Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCUBA in Bali

Sharyn

After my devastating performance at Nationals and World Shoot... and failure of my webcast (even crashing a server in the process)... I've been feeling rather down in the dumps... :(

Here's where I've found my solace. I hope you enjoy too.

click here --> SCUBA Diving in Bali

We dove at Padang Bai and Tulamben. I only have pictures of Tulamben. The first set is from the USS Liberty wreck and the second is from "Drop Off".

I apologize for the audio as I've recorded the song off my computer... and don't feel up to searching for the CD to get a decent recording. Also, for all you photographers and SCUBA divers out there... I'm no photographer and I've just learned SCUBA diving. I have no formal photographic teaching and took these images with a rented camera. I'm a new diver... diving only my 4 required dives before the dives in Bali... so, it was difficult for me to concentrate on buoyancy as well as photography... let alone the challenges with an unknown camera and environment.

If you happen to know the identity of the marine species in my pictures, I'd appreciate identification. (other than the blue spotted stingray)

I hope you enjoy it and please refrain from critique or criticizing. Thank you.

I'll get around to posting video and pictures from the World Shoot in the next few days.

Although it's been several years since I made a dive, I always found it to be the most peaceful time I can remember. The seas above you may be in turmoil, but at 100 feet, it's smooth as silk.

Sharyn, did you notice how much color would jump out at you when you turned a good flashlight or flash on a seemingly 'white' looking fish when at about 60 feet or so? Sea water filters the red from the light reaching the bottom. It always amazed me to see a red snapper 'appear' when you put a bright light on it.

I hope you enjoy diving as much as I did. It's a trip that's well worth the time invested.

fwiw

dj

Sharyn, did you notice how much color would jump out at you when you turned a good flashlight or flash on a seemingly 'white' looking fish when at about 60 feet or so? Sea water filters the red from the light reaching the bottom. It always amazed me to see a red snapper 'appear' when you put a bright light on it.

I wish I would have understood lighting better before going on these dives. I think I could have taken much more beautiful pictures. I finally figured out that the flash was necessary on our last dive. While taking the pictures, all I could see on the digital screen was red splotches. I thought I was ruining all my pictures and wondered if I should turn the flash off again... glad I left it on! :)

I kinda feel like we were spoiled too early in our dive careers... like I should have had more experience and knowledge to fully appreciate the dive. Still, the dive was utterly amazing and wondrous. Glad y'all enjoy the pics too.

:)

The family and I went to the Cayman Islands early in our dive experience and it spoiled us for about anything else. There are some beautiful things to be seen around the world but the water clarity rarely gets any better than the caymans.

I've been certified since 1994, with around 50 ocean dives and I think you did a very nice job with your photography. I can't imagine taking those with only 4 dives on my log book!!

+1

You did really well, underwater photography is harder than it looks.

Sharyn,

Those were fantastic pics!

Hard to believe you were only a 4 dive veteran!

Great job and excellent music choice for the video.

I saw what looked like a few Yellow Tangs, a Moorish Idol and a Humumu (Hawaiian state fish).

A great tool I found was to have this fish identifinder wristlet. It has pics of the various types of fish you can expect to encounter and attaches to your wrist with an elastic cord. Easy to look at when encountering fish under water and I used it a LOT when my wife and I went to Hawaii.

I took a bunch of pics with small cameras but it looks like the way to go would have been to rent one like you had. How much did they hit you for the rental if you don't mind my asking?

Great shots.

JK

Thanks guys! I appreciate the compliments. :)

Well... everything is "negotiable" in Bali... I'm not very good at bartering, but got the camera (w/CD of pictures) for $25/day. I felt the price was worth it.

I happened to click on that song in my iTunes (Fleetwood Mac - Crystal) randomly. Thought it would go well with the slideshow. :D

Thanks for the IDs. I keep searching the 'net for the names of things. I've found that I'm very interested in what everything is... didn't know that about myself. :D I've contacted my dive instructor to see if he knows about a course or resources for IDing marine life.

There were a lot of cool things that didn't get captured on camera, like eel and this very quick blue "butterfly-like" fish, and a black and white spotty-spikey one (not Lionfish). We saw these too (not my photograph) :

1426979692_2c6bbaa8c5.jpg

They were REALLY neat and weird. Anyone know what they are?

Edited by Sharyn