Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Appleseed Project

ShaunH

I think that they are sincere in their efforts to preserve our shooting heritage and gun ownership rights (recently affirmed under the 2nd Amendment in D.C. v. Heller). Their goals tend to mirror those of the old tax-payer funded DCM/CMP program: all civilians should learn and maintain skills as riflemen.

BUT, like those programs, the course of fire appears to be limited to NRA-style 3 or 4 position slow-fire shooting. That is not a criticism, just an observation.

I've participated in an event. I had a lot of fun. I would shoot it more often if they had more. I play with the reduced CoF and targets as it's a fun way to practice with an AR with a .22 conversion kit. We had appleseed information put into the match bags at the IDPA nationals this year.

I think it does a lot of good. What I have seen it:

*Gets people to the range

*Gets people to learn more about 3 position rifle shooting (a lot of the guys never did anything except shoot off the bench before an appleseed clinic)

*Gets people's competitive juices going as most want to get a good enough score to get the free "Rifleman" patch.

I wish more clubs were active in it. I'm suprised that more clubs active in USPSA rifle and/or Three Gun don't give it a shot. Good way to bring in some new shooters.

Full disclosure, there is some politics to it. One of the CoF's that I shot was shooting a vehicle of a UN convoy operating in the United States (sometime in the future) Take that or leave it.

The guy at Fred's M14 stocks is who put it together. http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/Default.asp

Ted

Full disclosure, there is some politics to it. One of the CoF's that I shot was shooting a vehicle of a UN convoy operating in the United States (sometime in the future) Take that or leave it.

The guy at Fred's M14 stocks is who put it together. http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/Default.asp

Ted

That was what I was wondering. Thank you. I think the program is a good idea.

I just listened to Sam Damewood on the radio giving information about it on the Alex Jones Show. Sounds pretty good. Along with rifle instruction they give historical information regarding why the British were marching on Lexington and Concord, the revolutionary war, and the importance "rifleman" played in the militias fighting the British.

Looks like they have some dates for 2009:

Current RBC Stops for 2009:

Ramseur, NC - Feb 22-March 1

Douglas, WY - April 26-May 3

Three Forks, MT- May 3 - 10

Ramseur, NC - May 17-25 (free extra day)

Ramseur, NC - June 28-July 5

Ramseur, NC - August 30-September 7 (free extra day)

Osage Beach, MO - October 18-25

I hope they come to Oregon.

Edited by ShaunH

We should probably limit the discussion of this program to the courses of fire and skills taught, or this will very fast become a political discussion, against forum rules. :ph34r:

Good point. Agreed!

Some great things about Appleseed:

-very pro-junior. In all the reviews I have seen, there are many juniors participating with their parents.

-accomplishes its goals on any 25 yard range; this is a big plus because makes the same course of fire possible almost anywhere.

-more flexible on the types of rifles used; generally, you can shoot what ever rifle you own without regard to caliber or sighting device.

-CBR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd like to know the specifics as well.

There is an Appleseed shoot coming close to me, but if spending $50 ($80 for both days) and 400 rounds I'd like to know what I'm in for and if it is worth it for a fairly experienced shooter...

It looks like a great program for new/young shooters. I was introduced to shooting (.22 rifle 50' targets) by a program hosted by the Long Beach (CA) police department. If there had been a program like this back then, I would have loved it.

From what I can see, it's also a program that can get shooters involved without a lot of expense and more-or-less keeps shooters on an even playing field.

They just did one of these shoots at my home gun range. There was about 80 shooters out there with mostly 22s, AR's and some bolts and carbines. COF looked similar to the Air Force M-16 qualification course. Pretty basic stuff, but a really good place for beginners to start out at.

I will preface this post wtih the fact that I have not shot at an Appleseed yet, but I am planning on taking my daughter (10 years old) to one. Here is the link to their web site. They also have a forum, but the web site gives most of the information about the event.

I think that these are great in getting new shooters and a safe place to take one's kids to shoot. I would love to see a IPSC/USPSA event like this geared towards newbie's! Any volunteers?

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/index.htm

Jason

• 2 months later...

I just returned from an Appleseed workshop. Well worth the money for the instruction provided.

The instruction places an emphasis on the use of a sling, sight alignment, sight picture, natural point of aim, breathing, trigger control, physical positions as applied toward NRA type of longer range shooting. The course of fire is based on the Army Qualification Course done at 25 meters.

Yes, you will get a history lesson on what occured on April 19, 1775. Politics? No. I didn't see it. A wakeup call? Yes.

I suggest that you bring a magazine fed, scoped rimfire to learn the basics. Once you qualify 210 out of 250 and earn your Rifleman patch with the rimfire transition to a scoped magazine fed centerfire. Take what you learned on rimfire and now apply it to centerfire. The skills transition easily.

I'm no great rifle shooter by any means. OK, but not great. The instruction pushed me to a new level where I qualified on the second attempt with the rimfire. Transitioned to the AR and qualified on the third attempt once I got the mag changes under control in sitting and prone. It's not easy but it's do-able. Even if you're highly experienced, go. The coaches can see bad habits and tweak you to help you do better. There isn't a one of us that can't use a coach.

