Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this holster worth 300 dollars

mittim1965

Hello: NO. I had one and dropped a pistol a couple of times. So I sold it. Most secure holster for Limited Blade Tech DOH and Cr Speed. I use both and must say the DOH is not that much slower for me than the CR Speed. I have looked at the Ghost holsters but have not tried one. I am very happy with the ones I am using now. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I like mine. I really like the lock being on the outside of the holster rather than behind it as in the Ghost. That being said I would not pay the $300.00 that they get for them now (bought mine years ago). I can easily live with a Ghost for less than half the price. There are several other styles that are great. You will have to practice with whatever you choose.

CYa,

Pat

Hello: NO. I had one and dropped a pistol a couple of times. So I sold it. Most secure holster for Limited Blade Tech DOH and Cr Speed. I use both and must say the DOH is not that much slower for me than the CR Speed. I have looked at the Ghost holsters but have not tried one. I am very happy with the ones I am using now. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Eric, slight drift; do you wear your DOH very much forward, and do you have a cant to it, or is it straight?

just got one last week and Im fiddling around with it.

Hello: NO. I had one and dropped a pistol a couple of times. So I sold it. Most secure holster for Limited Blade Tech DOH and Cr Speed.

I don't know how anyone can say a CR Speed is more secure than a Ribas when it's possible to draw the gun out of a "locked" CR. I know shooters who have had guns knocked out of "locked" CR's and been DQ'd. To get the gun out of a locked Ribas you'd have to break the trigger guard off the gun. If someone has dropped a gun out of a Ribas (or Ghost, or Limcat) they didn't have it locked or semi-locked when they should have....not a dig, just reality. While it would be pretty unusual, it would be easier to knock a gun out of a DOH than out of a locked Ribas. Say you're carrying a prop dummy and have to throw it...if it hooks the gun in a DOH, it could come out (yes, I have a DOH for my Limited gun, so I'm not knocking them). That simply couldn't happen with a locked Ribas...you might knock yourself over, but the gun isn't moving.

I have two Ribas holsters and I'd buy another one if mine were lost, damaged or stolen. Many folks spend multiple thousands of dollars on one racegun, likely a couple grand more on a backup, hundreds, if not a thousand, on mags, thousands per year on match fees and ammo and then try to save $1-200 on their holster...doesn't make sense to me.

I think what makes the CR a little more secure is the muzzle rest. I just wouldn't feel secure drawing from a seated start knowing I could bump the gun out from the muzzle hitting the chair.

I've owned 3 so far, the Safariland 012, the Ghost and the CR. Of the 3 with my limited experience I feel the CR is the most secure, and the Ghost the fastest drawing. I'm thinking of getting another Ghost for my Open gun, but the few times I've looked down to see an unlocked holster is a confidence killer.

Holsters are very much preference, what ever you have, practice with and feel the most confident with is the best holster there is out there.

I was in the market for a new race holster and my money went back to a CR-Speed after considering the other brands. I bought one used off here. You can find them for around $100 most of the time used on here. I have two or three of them now and like them alot. Just can't seem to spend 3x more on a race holster. Even though I have spent much more on other things as Gman has mentioned. But that $200 saved went to more stuff, so I still feel I am further ahead than if I was to have spent it on a Guga....There was also a write up in Front Sight recently that persuaded me to stick with the CR.

I think what makes the CR a little more secure is the muzzle rest. I just wouldn't feel secure drawing from a seated start knowing I could bump the gun out from the muzzle hitting the chair.

That's where semi-locked or the Ribas comes in....you sweep the lever while grabbing the gun. I can never remember whether it's my middle finger or ring finger that hits the lever, but it practically requires no thought at all. The gun can't get bumped out and if it's not as fast that way you're talking maybe a couple hundreths of a second extra to sweep the lever.

Even with the muzzle platform a gun can still come out of a CR in some of the unusual starting positions we have...seated in vehicles etc...something just has to hit the grip of the gun. Until CR improves the "lock" people are going to get DQ'd and say "but the lock was engaged". If the lock of the Ribas is in the semi or fully locked position there simply is NO way the gun can come out short of some major damage to gun or holster.

Muzzle platforms don't make holsters more secure....solid, repeatable locks that don't fail make holsters more secure. The strongest, most reliable lock out there comes on the Ribas. Put that lock next to all the others and there simply isn't any comparison.

There was also a write up in Front Sight recently that persuaded me to stick with the CR.

If I recall they didn't test, compare or mention the Ribas. I wondered whether they weren't aware of them, couldn't get one or left them out for some other reason.

