Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone making ambi shielded safeties other than Swenson?

Matt Griffin

I desperately need a new safety on my SS, the current one is flopping around and the right side (lefty) is about 2mm wide. I would like a wide safety on both sides with a shield, as I will likely ride the safety, and searching indicates the Swenson isn't up to the task.

H.

I touch my Swensons all the time and I love them :goof:

Really if you want a shielded safety and not a separate slide shield Swensons are currently the only choice. Swallow your pride and drop the money for the nasty looking things and then pay a good smith to shape, mold and fit them. Really they come out looking quite nice and have no reliability issues I've found. The good smith part is KEY in making them work and last.

I don't care how they look, this is a competition gun. However a few other threads suggested they are made of inferior material and can break. I'm pretty hard on my guns, so I wouldn't want something that could go south during a match. If that's not the case, then I can go with the Swenson.

H.

I forgot to specify: I also need it on both sides, I'm a lefty.

H.

Lefty... count on breaking safeties.

Flyin40 (lefty) was going through safeties every few months. Now, he is running SV (billet instead of cast or MIM) safeties. Seems to be having much better luck.

Where is shred? He is a lefty too. I recall him mentioning that the Swenson patent was running out and he seemed to think that when that happened...we'd see a new safety out of one of "our people".

If SV would make a billet version with the thumb shields...

Then again, y'all could just keep your thumbs off the slide. :P:D

Would be even more perfect if the shield surfaces were only half the height of the swensons so that you could still rack the slide from the rear serrations.

Would be even more perfect if the shield surfaces were only half the height of the swensons so that you could still rack the slide from the rear serrations.

I'm a Southpaw too, and that's one reason I went with the Swensons, plus as Flex mentioned, my thumbs tend to ride the slide. You can see in the picture I posted above in my earlier post that my gunsmith cut them down, tweaked them, and made them pretty for me. Get a set, find a gunsmith who can do what you need, and go to town.

-Mike

I'm a Southpaw too, and that's one reason I went with the Swensons, plus as Flex mentioned, my thumbs tend to ride the slide. You can see in the picture I posted above in my earlier post that my gunsmith cut them down, tweaked them, and made them pretty for me. Get a set, find a gunsmith who can do what you need, and go to town.

-Mike

Dan Bedell did a great job on mine. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend his work to anyone.

Or you could just cut them down?

The shields I mean... :ph34r:

If you're a lefty I'd recommend getting the SV's with a shield welded on.

I forgot to specify: I also need it on both sides, I'm a lefty.

H.

Lefty... count on breaking safeties.

Flyin40 (lefty) was going through safeties every few months. Now, he is running SV (billet instead of cast or MIM) safeties. Seems to be having much better luck.

Where is shred? He is a lefty too. I recall him mentioning that the Swenson patent was running out and he seemed to think that when that happened...we'd see a new safety out of one of "our people".

I had pretty good intel somebody was setting up to make Swenson clones, but they must have found something better to do.

I used to break them occasionally, but got some fit so they stop differently and that's fixed it. I just suffer with keeping my thumb off the slide. ;)