Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of scope do you use?

Chris Conley

Just wondering what is the latest craze right now. What do you shoot and why.

Thanks,

Chris C.

I thought you had and liked the new Burris scope. I have 1 rifle with the Leupold 1.5-5 which I really like, 1 rifle with the Meostar 1-4 which I am still getting used to, and 1 rifle with the Burris. Of the 3 I think I still like the Leupold that best so far.

I just finished my builds, They are built from all JP stuff and one has an Aimpoint for the close stuff and one has a IOR Valdada 1.1-4 for most 3-gun matches and the 20" has the IOR Valdada 1.5-8 for the longer matches like Rocky Mountain. I like those scopes because of the reticle...horseshoe and BDC for 300-600. There are scopes that have bigger field of views and a little better clarity but I think they are awesome. The Swarovski & Meopta I had got traded mainly due to the reticle.

I am running a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 with illuminated Mil Dot Reticle. I really like this scope a lot, sure there are some scopes out there that have better glass and are a true 1X. However, Leupold is very generous to LEO's (which I am) and military folks. I think for the money you cannot go wrong with these scopes. Their quality and customer service is TOP OF THE LINE!!!!

I only shoot one big 3G a year (Ft Benning) and a lot of local Outlaw 3G's with a few rifle matches thrown in there. I dont need any more magnification than the 5x.

A good friend of mine has the IOR-1.5-8. That is amazing stuff but way the hell out of my price range!!!

Thanks,

Chris C.

I thought you had and liked the new Burris scope. I have 1 rifle with the Leupold 1.5-5 which I really like, 1 rifle with the Meostar 1-4 which I am still getting used to, and 1 rifle with the Burris. Of the 3 I think I still like the Leupold that best so far.

Oh I still like the Burris no doubt about that. I have more AR's so I need more glass. :D

Chris C.

I've been using a Trijicon ACOG TA-11 since 2000 and am very happy with it. The eye relief is very good for me and I am able to use the reticle effectively. I added a Progressive Machine front lense cover, which makes the scope that much better to use on close targets. Yes, the TA11 is expensive, but I got lucky, however, and found a used one on gunbroker.com for $500.

One more for the ACOG but I'm in the minority with a TA31RCO...

The clarity, BAC, BDC reticle, and just overall quality of the scope are second to none..

Once you learn how to use it there is no drawbacks with the fixed power. I have

not had to rezero it "ever". Once it goes on the rifle and I get a good zero it does not

move.. I always recheck my zero before a big match but it seems to be a waste of ammo ???

But its not for everyone...

I am running a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 with illuminated Mil Dot Reticle. I really like this scope a lot, sure there are some scopes out there that have better glass and are a true 1X. However, Leupold is very generous to LEO's (which I am) and military folks. I think for the money you cannot go wrong with these scopes. Their quality and customer service is TOP OF THE LINE!!!!

I only shoot one big 3G a year (Ft Benning) and a lot of local Outlaw 3G's with a few rifle matches thrown in there. I dont need any more magnification than the 5x.

A good friend of mine has the IOR-1.5-8. That is amazing stuff but way the hell out of my price range!!!

When you say that they are friendly to LEO's and military, who do you contact? Do you go directly through Leupold or through a retailer.

Top four at 2008 RM3G in Tac Scope:

1) Schmidt und Bender uberscope 1-4X with mils

2) Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T with circle dot reticle

3) Trij TR21 1.25-4X

4) Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T with duplex reticle

Clearly no one scope dominates

My main upper has a Meopta. I use it for regular matches that have targets 0-350 yards.

For matches that will have 350+ yard targets my current upper that is geared for that type of match has a Burris Fullfield II 2-7 with irons on the handguard. I'm waiting on an SN4 1.5-6 to replace the Burris. I feel I need a little more than 4X for the matches that this upper is geared for.

If I had to name the "dominant" scope in Tactical, I would say it's the Trijicon TR21.

Just switched over from a TA-11 ACOG to a TR-21 Accupoint.

The main reasons are:

Accupoint has an adjustable Ocular lens, ACOG does not (Important for me).

Accupoint is variable power, ACOG is not.

Accupoint is 4x at top end, ACOG is 3.5x.

On the downside:

Accupoint has narrower field of view, ACOG has LOTS.

Accupoint has no real BDC (4 MOA Triangle), ACOG has lots of BDC info.

Just switched over from a TA-11 ACOG to a TR-21 Accupoint.

The main reasons are:

Accupoint has an adjustable Ocular lens, ACOG does not (Important for me).

Accupoint is variable power, ACOG is not.

Accupoint is 4x at top end, ACOG is 3.5x.

On the downside:

Accupoint has narrower field of view, ACOG has LOTS.

Accupoint has no real BDC (4 MOA Triangle), ACOG has lots of BDC info.

good luck, chris...but use the knobs!!!

Chris come back!! The TA-11 loves you and you it! Get some glasses and the ACOG will be in focus for you. If I ever bother to shoot scopes it is an ACOG TA-11. COOOME BAAAACK!! KurtM

HA! We'll see how it goes. I'll do some testing with with the Accupoint before Ft. Benning. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to the ACOG or a Meopta (If they EVER send it to me!).

I'm in a pickle. Went to the range a couple of days ago and played with my TA01NSN, the TA-11 and the Accu-point. I love the FOV on the ACOG's, and while in Open, the fixed power isn't a big deal, the TA-11, is much easier than the TA01 (I don't do the OEG thing).

I'm playing with all three. Part of me wants to dust off my Sightron 2.5-7x that I rocked at the '04 SMM3G (last BIG 3-Gun match before the Army got in the way).

We'll see.

Rich

Using a Meopta on my current TO rifle, but I'm still trying to figure out what to put on my new JP, since I wanted a little more power on this one.

Currently looking at:

Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T -$800

IOR Valdada 1.5-8x26 CQB - $1400

Swarovski 1-6 Z6i - $1900

Can't really decide if losing the true 1x and the good illumination is worth the extra +1x I'd get with the Leupold (over a Meopta).

The next step up seems to be either the IOR or the Swarovski, but at this point it starts to get pretty expensive. Otoh, compared to all other costs to shoot and attend matches, maybe I should just suck it up...