Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

09 MGM Ironman

Are you rested up from last year!?!?! I hope so, because it is time to start thinking about the 09 MGM Ironman!! Below you will find all of the details on my "cut and paste" entry form, which will also be on our new website shortly. We are also going to try and do some self squading this year via our website. That is still in the works, so please let me know who you want to be squadded with just in case it goes haywire. If you didn't already get this in an e mail, and would like to be on the mailing list, send me an e mail ( travis@mgmtargets.com ) and I'll get you added. Let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing you all again!!

The '09 MGM IRONMAN 3-GUN!

Parma, ID the 2nd Weekend of June (11th-13th)

11 Killer Stages, 1,000+ Rounds, Shoot ALL 3 GUNS on every stage,

A FULL AUTO stage, the "Tower", the "Foo Dog Zipline", the "Sullivan Slide" (with some slight modifications), and SHOTS TO 650 yds, and more!

"THIS MATCH WILL BEAT YOU LIKE A RENTED MULE!!!"

Registration will be on Wed. night (the 10th) from 6:00pm to 9:00pm ONLY!! IF YOU MISS REGISTRATION, THERE WILL BE A $20 FEE, AND YOU WON'T SHOOT UNTIL YOU REGISTER!!!

Main match will be shot on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (yes, you'll need to be here ALL 3 days). Awards Saturday afternoon.

125 SHOOTERS ONLY!

The '08 round count was about 1,000 rounds, with shots to 650 yards, and it will be similar this year, so bring your sniper rifle – any caliber, any scope, anything it takes to make the shots. The 4th gun will have no bearing on your classification. We start one stage FULL AUTO with a 9 mm Sub-machine gun and a .45 carbine so we continue to have the only 6 gun match in the country! ATK (Speer, CCI) donated all the bullets for the sub-guns. Thank YOU!

PLEASE mail this sheet and $250 WHICH INCLUDES LUNCH!!!

ENTRIES sent after April 1, add $50. No refunds after 5/1.

Please mail to MGM 3-Gun, 17891 Karcher Rd. Caldwell, ID 83607 or Fax to 208-454-0666

Questions? Email Travis at Travis@mgmtargets.com also available by phone at 208-454-0555

Name_________________________Phone_______________________________

Address___________________________________________________________

City/State/Zip______________________________________________________

Email__________________________USPSA#____________Class_____________

Trophies and prizes will be awarded in each class. See next page for detailed class descriptions.

Circle ONE: Open Limited Scoped Tactical (one open gun) Trooper DPMS/Leupold Heavy Rifle

Circle all that apply: Lady Law Enforcement Junior Senior (>60) 1st Timer (first 3-gun ever not just MGM)

T-Shirt size (Circle One) Small Medium Large XL XXL XXXL

One free t-shirt with entry fee, extra shirts can be ordered at $20 each

Match Fees add $50 if after 4/1 $250.00 _______________

Junior's (16 and under) half price $125.00 Additional Shirts $20.00 each _______________

Total Enclosed _______________

Please include Squad Requests on back of sheet.

Class Info

Open – Anything goes!

Limited – No optics, speed loaders, or bipods. All guns will follow the USPSA specifications for limited class.

Tactical (formerly Scoped Tactical) - Allows one of the 3 guns to be an Open class gun, with no limitations. Two other guns must conform to "Limited" rules.

Trooper – Anything goes, but you have to carry everything on your person! Cavalry Arms sponsors this class and they usually put extra goodies on the table for Troopers! Springfield also donated an M1A rifle to the winner of this class last year. Keep your eyes out for more updates!

DPMS/Leupold Heavy Rifle – This is a new class sponsored by DPMS and Leupold! Basically the same as Tactical, the only difference is the shooter must use a .30 caliber rifle for the entire match. This class allows for 1 open gun and 2 limited guns. Handguns/shotguns can be any caliber.

Edited by tgibson

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhhhhhh............this doesn't sound like the best competition for my first 3Gun Match. :unsure:

I guess it's kind of like running a 10K before you go to Hawaii to complete in the Ironman Triathalon, hence the the name of this match. Makes perfect sense. Maybe after 5 years of training I'll be ready for this one.

Uhhhhhhh............this doesn't sound like the best competition for my first 3Gun Match. :unsure:

I guess it's kind of like running a 10K before you go to Hawaii to complete in the Ironman Triathalon, hence the the name of this match. Makes perfect sense. Maybe after 5 years of training I'll be ready for this one.

