Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34... or 19?

surfdog

Newbie here... All excited about getting to USPSA shooting. After handling many, and shooting a Glock 17,

I narrowed my choice down to a Glock 34.

I'm now considering getting a CCW. That has me questioning the G34 and looking at a G19.

Short of getting both.... How much of a handicap will a G19 be, compared to a G34, in USPSA Production competition?

TIA!

I'd say the 19. You CAN carry a 17 or 34...but after a bit you won't. It is literally a pain in the butt. I carry a 23 (same size as the 19) everyday. The 19 is a good carry size and will do you just fine in production.

You shot the one you should consider most. The G17.

The G34 is outstanding for practical shooting. That is what it was designed to do.

The G19 is outstanding for CCW. That is what it was designed to do.

Ultimately it's a personnel choice.

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

I shot a Glock 34 in competition, and carried it concealed almost every day, for about four years. It's not as hard to do as some folks would have you believe. I have also carried, and shot in competition, a Glock 19. There's no doubt the 34 is easier to shoot. Having said all that, if you want the best of both worlds, I think I'll echo JimmyM and say: split the difference and go for a Glock 17. I've shot Master scores on the IDPA classifier with both the 34 and 17. You're giving up very little if anything in shootability by choosing the 17 instead of the 34, but you wind up with a gun considerably easier to shoot fast and well than a 19. My $.02. :)

I agree with taco101...Go with the 19. You might want to look into IDPA as and additional way to shoot/practice/have fun as it is more CCW oriented. The 19 will work there also. Later on, if you want, you can invest in a 34 for USPSA and IDPA. Then use the 19 once in a while in competition.

JMHO

Richard

A good compromise is a G17. If you can conceal it comfortably go for it. It shoots about as well as the G34 IMO.

Buyer beware: If you get the action shooting bug you'll want to modify the gun's sights and maybe trigger so be prepared for getting two guns!

Buyer beware: If you get the action shooting bug you'll want to modify the gun's sights and maybe trigger so be prepared for getting two guns!

I'd change the sights and do a 25 cent trigger job on a carry gun too!

I won't. I want a stock trigger on my carry guns given that we live in this anti gun/litigious world. I use Dawson sights F&R and they are not as sturdy as I'd want on a carry gun.

I'd change the sights and do a 25 cent trigger job on a carry gun too!

I won't. I want a stock trigger on my carry guns given that we live in this anti gun/litigious world. I use Dawson sights F&R and they are not as sturdy as I'd want on a carry gun.

If I'm gonna put some holes in a bad guy, I'm going to if my trigger is smooth or not.

Heck, I carry my single stack division gun so I'm not worried about it.

Y'know, this reminds me of a conversation I had with Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide Shop on the topic of pulling the magazine disconnector out of a Browning Hi-Power. Bill doesn't offer this service anymore (and the only reason not, he said, was "pure-ass product liability") but back when he did he was talking on the phone to a California judge who was listing the stuff he wanted done to his personal Hi-Power. The judge said, "And pull the mag disconnector, of course." Now, you'd think that if anyone has seen people get screwed for doing anything with a gun it would be a California judge. Bill asked him, "Aren't you afraid you'll get 'crucified in court for deactivating a safety device on your gun'™?" The judge, literally, laughed at him, and said, "That NEVER happens. It's just something people scare themselves with."

If I'm gonna put some holes in a bad guy, I'm going to if my trigger is smooth or not.

Heck, I carry my single stack division gun so I'm not worried about it.

And if I were on your Jury it wouldn't matter. Vice versa too I'm sure. But I live in MA and I'd almost be presumed guilty just for having a gun in the first place. Sad huh? So I'll play it as "safe" as I can. I've had some attorneys recommend this to me as well.

I started out shooting a 23 for several months because that’s what I had and I even won some club matches with it in Limited before getting a 35. I think the bigger gun is a bit easier to shoot and in the long run probably makes a bigger difference but if your just starting out I think the 19 would suite you just fine. I shoot my 23 now in IDPA matches and I’m actually surprised how well I can hit with it considering I don’t do any other practice with it.

Going with the 17 is always and option and that’s what my girlfriend did but going that route you might still end up with 3 guns rather than 2 by the time you get what you really want. I heard her talking about wanting both a 19 and a 34 too. On the bright side glocks are cheap.

If you can have only one, pick the one you like the most. For me that was the Glock 19. I've had mine for 20 years and got started shooting IDPA and USPSA Production with it. I'm shooting a Glock 17 in USPSA Limited and IDPA ESP now. Still carrying the Glock 19 and/or a Glock 26.

As most others have done, I started out with a 23 then moved to the 19 for cost when the bug bit me. Then a couple 17's a 34 (main comp gun), a 26, 27, 35, 21, 29, with a 20 waiting to come home soon. You can never have to many, right?

Start with any one of them. More will follow. :D

You are going to eventually buy both, so you might as well pick one right now. Do you plan on competing more or carrying more in the next twelve months? Competition=34 / Carry=19.

Realistically you are not going to be wrong with either pistol.

If you have average sized male hands (size large in a glove), you will want a grip long enough to practice reloads without filleting the skin off of the bottom of your palm. The G19 and G23 are just short enough you can pinch the skin in between the bottom of the grip and the mag base plate during a speed reload if you are not careful. If you go fast enough, it leaves a really neat line of blood-blisters where the pinching occurred. You don't even have to ask how I know.

G17 mags will work in a G19. G19 mags will not work in a G17. G17 and G34 mags are the same.

Go with a G17 for now or just get both.

If you are going to carry on a holster belt, then the G17 is an excellent choice for both carry and competition. The G19 is a better choice for carry, due to the somewhat reduced size and weight, but is a slightly worse choice for competition.

Overall, I'd say go with the G19. It's a better carry gun but will get you well into USPSA and IDPA. By that time, you will likely want to get a dedicated competition gun and will probably move away from 9mm anyway which leaves you with a good carry gun.

Edited by Graham Smith

If you are going to carry on a holster belt, then the G17 is an excellent choice for both carry and competition. The G19 is a better choice for carry, due to the somewhat reduced size and weight, but is a slightly worse choice for competition.

Overall, I'd say go with the G19. It's a better carry gun but will get you well into USPSA and IDPA. By that time, you will likely want to get a dedicated competition gun and will probably move away from 9mm anyway which leaves you with a good carry gun.

+1

Yeah, what he said. FWIW, I shoot a G17 in Production and carry a G19.