Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34... or 19?

surfdog

I carry a G19

I compete with a G34 in SSP and Production

19: 3.5 lone wolf connector, sevigny comp sights, trigger guard clearanced to make room for the ring finger of the strong hand.

34: Same as above, with griptape, modded striker and trigger spring, overtravel stop, and a skeletonized striker.

Very happy. I shot my 19 out of a CTAC at our indoor weekly IDPA match, and won it over the STIs and 34s. My vote is to skip the 17 (which is a compromise for both carry and competition) and buy a 19 for now. 6 months from now, you'll have improved enough in competition that the 34 will help. Buy one then. :)

Or just get all three...that's what I did...eventually :devil:

The G34 is great for competition, the G19 excels for CC, and the G17 is a great backup for either.

Curtis

Interesting concept... a "backup gun" for a Glock???

They've crucified posters for less on the Glok-talk forum...

LOL

JW

If you have average sized male hands (size large in a glove), you will want a grip long enough to practice reloads without filleting the skin off of the bottom of your palm. The G19 and G23 are just short enough you can pinch the skin in between the bottom of the grip and the mag base plate during a speed reload if you are not careful. If you go fast enough, it leaves a really neat line of blood-blisters where the pinching occurred. You don't even have to ask how I know.

You don't even need large hands for this to happen, mine are medium and I did it twice before I stopped shooting my 23 in IDPA. Both times that I did this it actually ripped the skin open.

Ok...I'll throw my response into the mix. I'd start with the G19. The G19 will ALWAYS be a great carry gun but the G17 and G34 are going to be a compromise in terms of carry. Once you start shooting USPSA with the G19, you may decide that you want to focus in a division other than production such as Limited/Open in which case, you're probably going to want something a bit more specialized than a Glock. If you started with a G34 or G17 and discover this...now you've got a gun you don't need anymore. You'll always be happy with the G19 because it does everything.....well.

Great advice, all. Thanks!

Since I'm a novice to handguns (1st semi-auto AND the shooting sports)... I decided it made the most sense to spend the next 12 months shooting USPSA, and perhaps IPDA and GSSF before making a CCW decision. Think it was the Pharaoh that got me on that one. Picked it out today, G34 OD. Heinie race-cut / Dawson F.O., and lots of mags!

I will admit that I wavered to the end with a G35 + 9MM conversion barrel. My club, otherwise strict on USPSA rules, would allow me to shoot a 9mm G35 in production, and I liked the G35's ability to shoot in Production, Limited, Limited 10 and even Open and get major power factor scoring.

However, in the end... My 1st New Year's resolution is to spend the next year mastering one gun, one round, so it's the G34, my first Glock.... TBC.

Gracias!

Edited by Duane Thomas

Thats what I did...... :cheers:

You'll love the Glock 34 for IDPA without a doubt. If you are serious about competing, the Glock 34 will give you the best chance in my opinion. Remember, longer sight radius with the Glock 34. I started shooting some 3 - gun and found the Glock 35 (40 cal) is the same gun as the G34 but the G35 is major caliber.

Agree with most here:

17 if you have to pick one for both or a 34 to compete; I have 26, but it is small but wide; I carried/shot a 19 a fair amount recently and feel it is nearly too small for me to compete with very well.

+1 on the "sunovab**** that hurt" when competing with a mid size GLOCK (23 in my case). After you do that a couple of times, your mag change times will increase dramatically. :angry2: I carry a 27 and compete with a 17 and a 22 (and yes I chose those over a 34 and a 35).

All that being said, I would rather compete with a 19 than CCW a 34.

You'll love the Glock 34 for IDPA without a doubt. If you are serious about competing, the Glock 34 will give you the best chance in my opinion. Remember, longer sight radius with the Glock 34. I started shooting some 3 - gun and found the Glock 35 (40 cal) is the same gun as the G34 but the G35 is major caliber.

If you handload .40 you can get it to shoot softer than a 9mm at the same power factor....which would give the 35 a slight edge overall. It can be as good or better than the 34 for Production and you can always load major ammo and shoot it in L-10 or add mag extensions and major ammo and shoot it competitively in Limited as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats what I did...... :cheers:

Well--I have two out of three. Started with the 19, then went to a 34 for competition. Probably won't get a 17.

Well--I have two out of three. Started with the 19, then went to a 34 for competition. Probably won't get a 17.

No, you'll probably get a 26. :) And then Glocks in other calibers, just to see what they feel like...