There was also a write up in Front Sight recently that persuaded me to stick with the CR.

If I recall they didn't test, compare or mention the Ribas. I wondered whether they weren't aware of them, couldn't get one or left them out for some other reason.

Yeah- just the Limcat, Safariland, CR, Ghost and Arredondo.

G-man,

Having played with your Gugas (that sounds kind of wrong) after buying the limcat, I will admit that the gugas seems like substantially more holster. The 2 advantages that I can recall would be the tension adjustment (the limcat could use a LITTLE drag to make it more my liking) and the positive click when holstering.

I've been dry firing at least an hour a day with the Limcat since I got it last month and its certainly plenty safe and plenty reliable. The disengagement lever is EASY to swipe with your middle finger on a seated draw or whenever you'd want it locked to start and is totally natural. A couple of dry fire practices with the lock insures that its completely normal. I shot my first match with it yesterday and unlocked at LAMR and drew confidently on all 7 starts.

The gun is NOT coming out of the holster locked. NOT. Can't say the same for my CR or DOH. I can only see getting DQ'd with it on reholstering or by being plain lazy/ stupid. The lock is WAY more positive than the CRSpeed lock.

With all that said, I still don't feel all that comfortable with the limcat, where the CR felt more natural. The reholstering on the CRSpeed was more confidence inspiring.

Its mostly a trust and experience issue for me. I think I'll probably go to the DOH eventually.....

The Ribas I had was not a viable option. It wouldn't hold a gun safely at all if it was unlocked. I can generally walk around at will w/ an unlocked Ghost and not fear dropping the gun (running around is another story). The Ribas, not so.

I'm told there are somewhere around four different generations, now - the early one or two were apparently quite solid. The newer ones, not so much. I wouldn't pay $10 for the one I had. $300 is frankly just silly for that POS.

No holster is perfect. We had a shooter drop a gun out of a kydex DOH this weekend, just following another shooter with a video camera. I switched from a Ghost to a CR Speed a while back, because I couldn't get along with the lock on the Ghost, and wanted something I could draw through the lock, if required. I've practiced a number of seated draws, etc, w/ the CR - no issues, as yet. If I could find a 011, honestly, I'd consider going to it, instead... The 012 sucks for me, too (far too wide, and they crippled the muzzle tension adjustment on that holster).

If someone made kydex that worked correctly for race guns, I'd get one... ;) (and, no, I'm not going to go fab'ing my own holsters :lol:)

The Ribas I had was not a viable option. It wouldn't hold a gun safely at all if it was unlocked. I can generally walk around at will w/ an unlocked Ghost and not fear dropping the gun (running around is another story). The Ribas, not so.

Dave, I own a new one purchased a year ago and an old purchased 2+ yrs ago and they both are very secure, no difference there. Just increase the tension adjust and it should be very secure unlocked. Sounds like there was an issue with yours. The GR is easily the most secure of the lot.

Muzzle platforms don't make holsters more secure....solid, repeatable locks that don't fail make holsters more secure. The strongest, most reliable lock out there comes on the Ribas. Put that lock next to all the others and there simply isn't any comparison.

This is my experience as well and I have been through all of these mentioned.

I got my first Ribas holster a few years back when they were going for about $150.

Much better than the ghost it replaced.

I got a backup here on the classifieds a little while back for about $225 or so.

I love the holster but it would be a difficult decision if I had to get another for full price.

I've tried the ghost and the CR Speed WSMII. No real contest. I haven't tried the limcat though.

One excellent holster that never gets mentioned is the Hogue Universal Powerspeed. It has absolute retention, is super fast

to unlock, and very adjustable. It retails in Brownell's for about $120. I have 2 of them - they are worth checking out.

One excellent holster that never gets mentioned is the Hogue Universal Powerspeed. It has absolute retention, is super fast

to unlock, and very adjustable. It retails in Brownell's for about $120. I have 2 of them - they are worth checking out.

They are excellent for the Glocks. I don't like them for any other guns because it doesn't hold them as well.

I like the GR a lot, but not worth $300 to me. I keep looking for a used one for cheaper. Since Xre doesn't think his is worth $10, I'll be willing give him $11 for it.

Edited by racerba

They are excellent for the Glocks. I don't like them for any other guns because it doesn't hold them as well.

I like the GR a lot, but not worth $300 to me. I keep looking for a used one for cheaper. Since Xre doesn't think his is worth $10, I'll be willing give him $11 for it.

Actually, I would be willing to go $12.00 :) Seriously, his is so far from my experience with them that it sounds like it is broken.