Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heat factor!?

BIGPBPLAYER

I shot at Area 3 this year and the heat was so bad I could not think strait. The index was 106 on the last day. I just plain lost all consentration and missed a plain as day large steel on one stage. I look back and notice now where I went wrong.

Has any one else had this problem? What can I do to combat this next year?

VA/MD sectionals were just as bad. First 4 stages were ok, but after that the heat and humidity took its toll on the squad. 2 of the shooters just up and quit. I was drinking at least 1-1.5 quarts of water /stage and still couldnt keep hydrated. The last 2 stages I shot my concentration was so bad that I was making mental mistakes that I just dont normally make. I saw others doing the same. When it was over we were all just relieved and went to the top of the hill and ran cool water over us and changed int dry clothes and left. It took me another day or 2 to recover from the heat. Definetely was a match were physical and mental conditioning were at a premium.

I have problems w/ the heat, as does my dad...

things that have helped me....

drink water. from the time you get in the car to drive to the range (ok, I cheat and maybe have a cup of coffee first which is bad). But if I know it's going to be hell, I want a head start on the hydration. I pack a cooler to keep water COLD. It tastes better and helps cool you down. Keep drinking, if you wait until you are thirsty it's too late.

be careful of too much water. people have died from sweating out all their minerals. My wife who is an RN makes me put a pinch of salt in for about every liter of water. You can NOT taste it but it's better for you. The last couple years I've had a bottle of propel or similar sport drink for every bottle of water.

Shade... people in the va/md section may not recognize me, but they'll recognize my cart... and the 7' beach umbrella hooked to it. Lots of ribbing for it at 9am, but I find many of those same people standing under it at 3pm. And due to a recent bout w/ skin cancer I've started wearing a boony-style hat to keep the sun off better. I've been impressed with how much it helps with the heat as an added bonus.

cold wet towel on your head/neck...

cools that blood as it goes to your brain. If I feel a headache coming on or like you said where you can't think straight, this usually helps.

rvb

Edited by rvb

I can't deal with exteme heat very well but it's the humidity that really kills me. My problem is I sweat like mad.. making holding/gripping my gun well very difficult... but what's most annoying is when sweat from my brows gets my glasses all wet/foggy.

I know these look GAY but they saved me at A3!!!! I had 2 of them, one in the cooler at all times every stage I switched them out. Just a lilttle water in the bottom of the cooler was enough to submerg it and keep it ICE cold! I recomend them!

Well worth the price and reuseable! Just let them sit out on the counter for a week and they shrink back down to nothing again! I would like to see vendors have these at matches in hot weather. A $$$$ maker for shure.

Easy to make at home too! Just buy one and have thew wife copy the dimentions, Hobby Lobby has the gel rocks cheep!

http://www.painreliever.com/polarproducts_EvaNeckBand.html

Edited by BIGPBPLAYER

I shot at Area 3 this year and the heat was so bad I could not think strait. The index was 106 on the last day. I just plain lost all consentration and missed a plain as day large steel on one stage. I look back and notice now where I went wrong.

Has any one else had this problem? What can I do to combat this next year?

It was 104 in the shade Sunday at Stage 4.

Stage 10 was our last stage about 5:00 and all I wanted to do was get home so I could be refreshed enough to work the next 3 days. I took 100 penalty points on stage 10 because I simply had "Had Enough".

Physical conditioning is why I failed.

Hey! It's Nebraska; you may need a coat next year! :roflol:

FM

I was gonna say do a search on VA?MD sectional. But seams people beat me to it. By stage three my vision was bluring I started pounding water and stopped drinking from little cups and using my canteen so I could tell I was getting enough. I was urinating every stage so I was hydrated but probably was near heat stroke around stage 5 as I started feeling like it had cooled off. The last stage I just slow motion walked through because I didnt trust myself to safely shoot the stage at anything faster than a crawl.

VA/MD Sectionals was the worst temp I've ever competed in. 10x's worse than the last time I went racing in Phoenix at 110* outside. It was extremely hot and humid and I, for one, didn't manage myself well. Certainly hydration is critical, but I didn't eat either and wound up with fairly nasty heat exhaustion.

I'm outside a lot and in the heat a lot and just managed myself wrong.

I take the heat fine, but the humidity beats me with a large stick, I sweat VERY hard in high heat and with high humidity it just doesn't help.

