Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diminishing Match Performances

Paul Burtchell

This has really got me frustrated. I'm going in the wrong direction :wacko:

Last few matches in both USPSA and IDPA have been mediocre at best and I totally messed up an all classifier match yesterday.

My accuracy is not as good, more C's, but what is killing my match results is that I seem to have one "bad" shot per stage. Example: Yesterday on a stage I only was a couple of points down, but put one square in the middle of a "no shoot".

Another Example: Great stage, BUT had one Mike, only a couple of points down other than that. I seem to have one F.U.B.A.R.

per stage.

It feesl like I'm "Trying to go Fast" instead of just getting my hits. I feel like I'm rushing my sight alignment. If I take the time for the sight picture I know I need, I feel like time is flying by and that I'm taking forever to pull the trigger.

Any advice or drills to help getting rid of the need for speed mentality. I know better, but when the buzzer goes off it goes out the window. When I was less experienced I did not have this problem. Consequently, my match performances are getting worse not better. :angry2:

Edited by baerburtchell

It feesl like I'm "Trying to go Fast" instead of just getting my hits.

There you go. You found your current speed limit. Now bring the fundamentals up to that level by forcing the calling of every shot. By starting to call every shot again you'll see if you're too tense, milking the grip, etc. Once you figure out what needs to work better, then it'll be time to turn it up again.

I have observed this with myself over the last year... every month when the classifiers were tallied up, my avg. got lower and lower. whiskey tango foxtrot? I have had a lot of equipment issues over the last year, but the pistol from hell is gone, and I'm back to old reliable, my M&P. That's one less variable to factor in.

I decided to take 2 months away from shooting, and won't shoot again at a match for another 2 weeks. I will come in cold and clean, and see if I can find it in me to get it together and place where I'm capable of in our local matches. I was steadily rising the first couple of months of last year, then started a slow fade that has been going strong for a year. Steadily lower scores frustrate the beshizzle out of me. Time to relax, reflect, and act as I have learned.

Glad to see it's not just me on the decline and wrestling with the mental aspect of the game. Thanks for sharing...you asked a question that had been floating around in my mind as well.

It feesl like I'm "Trying to go Fast" instead of just getting my hits.

I just started competing this year and the RO who did my safety check at my first match cautioned me to concentrate on getting as many A's a possible and to avoid penalties at all costs. I took his advise for the first couple matches and my points were good but my times sucked.

So, I started to speed up - bad move. My times were better but I had more C's and D's and even some penalties. Overall scores went down. After two matches like that, the same RO said, "see, I told you to go slower and concentrate on the points".

Next match I did as he advised and my scores went back up. But I had already screwed up my initial classification since some of my worse scores were on the classifiers. :sick:

When will I learn to listen to good advise when it is given.

Been there, done that.

If I try I fail, if I do it works.

I found that to shoot my best I have to ignore outside influences (namely the timer) and just shoot to my pace and follow the dot wherever it goes. I shot a couple of good stages last Saturday at a local match just by doing my own thing, my way.

Practice without a timer (or if you do just use it for the start beep, don't worry about your splits or transitions). Shoot As as fast as you can while calling your shots. It's OK to shoot some Cs, but don't let yourself shoot Ds or misses. But be honest with yourself, you are going to shoot at a match like you shoot in practice. And when all else fails, go back to the fundamentals. When it's time to score and there is that "one bad shot", I guess you/me/we didn't call every shot then right? Get your attention to where it matters the most and the shooting will pick back up. If you do that I am sure you will shoot the ability you are capable of. If your not happy at that level, then you need to push your shooting in practice, not matches.

I have been as guilty of "trying to go fast" as much as anyone. :blush: What I have been finding that works best for me is improving my movement and speeding up the non-shooting tasks. Then take the time necessary to shoot each target. It is tough to break out of that "hoser" mentality. And I still have a few relapses. In practice, try working on shooting groups and long range El Presidente drills. And improve your mental rehearsal to include seeing perfect sight alignment and sight picture of each shot on the stage.

as the other have said...

let your sights dictate the speed, each one in the moment. see what is necessary. do not try to go fast, Shoot without expectaction.

see..that was easy :D

Edited by eerw

Perfect timing, this thread that is. I feel that I'm in the exact same situation. My performance has been dropping off pretty steadily. Either that or my expectations are rising faster than my skill.

