Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New player on the Block

Dan Burwell

I at request of a few here are a couple quick pictures of my open M&P. It is still a work in progress as it needs the Jpoint melted into the slide and a slide racker put on, then the biggie it needs a comp actually made for a pistol (rather than an AR). Any way I shot my first match with it last weekend had a failure to extract on the first stage then ran flawlessly through the rest. I also had a little problem with some bullet strikes on the comp that I will take the blame for with the half-a$$ed comp I hurriedly rigged on.

OpenMP1.jpg

Pic 2

Pic 3

Here are a couple videos of it's first match:

Any way the mag well and the Jpoint mount, and 170 mag extension is thanks to Kenny at Speed shooters specialties. The barrel is storm lake and the comp is a DPMS Mickulek off my AR ( hey the thread pitch matched :wacko: ) all in all a fairly cheap way to get into Open. Hopefully in the future Kenny will also have some comps for us (Kenny nudge nudge) and then these will be a for real option.

170mm mags hold 29 re-loadable the 140mm Taylor freelance hold 23-24 so capacity will not be an issue.

I know I know it looks like a bad star wars movie prop, but it really does work.

ps if anyone can let me know what the world I am doing wrong with the postig the pics I will be glad to fix them it keeps saying somethng about dynamic something or other. edited to fix pic link

Edited by danial97

Sweet gun, good shooting too. The M&P could definitely be another way to get into Open division on the cheap :) I can already picture my M&P Pro wearing a comp and a red dot. I don't see the super huge mag extensions on the SSS website, how much did they cost ya, and what springs are you running in the mags now?

Sweet gun, good shooting too. The M&P could definitely be another way to get into Open division on the cheap :) I can already picture my M&P Pro wearing a comp and a red dot. I don't see the super huge mag extensions on the SSS website, how much did they cost ya, and what springs are you running in the mags now?

The mag well is on Kenny's sight it is his brass mag well. The springs are the extra power ones I got from Kenny, not sure who made them.

Looks like it has alot of muzzle flip too...

Thats what happens when you pt a comp on a pistol that has none zero nada single top port to keep the muzzle down, I am just surprised the comp does anything at all. But it makes the 174 power factor loads quite managable.

Ugly is probably being kind B)

The mag well is on Kenny's sight it is his brass mag well. The springs are the extra power ones I got from Kenny, not sure who made them.

Looks like it has alot of muzzle flip too...

Thats what happens when you pt a comp on a pistol that has none zero nada single top port to keep the muzzle down, I am just surprised the comp does anything at all. But it makes the 174 power factor loads quite managable.

Ugly is probably being kind B)

Get a real comp on that thing... I want to see what it looks like with some help.

Get a real comp on that thing... I want to see what it looks like with some help.

You and me both brother. I don't have the CNC equipment necessary to do one, and everyone I have talked to with the equipment is too busy to do them. Kenny is my best bet but his shop is pretty busy these days, so I am waiting patiently (ok maybe I am waiting impatiently, huh Kenny)

Apparently the thread pitch on the storm lake barrel while common for suppressors(and ARs) is not so common on pistol comps. The only other one I could find was the LWD and that think did pretty much nothing at all.

I was referring to the actual extended magazine baseplates. I currently have the brass magwell from SSS on my Pro, and I am running the TF basepads as well. The 170mm basepads you have are pretty cool, how much did those cost you?

As I said at Summer Blast, I want to know when you have a working, finished, model. Also I would like to see if the M&P9L could be done as soon as the barrels are available. Once you have a working model post it on here and I'll send you you 9L. I WANT ONE!

ps if anyone can let me know what the world I am doing wrong with the postig the pics I will be glad to fix them it keeps saying somethng about dynamic something or other.

Very cool, nice to see some innovation and more plastic open guns. What is the pitch thread? I am sure you can find a comp without any threading and make it match.

The pics are giving you that error becasue you have the "&" in the image name and the forum software thinks it is a dynamic link trying to pass a variable, rename your file with out the '&" and it should work.

I was referring to the actual extended magazine baseplates. I currently have the brass magwell from SSS on my Pro, and I am running the TF basepads as well. The 170mm basepads you have are pretty cool, how much did those cost you?

Sorry, I bugged Kenny into making them for me I do believe he intends to sell them but not sure when he will have them ready to be sold.

I'm guessing the thread on that comp is a 1/2"-28.
This is correct 1/2- 28 smaller than anything out there <_<

Huh ? Since a 9mm and a .223 are not "ecxactly" the same diameter ?? :blink:

I take it that your not "borrowing" ;) the comp from your AR ?? Did you drill it out ??

No why do you ask? do you think that is why I was getting some bullet strikes? :roflol:

Yes it is has been reamed for 9mm but since I did it in a hurry and didn't have a comp reamer I was getting a some bullet strikes, but that will be fixed soon enough.

Matt2ace,

I tried the LWD comps and IMHO they are not very effective at all. My bastardization is much more effective, not even close to be honest. The LWD comps only have a single expansion chamber (one baffle)with a boat load of ports off that chamber, but since the baffles are what do the work they just don't work. It's a shame because I thought it looked pretty bada$$ with it on.

Matt2ace,

I tried the LWD comps and IMHO they are not very effective at all. My bastardization is much more effective, not even close to be honest. The LWD comps only have a single expansion chamber (one baffle)with a boat load of ports off that chamber, but since the baffles are what do the work they just don't work. It's a shame because I thought it looked pretty bada$$ with it on.

I'll have to try the .223 on my Glock then. I've been using a LWD for 12000 major rds so far because that's all that

is available for the thread pitch on my LWD threaded barrel.

You think it is possible to weld up one side and turn it to the other side so you will have a regular comp?

I see the jam nut on the back. With the jam nut did you get enough thread on the comp so it is concentric

with the barrel?

OK I just got one from Midway for 34.00

Always wanted to try one but thought it was too heavy, but yours works!

Edited by coltgov

I'll have to try the .223 on my Glock then. I've been using a LWD for 12000 major rds so far because that's all that

is available for the thread pitch on my LWD threaded barrel.

You think it is possible to weld up one side and turn it to the other side so you will have a regular comp?

I see the jam nut on the back. With the jam nut did you get enough thread on the comp so it is concentric

with the barrel?

My Storm Lake barrel has plenty of threads but I did thin down the jam nut so I could get more threads on. Please please please be careful and very diligent when reaming out the comp. Bullet strikes on the comp can make for any thing from an annoying tumbling bullet to a catastrophic failure of the comp complete with metal coming back at you at very high rates of speed. I would highly recommend taking it to someone with a proper comp reamer so they can make certain it has the correct bullet clearance and bore alignment.

I doubt the welding would work that would be a boat load of weld on an already heavy piece of steel hanging off the end of the barrel. Depending on how soon Kenny can get the comps done I may throw mine on the mill and put a few top ports off the second two chambers just because I can. I was considering trying to weld a little on the sides of the first chamber just so I could open the top of it as well, but I just haven't figured out how to do is just yet.

My Storm Lake barrel has plenty of threads but I did thin down the jam nut so I could get more threads on.

If you need even more thread, toss the jam nut and use red loctite.

Use a lathe and drill bit if you don't have access to a reamer. ...when centering the comp in the chuck, use a live or dead center in the tail stock to ensure the comp is centered in the chuck.

You have a mill? ...why not just make one from scratch?

Darren

Edited by ExtremeShot