throw levers, you can remove your scope and take the whole thing off, put it back on, and it will still be zero'd- maybe not perfect, but very very close. The spr-e mount is the one shown, which moves the scope way forward, and for scopes with less eye relief, they make the same mount with a less forward base. These are very high quality units, and they cost a little more, but they are very worth it.

Brandon, check out laruetactical.com for your scope mounting needs. They make super scope mounts. With the throw levers, you can remove your scope and take the whole thing off, put it back on, and it will still be zero'd- maybe not perfect, but very very close. The spr-e mount is the one shown, which moves the scope way forward, and for scopes with less eye relief, they make the same mount with a less forward base. These are very high quality units, and they cost a little more, but they are very worth it.

I found the mount and will get it. Is the weaver scope ok for up close shots as well. I mean like 10 yards or less. Some times its hard to find the targets with a scope like that when you in a shoot house or room.

thanks

Brandon

The Weaver has a low power of 1.5, which will make it harder to use in a CQB type situation. I think it is more a personal preference as many people use it. It also has a lot to do with an individuals eyes and eye dominance. I simply have a lot of trouble with scopes that don't go to a true 1x power. I wouldn't use one, but there are many who do and it works for them. Scopes are very much an individual choice depending on use, but you will see the list of recommended scopes narrow down for this sport. For frequent use under 10yds like you stated, this might not be the best scope for you.

I got the Millett last night and mounted it on a rifle. Haven't shot it, but to tell the truth, I'm not terribly impressed. I'm thinking of sending it back to SWFA. It feels like looking through a tube, which it is, but it shouldn't be so pronounced in a 30mm tube. What I like least is that the eye box (if that is what it's called) seems very restrictive on 4x. In other words, there isn't a lot of latitude for eye placement in relation to the scope. This would slow things down on the longer targets. Also the illumination leaves something to be desired. On an overcase day, looking out a window and with the illumination setting at max, it was just barely noticeable that the doughnut was slightly red. I like the doughnut-dot reticle, but not enough to override the scope's shortcomings.

I have a non-illuminated Meopta 1-4x (Z-Plex crosshair reticle) that is more useable. It feels like I can see the world through the Meopta at 1x, but the view through the Millett seems limited in comparison. I also have a TR-21 which I love (except that it isn't true 1x on the low end). With the Accupoint you don't have to worry about the reticle not being bright enough. In fact it usually has to be toned down, especially on a bright day.