Last IDPA I really tried to focus on just hits, not speed at all. What happened? The absolute worst performance I've ever had. I was so focused on everything but..see target...see sight...shoot... that I completely botched the match. My goal was zero points down for the match with down 5 still being acceptable. I was down 13 after the first stage.

I've upped my dry fire practice to...well doing it as opposed to not doing hardly anything. I've been getting worse since I started doing that. I don't know if it's pressure to continue to perform at my expected level or what.

When I don't care about the results I do better. When there is money on the line (prize table) I do much better. I shoot better amped up and when shooting club matches I don't get amped up anymore. IDPA is worse since I start my "amp up" doing air gun right before I shoot in IPSC and can't do that in IDPA.

Right now I'm working on the mental issues that have been dragging my scores down. OH state IDPA is next weekend and right now my mindset is to just go with the point of "burning it down". As fast as I can possibly go. Perhaps by letting go mentally I will just "do" instead of "thinking do".

Perfect timing, this thread that is. I feel that I'm in the exact same situation. My performance has been dropping off pretty steadily. Either that or my expectations are rising faster than my skill.

Expectations get in the way, gotta let those go. The only expectation I have is to call every shot.

...I was so focused on everything but..see target...see sight...shoot... that I completely botched the match.

So focused on everything else but not on the thing that matters the most.

I've upped my dry fire practice to...well doing it as opposed to not doing hardly anything. I've been getting worse since I started doing that. I don't know if it's pressure to continue to perform at my expected level or what.

You have to ask yourself where's your attention when your dry-drying? Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

When I don't care about the results I do better. When there is money on the line (prize table) I do much better. I shoot better amped up and when shooting club matches I don't get amped up anymore. IDPA is worse since I start my "amp up" doing air gun right before I shoot in IPSC and can't do that in IDPA.

You don't need to have your hands up to visualize a stage, look for other visual clues.

Right now I'm working on the mental issues that have been dragging my scores down.

Leave all the 'mental stuff' behind when it's time to shoot. You're the only one who can control what's going through your head. Decide what's most important and let go of all the rest of the crap you/we bring to the line.

When my accuracy goes down, I mix in some reactive target

drills - gives immediate feedback if I miss the target. Also,

set the targets out a little further than you'd expect to see

them in a match - try some at 25 - 30 yards.

That forces you to concentrate on the hits.

Depending on your cash flow, try scheduling a training class with Dave Re (Xre) and go over the areas you are having difficulties with...... he's close to you and I guarantee you'll improve.

-Mike

Too funny. Dave and I have have actually discussed just that, and I'm trying to schedule now. Great observations and suggestions everyone.

The one thing that seems to have decreased the most is my ability to align the sights quiclky. It now seems like it takes forever to align the sights after a shot. It use to seem like they just went right back into alignment. Maybe its percption and not reality as I've not actually timed my splits.

Edited by baerburtchell

Depending on your cash flow, try scheduling a training class with Dave Re (Xre) and go over the areas you are having difficulties with...... he's close to you and I guarantee you'll improve.

-Mike

Too funny. Dave and I have have actually discussed just that, and I'm trying to schedule now. Great observations and suggestions everyone.

The one thing that seems to have decreased the most is my ability to align the sights quiclky. It now seems like it takes forever to align the sights after a shot. It use to seem like they just went right back into alignment. Maybe its percption and not reality as I've not actually timed my splits.

Maybe you need to stick with the same gun. I can't imagine anyone changing guns very often. :)

-Mike

Maybe you need to stick with the same gun. I can't imagine anyone changing guns very often. :)

OUCH !!! :roflol: Boy, we've done our share lately. I'm done for awhile, how about you? Edited by baerburtchell

-Mike

OUCH !!! :roflol: Boy, we've done our share lately. I'm done for awhile, how about you?

I'm done after last night, back to where I started and plan to stay, Glock 34. I'm going to relax and have fun, what I started to do 2 years ago before I got this addictive hobby. It ain't the arrow, it's the indian.

both USPSA and IDPA have been mediocre at best

I was racing cars, golfing, shooting clays, pistol silhouette, .22 rimfire matches and practical pistol until about 3 years ago. Enjoyed it all a lot. But the common thread between them was my performance in each was well below average. Especially when compared to devoted participants in their specialties. USPSA had the strongest appeal to me and has been given all my sports focus and energy. I have been rewarded for the dedication with better performance and match results. baerburtchell this is just me. I just got tired of "mediocre" and specialized. So far so good.