Ha!!!

If this is your first, it will spoil you for EVERY 3 gun match you EVER shoot in the future.

Several folks have shot it, being their first. Buy the Burkett DVD's and watch he hell out of them. Especially, DVD Vol 4, 6 and 8.

The past few years we've had some total n00bs with us in Trooper Class...they survived and had fun. The bad thing was it spoiled them for other matches, "there isn't enough shooting!"

I just saw some MGM Ironman 3 Gun footage from Mat Burkett's AR-15 video (I think this was 2004). This match looks like something I must shoot at some point in my life. Maybe when my kids are older, I can make it annually!

Ha!!!

If this is your first, it will spoil you for EVERY 3 gun match you EVER shoot in the future.

Several folks have shot it, being their first. Buy the Burkett DVD's and watch he hell out of them. Especially, DVD Vol 4, 6 and 8.

This was the only 3 gun I shot for the first two years I was shooting. I couldn't believe how LOW the round count was at all the rest of the matches :blink:

SMM was the first non-Ironman match I shot. We shot with the RO's that year and we were done by 4:00. I couldn't believe I drove for 18 hours to shoot 300 rounds!! I shot that many rounds on the first two stages at the Ironman!! :lol: All good fun in their own way!

Adios,

TG

I don't think physical training helped me. Running up and down the bunker stage (11) for those days as an RO truely beat me like a rented mule! This doesn't even include shooting all the other stages. Funny thing is...I liked it! Made some good friends and generally had an awesome time! Memories were made.

The next weekend was a standard USPSA 3-gun match in Missoula and was quite anti-climatic. I hope their 3-gun is before the MGM this time.

Just a thought:

The week prior to the Iron-Man is the 2nd Annual Washington State Steel Challenge in Ephrata WA. on the 6th of June (Saturday). About 3 hour drive from "SEA-TAC" Airport.

4 days later is the sign-in for the Iron-Man in Parma ID. Parma is about 45 mins from Bosie ID or 5:40 from Ephrata, WA.

The very next weekend is the Area 1 Pistol Championships at the same Parma Range! I for one will be at all 3 and RO at least two of them to help pay for my habit! Nothing a truckload of ammo won't take care of!

OH, I almost fogot to mention the Johnson 3 Gun is the very next weekend in CO. May as well keep going:-)

So far I only have one other shooter (idiot/insane preson) to travel with me. Come join the carivan!

RLTW,

Road Warrior

AKA Busyhawk

Just a thought:

The week prior to the Iron-Man is the 2nd Annual Washington State Steel Challenge in Ephrata WA. on the 6th of June (Saturday). About 3 hour drive from "SEA-TAC" Airport.

4 days later is the sign-in for the Iron-Man in Parma ID. Parma is about 45 mins from Bosie ID or 5:40 from Ephrata, WA.

The very next weekend is the Area 1 Pistol Championships at the same Parma Range! I for one will be at all 3 and RO at least two of them to help pay for my habit! Nothing a truckload of ammo won't take care of!

OH, I almost fogot to mention the Johnson 3 Gun is the very next weekend in CO. May as well keep going:-)

So far I only have one other shooter (idiot/insane preson) to travel with me. Come join the carivan!

RLTW,

Road Warrior

AKA Busyhawk

THAT sounds like a fun couple of weeks! I am really bummed I won't be able to be at the SC in Ephreta. I tried to get Pat to change it but he said no. Oh well. Busyhawk, do you mind if I cross post your post to the A1 announcment thread?

Adios,

TG

• 4 weeks later...

I need to save up ammo. How much...

Shotgun Shells - Shot, Buckshot and slugs.

Rifle Ammo - Close range and long range.

Pistol Ammo.

... do I need to bring.

Also is there a good reliable place to buy shotgun shells? Like maybe Wal Marts in the area? We will be driving and potentially four guys worth of shotgun shells would be really heavy.

Which hotel/motel would you guys recommend in Ontario?

For Tactical, which gun do you guys think should be Open?

How much shotgun shells should I be carrying on a stage? In other words I want to know how many shell carriers I should have.

Thanks.

Edited by Religious Shooter

RS,

Lots of questions and here are some answers.

