Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New player on the Block

Dan Burwell

My Storm Lake barrel has plenty of threads but I did thin down the jam nut so I could get more threads on. Please please please be careful and very diligent when reaming out the comp. Bullet strikes on the comp can make for any thing from an annoying tumbling bullet to a catastrophic failure of the comp complete with metal coming back at you at very high rates of speed. I would highly recommend taking it to someone with a proper comp reamer so they can make certain it has the correct bullet clearance and bore alignment.

I doubt the welding would work that would be a boat load of weld on an already heavy piece of steel hanging off the end of the barrel. Depending on how soon Kenny can get the comps done I may throw mine on the mill and put a few top ports off the second two chambers just because I can. I was considering trying to weld a little on the sides of the first chamber just so I could open the top of it as well, but I just haven't figured out how to do is just yet.

To weld up the sides of the chamber, just get some round steel stock that fits the gap and weld it. I did that with

my LWD comp to make it shoot flatter.

To get more threads you can copy the way the LWD comp is machined. Cut the threads from the comps opening so it

can go in over the barrel a little. Then drill and tap for a 1/16" 10/32 set screw. You may have to mill the area where the

set screw is first so it clears the guide rod. These barrels have a flat at the bottom to secure the Gemtech suppressors with a set screw.

Doing this will add a lot of support to the comp so it stays concentric to the bore. Like you said hitting baffes is bad!

I'll have JoJo at JV Dynamics do this. Open guns are his speciality.

Have said that he could just machine one out of a blank that looks like it belongs! But owning a Glock makes me super cheap!

Just got my AR15 Miculek comp. Instead of the jam nut, I used a peel washer

to index it. Also crush washers work as well. They are thin so almost all of the threads

on the comp can be used. Having it reamed at my gunsmith at the moment.

Now have to see if it is any better than my LWD comp. Hoping it will shoot like a .22 rimfire.

I got different results for the Miculek comp on my Glock 17.

Shot a match today. 6 stages.

It is only 50% as effective as my modified LWD major comp. Tack welding a sleeve to plug up 1 side

of the Miculek comp this week to make it a top ported comp only. It may be a keeper after that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry, I have been fairly busy but here are this pics with the new comp on, the jpoint melted in, and the slide racker installed. The gun is running well after sorting out several little problems.

openMP1a.jpg

openMP2a.jpg

openMP3a.jpg

coltgov, I bet that modified mikulek works pretty well.

Sorry, I have been fairly busy but here are this pics with the new comp on, the jpoint melted in, and the slide racker installed. The gun is running well after sorting out several little problems.

openMP1a.jpg

openMP2a.jpg

openMP3a.jpg

coltgov, I bet that modified mikulek works pretty well.

Who made the new comp and what is the thread pitch?

Thanks,

P

Darren

What thread pattern? How much for the blank?

As I recall, the thread was 1/2-28. It's been quite a while since I sent that to Dan. Since it was a one-off custom job I think I charged something like $50 or $60. ....I honestly don't remember. I remember looking up prices for other readily available comp blanks then adding a little more. Maybe Dan remembers what he paid.

Darren

Darren

What thread pattern? How much for the blank?

As I recall, the thread was 1/2-28. It's been quite a while since I sent that to Dan. Since it was a one-off custom job I think I charged something like $50 or $60. ....I honestly don't remember. I remember looking up prices for other readily available comp blanks then adding a little more. Maybe Dan remembers what he paid.

Darren

Darren,

I try very hard to forget prices as soon as possible that way when the wife asks I can answer with 100% honesty "I can't remember" so sorry I don't remember.

the thread pitch is 1/2x28. I am sure I have the other dimensions around here somewhere.

I did find a guy to cut some on a CNC for me with a different port set-up that I am optimistic will work a bit better. So we will see what happens with it.