Jim

Wow, I can relate to every post on this thread ! I have always been going too fast, good thing, and bad thing.

If I was in D class I would shoot a C class speed, C class a B class speed, etc.. I think everyone goes through

this if they want to do better, it's shooting !

What I've found through my own expiriences is that the speed and accuracy dont bump up at the same rate, all

mental. When I practice alot and get my good skills up from let's say level 5 to level 6, then I have really good

matches with a low error factor, speed is also at level 6 and all is in harmony. :unsure: Now the stupid brain

gets involved and says, "if we can get hits like that, let's go faster" so I bring the speed up to level 7 and the

Mikes are back. :angry2: Good thing is that I take that as my que for more practice to bring the skills up to 7 also.

Unfortunatley I've found out the hard way that the learning curve is not a straight line. Mental baggadge and overconfidence

at the line will humble you quickly. :blush: The thing is how your going to handle it, attack it !! :rolleyes:

-Mike

Hey Paul...

"It used to seem like they just went right back into alignment".

Now that is an interesting comment. This leads me to one of two thoughts:

1) Switching guns (a lot) has gotten your brain a little sideways vis-a-vis your natural point of aim and sight alignment.

2) Perhaps your grip is not optimal. It seems that a good grip is a must for the sight to return right back into alignment.

Sunday was tough, but I think you could be overthinking it some.

I had this happen several times playing golf. I would get to a point where my desire to improve would get me messing with too many things in my swing leaving me with crowded thoughts. It got to be a joke between me and my golfing buddies where we'd do crap like ask each other questions (right as they're about to hit their drive) like... "so do you inhale, exhale, or hold your breath on the backswing".

Too many swing thoughts leads to tension and bad golf. Your mind gets focused on individual mechanics and not on letting your body do what it already knows how to do. If I do have a swing thought typically I'll confine it to a single thought. If I take this idea and apply it to shooting a COF, I settle on just one important idea before I shoot. E.g. "Relax my shoulders", "Slow down on T4", "Get a good solid grip on the draw", etc. So... get a mental plan for the COF, if you have a specific thing you want to implement during the COF... confine it to a single idea, and after that just shoot the front sight as fast as you see it and let the body do what it already knows how to do.

You'll have your new production rig in a few days. Relax, quit trying to make the improvement happen, and let it come to you brotha! :cheers:

Mike

P.S. Like I know what the heck I'm talking about... lol! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I Shot the best match I have ever shot yesterday. I shot an IDPA match with 23 total competitors. I know we don't compete head to head, but I finished 3rd overall. I am classified as a Sharpshooter in SSP and I was beat by a Master and an Expert in CDP. So I feel really good about my performance and I wanted to thank everyone one the forum and especially my friend Mike Joy who has put up with my "whining" for the last few weeks.

I took in all the information ya'll gave me and put it to use. I absolutely did not TRY to do anything. I did not "TRY" to go fast or slow, I did not "TRY" to get all "Zeros's" I just shot.

Most of the match I felt like an observer, if that makes sense, while I was shooting. I do remember telling myself on one stage while I was making ready was "Hey this is suppose to be fun, have fun and enjoy the experience of shooting the stage."

I definitely made some minor mistakes, but I had a clean match. No misses, No hits on "No shoots", & No procedurals.

I won one stage and never finished lower than 5th on any of the six stages.

I needed this one, BAD.

Thanks again everyone. This forum rocks !!

Edited by baerburtchell

*trying* will kill ya. Really. Stop trying, watch the sights, and just shoot.

Fix the self image. Too much talk about "it's like me to shoot a good stage except for....." Let's say you threw a D or a mike on a 32 round field course. That means you still had 31 good to great shots. Why remind yourself about the one you shot that was bad?

*trying* will kill ya. Really. Stop trying, watch the sights, and just shoot.

Fix the self image. Too much talk about "it's like me to shoot a good stage except for....." Let's say you threw a D or a mike on a 32 round field course. That means you still had 31 good to great shots. Why remind yourself about the one you shot that was bad?

Thanks Derrick, thats a good way to look at it.

I definitely had been shooting the last few matches with expectations. Amazing how much of this game is mental.