I believe Travis Gibson will be posting the ammo requirements soon for the upcoming Iron Man. But a ballpark figure is:

223 close 400

223 long 250

SG slug 100

SG buck 75

SG shot 250

Pistol 500

Are you flying or driving? Just want to guage why you want to buy SG ammo instead of bringing. There is a Walmart and Kmart but this is the Iron-Man and sometimes ammo is hard to find.

I am trying to get a local manufacture/remanufacture of 223, 9, 40 and 45 to make avalible reloaded and new ammo for/at the match. The SG and 308 will still be on your own but I have talked/E-Mailed Travis Gibson and he likes the idea. They want to make the match as easy as possible for the shooters to obtain ammo at the match if possible. More to follow.

For Tactical Class most shooters choose the rifle as the open gun...long rifle shots (out to 630 yards if you didn't bring a long range rifle) out to about 400 yards.

SG shell holders: At least one stage last year was about 42 rounds (if you don't miss) of SG but you started with a loaded SG...I had 24 on the belt and another 18 on the drop leg T belt.

As for the other questions I will leave that to someone else...I don't want to give my secrets away. That and I am one of the many ROs that want my piece and quite so stay at the range sometimes and not the hotels in the area but hotels are very friendly to shooters and will make special arragnements for early breakfast before you head to the range.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Are you flying or driving? Just want to guage why you want to buy SG ammo instead of bringing. There is a Walmart and Kmart but this is the Iron-Man and sometimes ammo is hard to find.

We will be driving. Likely four guys. From what you listed it looks like (100+75+250=425 x 4 / 16 => 106.25 lbs) 115+ lbs worth of shotgun ammo (slugs, bird & buckshot). I guess its not too bad. But if you take into account two hefty guys and two not so hefty guys with the other ammo and equipment the load can get pretty heavy.

I am trying to get a local manufacture/remanufacture of 223, 9, 40 and 45 to make avalible reloaded and new ammo for/at the match. The SG and 308 will still be on your own but I have talked/E-Mailed Travis Gibson and he likes the idea. They want to make the match as easy as possible for the shooters to obtain ammo at the match if possible. More to follow.

That sounds cool. I think two people in the car would be using standard 9MM.

USPSA uses Precision Delta for their match ammo program. You might want to contact them if your local source doesn't pan out.

I don't think physical training helped me. Running up and down the bunker stage (11) for those days as an RO truely beat me like a rented mule! This doesn't even include shooting all the other stages. Funny thing is...I liked it! Made some good friends and generally had an awesome time! Memories were made.

The next weekend was a standard USPSA 3-gun match in Missoula and was quite anti-climatic. I hope their 3-gun is before the MGM this time.

rick, mso is having 3 MG match in 09, 5/24, 6/28 and 8/30. all MG 5 stages each match, should be alot of fun, hope to see you there.

don

Also is there a good reliable place to buy shotgun shells? Like maybe Wal Marts in the area?

There's a WalMart there. We've always gotten shotshells there.. Slugs and Buck, I'd bring with you.

Also, you can stage ammo anywhere you want.. and people can bring you ammo if you run out.. it's not as complicated as it sounds either. Figure about 100 rounds per stage, usually it's divided pretty equally.. so 32-36 shells should be about it.. (most of the time)

Cool.

Hey... Chris PM'd me saying that in Idaho I have to use potatoes to pay for stuff. How many bags do you guys usually bring?

Bring..??????

You'll be in Idaho man......Kick the dirt a bit and you'll probably uncover a few....!!!!!!

Edited by D.carden

Somebody really ought to go talk to the Walmart sporting goods manager. Show him some footage, show him a list of shooters, poll this thread and give him an estimate on the SG stuff, likely 9mm/.40/.45 too ... and some "blaster" grade .223.

Sometimes you find WM managers with sense. Often times you don't.

Just got some pictures from the 2008 Ironman from George and Stephanie at GS Arms (ARlowers.com). It breaks my heart that I can't make it to Ironman this year, the wife says if I miss my daughter's HS Graduation on 6/13 I'm a dead man. For those 3 gunners that have not shot Ironman, you really need to give it a try. Here I am before the start of Scott's stage, #5?.

post-8887-1230132977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doug H.

Here I am about 5 minutes later, finishing the stage, notice I'm out of shotgun shells, had 40 to start, lost my hat and ears, lucky I still had plugs in.

post-8887-1230133275_thumb.jpg

Like I said, lots of fun, tons of shooting and great staff. I'll be there in 2010! :cheers:

Doug