Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 40 Cal Gun Is Softest Shooter

lucas

I shoot a 6" STI in .40, and it feels like a 9mm to me. I shoot a 5" Para in .40, and it pops a little more. I think Glocks magnify felt recoil because they are top heavy which gives more leverage to the line of force with respect to your wrist. They're also ugly, but that doesn't usually affect recoil.

I shoot a 6"  STI in .40, and it feels like a 9mm to me.  I shoot a 5" Para in .40, and it pops a little more.  I think Glocks magnify felt recoil because they are top heavy which gives more leverage to the line of force with respect to your wrist.  They're also ugly, but that doesn't usually affect recoil.

It only affects your recoil when you look at it. :lol:

Liota

Don't be talking ugly about Glocks. I have seen Glocks with over 500,000 rounds through them and still shooting. I wonder how many pieces a STI/SVI would be in after that many rounds?

On the contrary, try shooting some of the .40 loads using fast burning powders (like Clays) that many of us shoot through S_I's in a Glock and see how many rounds you get through it!

Bucky.

I've got both, a G35 and a 5" SV with long dust cover and bull barrel. I can't tell which one shoots softer with 200gr Major loads. The Glock has less muzzle flip, I believe that is due to the low bore axis. The SV is heavier, so that soaks up more recoil. Hard to tell.

Bucky, my G35 has only had Titegroup through it. I consider TG to be a fairly fast powder. Most of my shooting buds use TG rather than Clays for the .40. The Glocks that I have seen with the high round count have had a fast powder shot in them. The commercial reloader had used, until recently, a canister grade of powder that had a burn rate about the same as Titegroup.

Stand back all... [blowhard Knowitall Mode ON]

I think people get a bit too wrapped up on reducing recoil instead of proper sight return. Personally, I like to have some "snap" to it. It's not like we're shooting 454 Casull's and need to worry about tendonitis or anything. That said, I prefer my Glock to a slab-sided S_I for snappy sight return. I prefer an S_I for everthing else, including ease of getting a proper sight index.

The widebody 1911s are going to be softer, but depending on what you like, that's not always what your looking for. I went from a short dustcover to a long dustcover gun (Para to STI) and am now looking into a short dustcover STI due to transition speeds. I think Eric has the right idea, choose what you like, splits are probably gonna run about the same.

It aint just about the feel!

My "Soft" STI failed to run reliably for a year; not even through a local 4 sdtage club shoot.

My "Snappy" Glock 35 has run for 4800 rounds with ONE malfunction of any type, and that can be traced to weak mag springs.

Snappy every time is WAY BETTER than soft on occasion!

Add a brass magwell, tungsten guide rod, and 21 rounds and it is pretty soft too.

Tom

Bucky, my G35 has only had Titegroup through it. I consider TG to be a fairly fast powder. Most of my shooting buds use TG rather than Clays for the .40. The Glocks that I have seen with the high round count have had a fast powder shot in them. The commercial reloader had used, until recently, a canister grade of powder that had a burn rate about the same as Titegroup.

Joe,

It's not as fast as Clays, and not as high of pressure. My point was only that an S_I can most likely take more of a beating and higher pressure and abuse than a Glock. I certainly don't want to do a one versus the other, 'cause I love them both.

The Glock is awesome, and with "Proper" ammunition, will last forever. For those of you thinking about getting one, I certainly recommend the Model 35 over the Model 22. It seem doesn't seem like much on paper, but I've shot them side by side and the longer barrel and lighter slide is much nicer in my Opinion.

Fact is, I'd love to shoot a G35 in Limited but I just can do as well with it as my STI. I had all intentions of using one at the A8 but backed out at the last minute.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I don't get the "Tite Group" craze. I've tried it on several occasions in different .40s and I just think it's way too snappy. I like the plushness of Clays. But then recoil is a somewhat subjective issue.

-- Bucky.

Felt recoil is a funny. I think even if you had a machine to measure it, just the fact that people have different grips would change how a real person perceives it. Also there is the ammo and how the gun is set up.

If you’re REALLY concerned about felt recoil then try different grips until you find one that works for you. If you’re not using the modern isosceles grip/stance that just about everyone else is using, start there. Second you can reload your own ammo and work up a load that works for your gun. Lastly you can add weight like heavy mag wells and guide rods to the gun.

Newer (competitive) shooters generally concern themselves with felt recoil. When you become more proficient and work out issues with your grip and gun you learn that with practice any gun is manageable. That being said unless you have a hard time keeping your 1911/2011 running reliably, I'd stay with that. That way you won't have to relearn you index.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I don't get the "Tite Group" craze.

What I don't get is the "softest gun" craze (no offense to the topic starter...who is seeking knowledge).

I won't risk using a pressure sensative powder/load combo in any gun. Especially not for a bit of felt (read: perceived) benefit.

I agree with YAR...working on grip and stance are far more important than finding the softest gun/ammo combo.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Bucky, I have tried several other powders, not Clays, and could not tell that much difference in them. Recoil does not bother me. My G35 has a 13# recoil spring with a heavy guide rod. I tried to like a STI but just could not shoot it as fast as a Glock. The lower bore axis of a Glock seems to reduce the muzzle flip.

I changed to TG a couple of years ago. I use it for 9mm, .40 and .45ACP. I find it to be almost spotless in the 9mm and .40. Best thing is the price - $86 for 8 lbs. I actually did a test several months ago with a shooting bud. I loaded a couple of VV powders and TG. I asked my friend to determine which powder felt the softest. Neither he nor I could tell any difference in the powders.

I won't risk using a pressure sensative powder/load combo in any gun. Especially not for a bit of felt (read: perceived) benefit.

The difference (to me anyway) between Clays and any other powder I've tried (and there have been a LOT) is huge. All the others were very close, but Clays was worlds softer.

A local GM friend of mine was using N320. I let him try my loads and he switched immediately.

Bucky.