Hydration starts several days before, if you want it to be effective. At a minimum you need to be pounding fluids 24 hours prior. The Pro-Am this year was really hot too, around 100* with humidity and intense sun. I drank 3 gallons of water and low calorie electrolyte drinks and held up fine. Eating little bits almost constantly helps too, half a cliff bar per stage, a handful of nuts or trail mix, etc. Technical fabric clothing is another must in high heat, it helps a lot more than you would think.

Lots of people wouldn't even consider shooting a match at -10* without being prepared, having the right clothing, having the right foods, having a real plan on how to deal with the conditions. Shooting a match with a heat index of 110* is really no different, just the opposite end of the spectrum, yet the heat isn't taken anywhere near as seriously as the cold.

I take the heat fine, but the humidity beats me with a large stick, I sweat VERY hard in high heat and with high humidity it just doesn't help.

Hydration starts several days before, if you want it to be effective. At a minimum you need to be pounding fluids 24 hours prior. The Pro-Am this year was really hot too, around 100* with humidity and intense sun. I drank 3 gallons of water and low calorie electrolyte drinks and held up fine. Eating little bits almost constantly helps too, half a cliff bar per stage, a handful of nuts or trail mix, etc. Technical fabric clothing is another must in high heat, it helps a lot more than you would think.

Lots of people wouldn't even consider shooting a match at -10* without being prepared, having the right clothing, having the right foods, having a real plan on how to deal with the conditions. Shooting a match with a heat index of 110* is really no different, just the opposite end of the spectrum, yet the heat isn't taken anywhere near as seriously as the cold.

Some of us are smart enough not to shoot when it is -10 outside. The problem is we werent smart enough to stay home when it was 100+. Although paying a major match fee and hotel rooms may have contributed to it. In my case it was not just that day, If I had only shot the VA/MD sectional, I would have probably faired ok, but the day before was my clubs local match which was a 7 stage event and we were out in it from 8am to 6pm, plus 4 hrs of setup the previous day. I drank plenty of fluids all 3 days but after awhile it just saps your energy. Even at the VA/MD sectional everything was fine until theyhad a prop break at our 5th stage, and it took over 30 minutes to fix and we were left there standing and waiting and it just drained us. I noticed a significant drop off in just about everyones performance after that prop failure.

Howard,

I agree with you to a point. Cold is MUCH easier to manage (if prepared) than hot. You can always add or subtract layers as necessary and performance clothes really do help to keep you dry and warm.

The problem iwth the heat, is that us fat bastards simply can't remove the gut to cool down any more. So.... ultimately, you're right. If we acted like an athlete and took care of our bodies like one, then we would have a lot less problem in the heat.

True Seth, I could stand to lose quite a few pounds myself, but you understood my point is that success in very high heat is proportional to the preparations made just like it would if it were extremely cold.

I like heat way better than cold.

I think if you can't manage it and you are "out of it" then go home. Being tired or shooting poorly is not "out of it" Its just I feel heat/cold is part of the game so just like you load your match ammo carefully, dry fire you need to prepare for the heat/cold.

What are we going to do? set up air conditioned tents? Allow people to sit in the tent to be shuttled to the stages? Not picking on heavy people cause skinny people can have problems also. I just know there is a line and it shouldn't be crossed. I shoot the same course of fire in the weather as everybody else does and I expect no allowances. That's the line. If I can't keep my wits about me because of the weather, continue to paste, set steel, etc then I should not be allowed to shoot.

Its an outdoor sport and sometimes its hot or cold. If you are having problems handling the heat then I venture to say you there becomes a point where possibly should not be running around with a loaded gun. I appreciate that people have a strong will to not quit, I myself messed up one time and stayed in a match I shouldn't have.

Show up, shoot, work and let the best shooter win.

PS No personal attack to posters just a rant.

Bill,

You are right. That was exactly my point. Its our responsibility to not be running around with a loaded gun while our judgement is impaired in any way.

I joke about being a fat guy, but really I'm suffer from the same thing many of us do... not being physically where we were 10 years ago. I still work out every day and no matter what I do, it gets harder and harder each year to stay trim. Fit isn't really an issue, its being lean. I need to watch everything now, where before there was a metabolism factor that made everything alright.

Workout in the heat to get your body used to functioning in it. Hydrate. Not just the day of the match but the days and weeks up to the match - I learned this from someone who runs marathons. I like sports drinks because they replace the electrolytes your body needs.

At Area1 it was pretty hot and effecting everyone - some more than others. Some of my squad decided they didn't need to tape anymore. I was just out there taping and having a good old time. :D

~Mitch

In this part of Florida, the heat and humidity are a significant factor more than half the year. I use the following to help:

1. Hydrate beginning the evening before the match with water or water based drinks such as Crystal Lite.

2. Get plenty of sleep the night before the match.

3. Begin drinking again as soon as I get up and have shaved and brushed my teeth. I usually have a diet coke to get some caffeine in me and start my heart pumping. After that I only drink ice cold Gatorade or equal. I notice a significant difference in how I feel when drinking only cold water on a hot, humid day. YMMV.

4. I eat lightly while at the match. Some peanuts work well for me. If it is a major match, I try to get a salad. Anything but greasy foods!

5. I haul my gear with a wagon. The less needless physical exertion the better.

6. I have an beach umbrella attached to the wagon to provide shade and use it.

7. I have a chair and sit in it as often as I can between paster runs and my turn to shoot. Even a minute or two out of the sun and off your feet helps.

8. I dip a towel into the cold water in the cooler and then put it around the back of my neck.

9. If there is a long break, head for the car and turn on the air conditioning if possible to lower your body's internal temperature.

10. I practice all the time in the same weather so my body has become somewhat acclimated to it.

11. Dress smart - I wear moisture wicking clothes. This includes a white shirt, khaki shorts, sport socks and even underwear. A hat is a necessity.

12. I dropped 25 pounds a few years ago. Keeping excess weight off is one of the critical success factors in beating the heat especially after age 55.

Edited by XD Niner

Hydration.....if you wait until you're thirsty to start drinking you're already on your way to dehydration.

A good guage for you is do you feel as if you could urinate?

If not then you're not drinking enough water.

Water is the best source for rehydration not sports drinks.

Sports drinks for the most part contain a lot of sugar in some form and some even contain caffine.

Unless you're exerting yourself physically to the point of a marathon run you don't need a gatorade or powerade type drink.

You won't lose electrolytes by walking from stage to stage.

Eat lunch out of a cooler and have fruit and a light lunch so your digestion will not be overwhelmed by water demands.

1 sandwich, piece of fruit, drink (water) stay away from caffinated drinks like colas, and something sweet (very small portion) will be more than enough on really hot days.

Lots of water and have it in a cooler if at all possible.

We absorb water more effectively if it is cold.

JK

Another thing to consider is medication. You really need to know how your body reacts to the heat on certain meds. Don't ask your doctor they don't really know, talk to your pharmacist. They know far more about meds and side effects than your doctor will.

• 3 weeks later...
Hydration.....if you wait until you're thirsty to start drinking you're already on your way to dehydration.

A good guage for you is do you feel as if you could urinate?

If not then you're not drinking enough water.

Water is the best source for rehydration not sports drinks.

Sports drinks for the most part contain a lot of sugar in some form and some even contain caffine.

Unless you're exerting yourself physically to the point of a marathon run you don't need a gatorade or powerade type drink.

You won't lose electrolytes by walking from stage to stage.

Eat lunch out of a cooler and have fruit and a light lunch so your digestion will not be overwhelmed by water demands.

1 sandwich, piece of fruit, drink (water) stay away from caffinated drinks like colas, and something sweet (very small portion) will be more than enough on really hot days.

Lots of water and have it in a cooler if at all possible.

We absorb water more effectively if it is cold.

JK

+1

I am use to heat and prefer to shoot when it's hot instead of cold :)

If you drink alcoholic beverages, alcohol (like caffeine) is a diuretic (takes water out of your body) and over time you will dehydrate yourself. You won't feel it especially if you work/live in a climate controlled (a/c) environment.

Also, most shooter wear some type of ball cap and that aids in keeping heat in the body.

Cold towel around the neck makes you feel better but shade and hydration is best.

B)

By now, you've probably read Jerry (The Geek) Burnett's article in Front Sight about the Area 1 match this year.

Here in the Pacific Northwest we are not accustomed to high temperatures and the heat took its toll as Jerry described.

I was CRO on stage 8 so I had the advantage of parking my truck immediately behind the pit. I kept a wet towel over my head on Saturday and after every shooter, re-soaked it in the cold water of my ice chest.