Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inaccurate with Glock, Ok with XD40. Am I nuts?

FOB

Great site. I've been reading the posts for the past few days and have found a wealth of info. Hopefuly you can help me out. I started shooting at 8yrs old (22), hunting at 12 (carrying 243). Qualified Sharlshooter in the Navy with a 45 you could hear rattle if you shook it. I've enjoyed my S&W 586 for quite a few years. Several years ago I bought a Glock 9mm and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if I was in the barn. Sold the Glock to a friend of mine and he did very well with it (I was the problem not the gun). Then Nov 1 got invited to a IPSC match and went to WATCH. The friend I went with convinced me to use his spare equipment (XD40). Turns out I shot very well (very slow so score wasn't great) and had a great time. Now the question: is it normal to have accuracy problems with the Glock and do very well with an XD40 (which I had never shot before)? If this is a common problem which gun makers should I be looking at while searching for a gun to use for competition? Thanks In advance for the help. So far I havn't been able to locate places where I can rent and try out several pistols.

Welcome!

I'm a Glock shooter so... :rolleyes: It's not a one gun solution for all. If you shoot XD's better, buy one and practice your butt off. I'd still be shooting mine but didn't acquire the skills necessary to work on them. The XD is a good platform and in skilled hands a great one.

...edited to welcome new member.

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

I don't think it's the gun per se. Maybe the gun is just fits you better. Maybe the planets all lined up just right and there was a bird eating a snake when you picked up the XD and now you are cosmically linked to it. Whatever the reason, who cares. Just get one and shoot it. Then shoot it some more. Have fun and be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

You stated that you shot 1911's in the service, well an XD has a grip angle that more closley

resembles that of a 1911, maybe that was something that needed to be worked out with the Glock..

Maybe it's just a trick of the day. Picking up a new, unfamiliar, gun may make you more aware of something different

with it, let's say the trigger, and in so makes you pull that trigger straighter and more consitant (for a day or so) being

more aware that you are pulling it... :ph34r:

Or you could infact be nuts !! :roflol:

1911, 2011, Glock, XD, CZ75, M&P, EAA, etc.. Pick one and shoot it alot, thats the one you'll shoot well !!

• 2 weeks later...

This is clearly incontrovertible proof that the XD is superior to the Glock. :sight::devil::P

The important thing is that you had a great time and shot the XD well. Buy one (maybe the 9mm if you're going to compete in Production although the .40 works great for Limited 10), practice and go to another match as soon as you can. Welcome to the forum and a great sport. :cheers:

Fellas, fellas, he's obviously holding his tongue wrong...left side of the mouth not the right! But seriously, ask ?# people and get that many different opinions/answers. No right or wrong here just pick something that feels good (after you've borrowed/rented everything you can get your hands on) and go from there. Wasn't much to choose from when I started 30 years ago. On of our guys said I'd have trouble transitioning from DA to SA with his S&W Model 39 semi, picked it up and had no problem on an El Prez. There is no magic gun just a lot of practice in the future and dry fire too.

Good luck, be safe and have fun,

Richard

I thought all 1911's ratteled?

I agree with Dirty Chamber!

"You stated that you shot 1911's in the service, well an XD has a grip angle that more closley

resembles that of a 1911, maybe that was something that needed to be worked out with the Glock."

Let's look at his Avatar again.

LP

I think the Glock is every bit as accurate as the XD. Some guns seem to be harder to shoot for some people. My son now refuses to shoot my Glock 34, can't hit worth a darn with it. He likes my Benny Hill 6" Fat Free, and he does actually hit much better and faster using that gun.

It seems that the people that have trouble shooting the Glock will always shoot low and left. I am guessing getting used to the trigger is the problem.

I am a glock 17 shooter for about a year now and I will tell you that it does take a little getting used to the grip style of the glock. It's just not like other guns! To me it's better but I may be a little partial! :rolleyes: It's kinda like the Ford vs. Chevy debate. Everyone will differ! Like others have said pick one up and go practice!

i agree with dirty chamber and the others. i was raised shooting a 1911 and now that i am 50years old i still cant shoot the glock. i have tried 3 or 4 with no sucess. i was always having to roll my wrist to make it work. the first time i picked up an xd i thought someone has finally built one wright. the glock is a fine weapon and have several friends who compete with them that say they cant shoot a 1911. either gun are quality weapons so which ever one feels more natural is the one i think you need to use.

FOB,

Welcome to the forum and the addiction!

Most of my USPSA shooting has been done with a single stack 1911. I have never owned a Glock, but have shot them some. I can't seem to shoot the Glocks accurately. Not sure if it is grip size, angle, or the reach to the trigger. I think it would take me some serious practice time to get efficient with one, which probably won't happen for me. The XD that I have shot a few matches with in production was easier for me with no practice. So, I guess my experience with the results of Glock vs. XD would be similar to yours.

That being said I have a 1911 that is very accurate, but when I shoot it, it feels like I am holding the wrong end of a baseball bat compared to the single stack I use for matches.

Find a platform that feels comfortable, try to buy used to begin with and spend the money you save on ammo and practice.

Good luck.

B

I have an XD service w/ trigger job etc. and a Glock 34. They both shoot as well as I watch the front sight and press the trigger. They don`t however both shoot as well with he same load. Both will shoot better than I can.

Shoot the one you like and enjoy it.

Before I started shooting USPSA, I shot bows and shortguns competitively. The funny thing about it is when a newbie goes to a bow shop for the first time, most of the shop reps will go through different bows the the newbie to find one that 'feels' right to the new shooter. Feel is very important with a bow, and the way a bow feels while shooting can vary a lot because of the various designs. To this day, I just cannot shoot a PSE bow. They are great bows, but I can't hit crap with one.

A new shooter goes to a gun shop, and god knows what some of them will use a criteria to sell a gun. IMO, the feel of a handgun is just as important as the feel of a bow with a new shooter (new shooter is relative...). Just as the size and dimension of an over-under shotgun stock for a clays shooter is important. The feel of a handgun is simply not really taught or believed to be important to most guys behind a gun counter, but it is.

The Glock has a 7 degree difference in grip angle. That drastic a difference makes Glocks a gun that is loved or disliked, hardly any gray area.

Since this is in the BEginners Forum I'll add this. Some (none here I'm aware of) believe or want to believe that the Glock grip angle was an error or oversight of some sort. Polymer framed guns are light overall and top heavy. The Glock grip angle helps by lowering the bore and closely aligning it to the shooters arm. Very few handguns offer the controllability Glocks do, once learned.

Jim

I hate to sound like Switzerland, but I like all three - 1911's, Glock, and XD!!! I own all three and shoot them well (not bragging, just mean that they are all comfortable). I grew up shooting 1911's, but have to admit that both the Glock and XD have a very natural feel as well. Bottom line, it comes down to what is comfortable for you and what you can hit the target with!

Enjoy!!!

redintex