Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thermos Snob Thread

-JQ-

I inherited this from my dad. He died in 1979 and had carried it for a few years while working in the coal biz.

It worked then - it works now. Like the tagline on the bottom says" It will not break"

25a3pug.jpg

2numa0o.jpg

I couldn't help myself and had to post... :roflol:

I inherited this from my dad. He died in 1979 and had carried it for a few years while working in the coal biz.

It worked then - it works now. Like the tagline on the bottom says" It will not break"

25a3pug.jpg

2numa0o.jpg

I couldn't help myself and had to post... :roflol:

I wish I could find one of these. They work great and keep soup or coffee really hot for hours. This si the type my trucker Grandfather used and I inherited. It was stolen from my truck with my guns and CDs a few years back. The guys who got the pistols also got a thermos full of hot chocolate. :angry2:

The secret to those old Stanley bottles is the stopper, the new ones work just as well if you can get the old stopper somewhere. The new pour through stopper is terrible, doesn't keep the coffee hot well at all. I have two of the Stanley vacuum bottles, one for coffee and one for soup.

Hate to dissent with you, but they will break. Especially if you are a 8 year old kid who is tossing it up in the air and catching it as you walk across the yard several times until that getsw boring and you see how far you can throw it in the direction you are going which is pretty far because you are big for your age and it hits the ground with a sickening crunch just as your father rounds the corner and sees the whole thing and then about 2 minutes later you wish the belt he is using would break like the thermos because your ass is certainly breaking... <_<

post-10534-1227755618_thumb.jpg

I just walked into the house from duck hunting, set this on the counter and went into my office to check the computer where I saw your thread. Not sure how old your father was, but I'm 56 and have packed this around since sometime around 1974 - other than a few shotguns probably one of the only things I own that I've had that long..... I've replaced both the stopper and cap/cup numerous times but if properly pre-heated it will keep coffee hot all day. The thing I really like about it is the handle; estimated cost $300+ in late 1970's dollars!!! The pipefitters on a nuclear power plant job I was working on didn't have enough to do so they produced handles and belt buckles for all the trades on the job. The belt buckle was a work of art but has long since disappeared but this handle will never wear out and probably neither will the thermos. Brings back a lot of memories.

Jay,

try letting it fall down stairs, off the step of a pick up...my wife did that one :D, and see if it doesn't rattle with broken glass.

My parents had a Stanley that had a Cork for the stopper, no screw cap. There is also a 1 gallon one kicking around the house someplace.

Hate to dissent with you, but they will break. Especially if you are a 8 year old kid who is tossing it up in the air and catching it as you walk across the yard several times until that getsw boring and you see how far you can throw it in the direction you are going which is pretty far because you are big for your age and it hits the ground with a sickening crunch just as your father rounds the corner and sees the whole thing and then about 2 minutes later you wish the belt he is using would break like the thermos because your ass is certainly breaking... <_<

Ken,

As I understand it, the Stanley themos bottles have no glass in them. They are double walled Stainless steel with a vacuum between them. I have heard the sickening crunch you speak of and it was kinda depresing. However, I have dropped my Stanley numerous times and they just keep on working.

For those who would like to find one, watch your thrift stores around town. I found one that has a "Lipton Iced Tea" logo on it minus the cup. It was in near perfect shape and I think I gave $3.00 for it.

fwiw

dj

post-473-1227791537_thumb.jpg

edited to add picture. Old one on the left (abt 1979 or so) and newer thrift store model on right.

Edited by dajarrel

Heres a funny story, I am an insurance adjuster. :roflol: OK, stop laughing it gets better.

I got a claim last week for a gentlemen that has filed a claim because his Stanley thermos, (purchased in 2005) was being filled at 6am in the kitchen. The handle broke off and the thermos hit the floor. The charcoal inside the thermos used as an insulator then sprayed out all over the house.....ALL OVER THE HOUSE....inside the drawers, inside the cabinets, up the stairs, and into all the closets. He claims he needs to live in a hotel while the home is cleaned, his (4) cats are dying, and his girlfriend is also having health problems. He has also mentioned that he "knows" that Stanley has settled out of court for upwards of $75,000.00 for this same type of loss. This was all told to the insurance company within (4)-hours of the thermos breaking. When I got the assignment, and asked to schedule an appointment to inspect the damages, he told me he would call me back, he was going out to lunch and did not have his ATTORNEY'S number with him. That must have been some pretty bad charcoal to get everyone in the house deathly ill over the course of 4-hours. Besides the tremendous amount of pressure that thermos must have been under to spray charcoal into closed drawers, and cabinets, and then upstairs to the second floor of a 2000 square foot home. But what do I know, I am only a lowly insurance adjuster.

So with that said, I want all you guys out there to be very very carefull with those thermos's that have gone to hell and back over the last 40+ years, because obviously the charcoal in those bad-boys will likley burn your skin off, or melt your brain if it ever gets out. And we all know that stuff back then was built better then today, so if the handle breaks off, the whole neighborhood better look out for charcoal. :rolleyes: