Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unload and Show Clear

badchad

Well, which method are we going to use? I want to be cool, so I'll check this thread in a couple of days. (insert popcorn smiley here)

I use the ultra-deadly flip round into air and catch in hand method. rolleyes.gif

Thanks, that was hilarious!

As a side note, while I know that "ejector caused detonations" have happened, in my many years on the range the only rounds I've seen detonate were those that landed on the ground (or other hard object). I've been fragged by the latter twice...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tilt the pistol to the right a little and gently rack the slide so the round falls to the round. I put my right foot next to it so I can find it. I guess if the ground was rocky enough to worry about it I'd do something else.

I saw a guy shoot himself through the web of the hand while holding his weak hand over the ejection port. The primer hit the ejector. The bullet went completely through the web of his hand. He was very lucky it didn't go through the palm, where there are nerves and bones. It was at Red Castle Gun Club in Oklahoma during an IDPA match.

I don't consider a part of the shooting process in which I have seen someone shot to be minor or frivolous or not worth discussing.

Edited by another okie

• 2 months later...

I accomodate a local RO who demands we tilt our ports downward and eject gently and drop the round. Everyone I've shot with in the last 11 years of USPSA, IDPA, NRA Action, whatever has NEVER made this demand of the shooters. For every other RO, I eject rapidly with my left hand by the rear sight, port upwards, gun fully forward then catch the round-then ULSC/HD. Shooting is inherently a dangerous sport which is why we wear ear and eye protection so we make reasonable efforts to enhance safety. I have to believe that dropping a live round on the ground carries the potential of an AD as well so this was my compromise. I'd think the possiblity of an AD from a slow ejection would be higher given that gravity now comes into play. ? I've spoken to several well seasoned CROs and they don't prefer one or the other though they support an individual RO's choice of technique at any given stage...

After reading this thread, I filled the mag on my 9mm Trojan with dummy rounds with empty primer pockets and tried various methods of clearing the weapon. Of course, racking the slide back quickly and ejecting the round on the ground worked just fine.

I then tried racking the slide back slowly and the round would come loose and fall down the inside of the grip into my waiting hand. What got my attention using this method was the fact that the dummy round (empty primer pocket) would sometimes actually hang up with the ejector poked into the primer pocket. If it does this, it could sure dead center a live primer as well. Not good.

I think I'll just eject them to the ground. I need the exercise anyway. I just shoot plates so don't have a lot of stuff hanging on my belt.

WyoBob

I slowly eject onto the ground, and try to remember to roll the gun to the right as I do so, both for having the round fall out the ejection port (only successful 50% of the time) and for RO chamber inspection.

My main issue with the flip and catch is a possible sweep if the shooter doesn't have good muzzle awareness, so I generally discourage new shooters from doing it when they ask how to ULASC, but don't comment on it if anybody does it when I'm RO'ing (unless they sweep themselves...).

FWIW

I thought letting the slide slam shut on an empty chamber in a 1911/2011 style pistol was hard on the trigger job.

Am I missing something?

I pull back slow and let the round roll out. Show clear then let the slide forward slow hammer down holster.

Kind of like Phil did in the video on post#34.

BK

A well known USPSA/IDPA shooter in my area by the name of Bart.... damn near blew off his thumb because he racked the slide fast a couple times and the ejector became a firing pin detonating the .40 cal round that was trying to get out of his gun. His hand was over the ejection port at the time.

I suggest that any clearing of the gun that puts any part of the shooter over or in front of the ejection port is dangerous.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I'll admit in public to doing it the old fashioned way: I cup the weak hand over the ejection port, turn the gun clockwise 90 degrees, and slowly retract the slide, catching the live round in the weak hand. I was taught this technique when I first started practical pistol shooting back in the early 80's, and it has kind of stuck. I am aware of the risk of a detonation, but I am very careful to retract the slide SLOOOWWWWLLLLLYYYYYYY. Unless I encounter a tight round that requires a lot of force to extract it from the chamber, I don't see my technique as being likely to result in a detonation.

Now watch me blow my hand off at the next match I attend :surprise:

You only have two eyes. What guys do by risking a OOB detonation is put those two baby blues at risk. I know you have safety glasses on and you are betting your eye sight they completely protect your eyes from all angles and will stop that brass shard from penetrating your eye. Ummm sure hope the Chinese are on top of their game at the local lense factory on Monday morning. Your bet ...your eyes.

Take Care

Bob

To all who want to put the weak hand over the port as they are ejecting , please continue .

I've had 3, 40 cal rounds go off as I was ROing. The first was at an indoor range, unload and show clear, BOOM, near the wall on the ejector side and as the shooter racked the slide, not that hard, the round went off, crap from the case and the wall came back at me and the shooter . scary to say the least , no real damage . Thank you for eye protection.

The 2nd was again at Unload and show clear, angled 45 deg at the ground, a time to get new shorts only. Scary, but no damage .

The 3rd was a very considerate shooter who would rather absorb all of the pain and suffering by putting his weak hand over the ejection port as the round exploded, and protectd this RO. I understand the surgery to remove the fragements caused a great deal of pain. Do it any way you want .

But, I will not catch a round in the air or watch as the gun is cleared, I will verify that the gun is empty and safe.

I see no advantage to unnecessarly putting anyone at risk, even if it looks Cool.

I wonder if the safest way to unload an auto is to drop the magazine and fire the chambered round into the berm. I've been wondering this for quite awhile.

What do you guys think about this?

I was told by a very good(GM) shooter to do this method with rim fire cartridges as they could go off during the ejection process. .03 cents into the berm is safer then losing some blood.