Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34: improvement mods?

surfdog

I'll be taking possession of a new 34 (heinie/dawson), my 1st glock and will be shooting USPSA.

As I'm breaking it in and getting familiar with it, what mods should I be considering & prioritizing? Adhereing to USPSA IDPA rules.

extended slide release

extended mag release

backstrap plug

trigger job

etc., etc.

I'm pretty new to handguns... prefer the Accuracy of rifles. I'm aware a 34's not a bullseye gun, but I like Accuracy.

e.g., the 2 other handguns I shoot are a 22lr S&W 41 and 617-6" revolver w/ trigger jobs, wolff springs, etc. and I tested a lot of ammo

off bags at 25yds w/ a scope to find their favorites, and buy in bulk. Suggested mods?

TIA!

Edited by surfdog

Hello: You are starting with the right Glock for IDPA and Production. You have good sights on it already. I would get the plug then play. I would not use the extended slide stop and it has the extended mag release already. You should look up the thread about the 2lb triggers on here after you have shot it for a bit. Enjoy your Glock and go out and shoot! Hope this helps. Oh ya start collecting brass now. Thanks, Eric

Do a 25 cent trigger job on it, slap some grip tape in the spots it will help, and call it done. I believe these simple mods are all a Glock needs, further mods seem to create problems more often than not.

I find no problem with the stock extended mag release and slide release, though many do. If you reload you may want to consider changing to a stainless guide rod and 13# spring eventually if you running ammo in the low to mid 130s PF. I see some trigger work in your future eventually as well: I find the Lonewolf 3.5# connector much more crisp than the OEM Glock 3.5, which is mushy, IMO. YMMV. I like Vanek triggers.

I like TruGrip instead of skateboard tape because of how it's cut to conform around the finger grooves...worth the couple extra bucks.

You'll probably find the G34 more accurate than you are. I had a good day recently and placed 4 out of 5 rounds into a one inch group at 25 yds shooting for the upper A box...this is from a G34 with nearly 50K rounds through the barrel. Wish I could do that on demand...unfortunately I can't and today's practice wasn't nearly so impressive :( , but the point is, the G34 can do it if you do your part.

You already have upgraded sights, so that's about all it takes to make a full-zoot Production race gun...don't you love it :D

EDITED: because I hate typos and had a couple more thoughts!

Edited by BayouSlide

Do a 25 cent trigger job on it, slap some grip tape in the spots it will help, and call it done. I believe these simple mods are all a Glock needs, further mods seem to create problems more often than not.

+1

When I was shooting my glock in Limited, I thought I could change it and make it better. :huh: All I ended up doing "even with the help of some smiths" was just adding unreliability to the gun. Springs, guide rods, magazine fiddling and so on.

I got to the point that I just put it back to stock and then it ran 100%. The grip tape was the best mod I found for it IMO... I did shave the grip some to fit my hand better and I do love that, in hind sight though. I might not have even done that because it prevented me from shooting production with the gun. I would have liked to still have that option open. Hope that is of some help to you.

Hope that is some of what you might have been looking for. B)

Can I get a AMEN brothers and sisters!

Jimmy

As soon as you get the gun, swap out the extended slide lock lever and replace it with the standard slide lock lever.

The ESLL has been known to cause operator-created jams. Other then that, shoot the G34 for a while and get to know it.

As the months pass, you may want to consider other mods like polishing the internals ( $.25 triggerjob) and adding TruGrip (best grip tape on the market). Since you already have a rockin' set of sights, that really is about it.

For what it's worth, the only time I ever made my G34 choke was with a certain aftermarket trigger (no, not the Vanek which I run now). The first sample stopped working properly within 1K rounds and the second wore out of spec and began malfunctioning after about 10K.

Maybe I'm lucky (the rest of my life would probably disprove that notion) but I believe if you stick to the standard mods recommended by experienced people like those on this site you will have a Glock that fits your shooting a little better AND is stone-cold reliable.

Curtis

Excellent......... Thanks! B)

Please recommend a couple different 9mm rounds to start with... knowing that I'm coming from a 22lr platform, and that I like to hit

what I'm aiming at. I'm certain 22lr match ammo is comparably cheap, but my S&W's like Wolf MT (made in Germany) and CCI SV.

I understand Wolf 9mm is not made to the same standards.... but is it safe to buy in bulk as a practice round? (my momma raised a thrifty boy... :P

however, I do not see reloading in my near future), and I read somewhere that Atlanta Arms makes a 'sweet-shooting' 147 gr load that is used by the

Glock Team (?). I understand the 147 gr bullets are softer shooting than the 115 or 124 gr bullets, but are not thrifty...

Hmmm

Another easy choice is the Winchester 100 round value pak. Walmart has them most of the time. I still pick them up occasionally when I'm to lazy to reload. Shot up about 300 rounds of it today at Rio's first official "Monster Match". Works great. Runs around 133+PF out of my G17 and is very fast shooting for me.

Jim

My suggestion on mods for the G34 is to shoot it for a while before you change anything. You'll see what you feel that you need to do. When I first started shooting USPSA, I ran stock GLOCK sights and minimal trigger work on a 22 and made it to "B" Limited. Now I think that trigger and sights are the most important things to fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I put a lone wolf 3.5lb connector, lone wolf ultimate trigger stop, lone wolf 4lb striker spring, and a lone wolf 6lb trigger spring which gave me a really smooth trigger job for under $40. I was too scared to start polishing and grinding anything myself. This also allowed me to have the OEM parts still available to reinstall if I didn't like it. I haven't put it on a trigger pull gauge, but if I were to guess, I would say that it wound up somewhere around 3lb trigger pull. I also added a Lightning strikes titanium safety plunger, but I couldn't tell that it made any difference.

Another easy choice is the Winchester 100 round value pak. Walmart has them most of the time. I still pick them up occasionally when I'm to lazy to reload. Shot up about 300 rounds of it today at Rio's first official "Monster Match". Works great. Runs around 133+PF out of my G17 and is very fast shooting for me.

Jim

I was at a Walmart in Mesa last week and was surprised to see 30+ boxes of WWB 9mm 100 rd. boxes for $19.97. It's the same price in San Diego area Walmarts, but I can never find them in stock. I'm told that the shooters over here put together group buys and they buy them up as soon as the shipments come in.

I would recommend shooting WWB 9mm, Wolf...whatever you can find the cheapest.

If you eventually decide to go for a lightened striker spring as part of your trigger setup - and many do - I'd recommend staying away from the hard primered stuff like WWB, Wolf, S&B, etc., as many people find that combination (light striker spring/hard primers) leads to misfires.

I'm not saying there aren't some guns that will reliabily light off ammo that others won't. For instance, my G34 will fire WWB all day long without a problem. My G17 won't - even with the exact same trigger components in both guns. And I mean the exact same components - I can take the trigger guts that work perfectly in G34, put them in the G17, and get misfires. The only misfire I've ever had with my G34 was one round of Wolf 9mm. Thus I don't put Wolff 9mm into my Glocks anymore. Solved that problem!

Can I get a AMEN brothers and sisters!

Jimmy

Amen, I've owned several Glock 34's and have just gotten another one. I've had them stippled, internal magwell bevel, NP3 coated slide, all kinds of trigger jobs, etc. I'm going to keep this one stock except for a 10-8 rear sight and fiber optic front with just a polish on the existing stock internals.

+1 on Adding some grip tape, new sights, and polishing trigger parts. At that point you've got a disgustingly reliable gun with a good enough trigger.

Have to admit though, got to play with Pstmstr's last 34 and the internal magwell was pretty cool, although I'd never drop the dough for one.

• 8 months later...