As Ted Murphy stated above it at least gets people to the range. People learn the basics of position shooting. As Ted stated I was amazed at how many had only shot off a bench before the workshop. Yes, the competitive juices do get flowing. However, I didn't see what Ted saw concerning the convoy. It definitely isn't in the approved course of fire.

Personally it was one of the best gun related weekends I've ever had. I came for the rifle instruction and came home with much more than that.

• 4 months later...

Merged topic. - Admin

Just got the current issue of "Front Sight" and saw the article on pages 13-15 by the Knox bros. about the Appleseed shoots. First, thank you gentlemen for an outstanding article! I've been to 6 Appleseeds so far and have enjoyed them all. I was wondering if any other USPSA pistol shooters have been to any and if so, what do you think? I've taken some of my pistol shooting friends along to the rifle events and talked some of the rifle shooters into shooting an USPSA match. A great way to get more people shooting our sport. If you own a rifle and have not been to an Appleseed, you are missing out on some great instruction and the chance to get fellow shooters out to try USPSA,,, a win/win as I see it. Moderators, if this post is not in the right place, I'm sorry, but since "Front Sight" had the article, I thought it would be ok to put it in under USPSA.

Edited by Flexmoney

I attended one this fall with a buddy and enjoyed it.

It is geared very much to the new shooter; things like basic sight picture, trigger control, zeroing, etc. One of my goals for 2010 is to improve my rifle shooting, so this provided a good inexpensive range day with some experienced folks to watch what I was doing and comment. My next step is to dable with a couple highpower matches and maybe next year get into a good 3-gun geared rifle class.

While I wish it was greater than 25 yds, I like that they make it so a person can bring anything they own and play... no equipment rules at all, and very little extra equipment required. I went ahead and bought a shooting mat, but that was all.

I picked up some of the 'AQT' targets they use so I can practice on my own and have something to compare to. I don't know that I would go again, but I'm not opposed to it.

They asked for comments from the day on the appleseedinfo.org forum, and here is what I wrote:

I'm not really a "rifle" guy, have a few and shoot them a couple times a year... and at that it's usually 3-gun type hose-fests. Arriving at the range I joked with my buddy that I could probably shoot equivalent or better groups off-hand w/ a pistol at 25 yds than prone with my rifle... but that's why I was there... to learn something and become more "one" with my long gun.

I was a little apprehensive what the "tone" would be. I had heard stories about anti-personel drills and was afraid the tone would be very 'militia-ish' or anti-gov dispite not being a billed as a militia group. Instead what I found was the instructors did an excellent job rooting the need for aimed/accurate fire in historical context and relating the training to our individual responsibility and heritage as citizens. I'm sure every 'seed is different based on the personalities of the instructors, but [the head instructor] and all the others did an excellent job and I think anyone at the range looking for stronger sentiment would have felt out of place.

As for the shooting, I'm definately a better shooter today then on Saturday morning when I showed up. I took away a lot of things I want to dryfire out, and I will be taking the AR along with me more often to the range.

As I expected, my handgun skills translated over very well (I have many years experience in practical pistol shooting). Sight-alignment, trigger control, and shot calling are the same no matter what the trigger is connected to. I pulled out a 230 on the first day and backed it up with several high 220's on Sunday. Getting the "Rifleman" patch on Sat took any self-induced pressure off, and I felt I could experiment more on Sunday and learn the effects of different grips, sitting styles, sight pictures, sling tension, etc.

All in all, 2 great days of shooting. Now I just have to let the burns on the small of my back heal from the hot brass belonging to the guy next to me...

-rvb

Went to an AS shoot in August last year. Thoroughly enjoyed it and became a better rifle shooter because of it. I already had the basics down but the instructors tweaked as necessary and scored Rifleman with first a 10/22 then with an AR.

It's a worthwhile project and the instruction is top notch. Another one is coming up in July in my area and I'll be there.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this.

I just found out there are lots of these in my area (Nashville, TN)

I've put a Sling and a set of Aperture sights on a 22 and have added it to my Dryfire practice.

Sighting a scaled 300m target is VERY different than a Pistol at 7 Yards :)

It seems like it is helping my Pistol shooting

Went to an AS shoot in Waterviletr, Mi last fall. Enjoyed it very much. Learned a lot about history and shooting a long gun. Shoot my DCM style AR for the entire event. Scored Riflemen. Their training of instructors is cleary first rate. Highly recommend.

Recently attended Patrol Carbine Instructor class. The Instructor changed my prone position, I shot. Then I took my AS prone position and shot, he told me to disregard the prone instructions he had given me.

I did this program with my son brother and nephew . it was excellent . phenomenal for new shooters and can be humbling to the experience one. the level of instruction changes with instructors. some are great and some are just okay . my 12 year old son also truly enjoyed the historical portion of the program . we definitely plan could do it again .

PS we shot 25-50-100 yards.

Edited by 1911vm

• 5 months later...