Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Minor

Boatshu

Hi,

New to IPSC, I'm shooting the production class with a CZ-SP-01 9mm and I'm wondering what type of ammunition to shoot. I know minor is 125 or above but is there a bullet type..hollow point, ball that works the best. Also I know the formula to get to 125 but where do you find the fps on over the counter loads ? Does one factory load work the best?

Thanks for ll the help in advance......Happy Holiday's.

Shu

Shu - I moved into Open this year but my son is shooting production. I/he always shot regular old Win White Box from WalMart before I started reloading. It seems to do fine and has always made minor for me. You'll need to invest in, or borrow a chrono to know for sure, for your own piece of mind.

I will say that that now that I'm reloading, I'll never go back. Really is a big difference not only in cost, but in the way the loads feel in the gun. I know you didn't ask, but I'd feel negligent if I didn't at least mention it.

JimInFL

The whole "Minor" "Major" scoring came from the Browning Hipower with standard 9mm ball ammo that most of the world was using and GI .45 ACP ball ammo the Americans were using. You would be hard pressed to find factory 9mm ammo that doesnt make minor in a 4 inch or longer barrel. The manufacturers all have websights which list the velocity of their loads. Remington value packs, American Eagle, Winchester white box is all decent ammo, makes power factor, and is accurate enough for our game. You can often find military surplus ball ammo at good prices and most of that will work fine also just be advised that most military 9mm is "Nato Spec" and will generate noticably more recoil than commercial bulk ammo.

I know quite a few guys that have had great results with Winchester white box ammo. I agree with the rest, most factory ammo will do you just fine, I would just shop around and see what you can get in bulk, and shoot lots, and have fun! I shot a bunch of American Eagle 124gr years ago that worked really well too by the way. Most all manufacturers make good ammo.

Hello: The Monarch in the green box is the lowest power factor 9mm I have tried. It makes minor easily. You need to reload to keep costs down and make some really soft 9mm if you want to. The 147 grain Precision bullets are great for that. Start collecting brass now and buy a Square Deal B from our host. It will cost you half as much as buying ready made loads. That will make you shoot twice as much :cheers: Now get out there and collect brass. Thanks, Eric

Shu,

I have tried WWB in my SP-01 and it works well but it is sort of snappy (in a minor sort of way :rolleyes: ). A load that I found that worked perfectly and shot real soft was the Armscor 124 FMJ. It was competitive in price to the WWB a couple years ago. I really liked the feel of a 124 as opposed to a 115. 147's seemed sluggish. I got the tip on the 124 weight bullet from Angus. A couple folks I know who don't reload use Atlanta Arms with good results.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Chuck

PS: You mentioned IPSC. Did you mean USPSA or are you outside the US? 125 is minor in both, just curious.

Edited by ChuckS

When I don't have time to reload I shoot white box, simply because it is about the only thing available here.. I did shoot some federal 115's and 124's at some point they were a little less recoil... I think if you tune into your timing with the gun it doesn't really matter enough to tell except any but the highest levels of shooting.

Atlanta Arms makes some of the softest shooting minor 9mm stuff around. Last I heard he was supplying ammo to the Glock team. Either way my experience is that it is way better than WWB, and for that matter any of the off the shelf ammo I ran though my 9mm. .

Atlanta Arms makes some of the softest shooting minor 9mm stuff around. Last I heard he was supplying ammo to the Glock team. Either way my experience is that it is way better than WWB, and for that matter any of the off the shelf ammo I ran though my 9mm. .

I shot Area-2 on the same squad as Dave S. and he was definitely using Atlanta Arms & Ammo 9mm minor. We talked about it a bit and he said that it's worked great for him. He said he doesn't have as much time to reload as he used to so I guess that's sort of a win/win situation!

I ran the chrono at our section match this year, the Atlanta Arms 147's were so soft it isn't even funny and it made minor in every case with room to spare. It is so much softer than WWB or any other low cost 115 that you won't believe it until you try it. I'd definitely try it if I were you, if it runs your gun well and is accurate enough I don't think you will find anything that is softer shooting.

I thought I really liked 124/5 grain bullets but the 147's are super soft and flat, I hope to have some time this spring to really compare the two and see which one works better for me.

I have tried every factory 9mm out there and even compared them together in the same mag to see which was the softest. WWB had noticeably more recoil than the others. The Atlanta Arms and Ammo was indeed the softest but Remington UMC was just about the same and much less expensive. That is what I used for a few years until I toook the plunge into reloading. If you check the maufacturers websites as I have you will see Remington UMCs reported velocity is a little lower than the other major maufacturers and still makes 125 PF. I have had them chrono'd at many matches and it usually gives a PF around 130 out of my Glock 17.

I have a new Shadow, as well.

+1 on the Winchester white box from Wal-Mart. The Rem UMC does have some feed problems because of the short over-all length. Also, the Precision (Black) Bullet is great in anything BUT the CZ. The truncated cone shape and the ramp/chamber don't like each other. I do like the 147 Precision in my G-17.

As per conversation with Angus, I'm working up a load with 124 grain rn, fmj.

The lighter bullets feel better in the CZ, and like another on this thread said, not as "sluggish."

Edited by BlackSabbath

Thanks for all the info, I've been away from the computer ( out shooting ). In all the response's were great help. I'm shooting white box now with no feed issues in the gun. I do plan on reloading in the near future. Thanks again for all the help.......