Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X Games

rubberneck

Has the USPSA board ever approached ESPN about including a match in the X Games? I know ESPN used to have shooting disciplines in their great outdoor games so I doubt they would be reflexively anti-gun. I was just curious if the subject was ever broached.

That is a great idea! I think that if the average X-Games watcher that is into extreme sports saw what this sport looks like and the skills of the upper class shooters live and up close,(Especially with multiple camera angles and downrange cameras catching the action at the targets as they are being perforated by the rounds or knocked down) with the clock running in the corner of the screen, they would not only get hooked, but this sport would EXPLODE! This just screams for good camera work and good commentary from great shooters. I do not see how it could hurt the sport.

And, to add to that, if a competitor were to DQ during the match it would show that we are indeed safety minded at all times!

Man I like that idea! I have a friend in the movie business that I will shoot this over to and see what he says.

A few random comments on this topic.

ESPN showed a shooting sport similar to the ProAm format back in the 90's and then supposedly adopted an anti gun policy.

They also stopped showing any hunting stuff etc.

Phil Strader has said that this was his inspiration for the ProAm event. His goal was to showcase shooting in a spectator and media friendly format. I think he's on the right track.

A quick search of espns website didnt find an anti gun policy statement.

But, a quick google search for espn anti firearms etc produced some interesting stuff.

* I found many reports and links regarding the NFL's militant anti-gun policy. (thread drift hazard)

* I found an extremely pro gun editorial about gun bans in espn news.

* News reports about how the UK has softened up their competition firearms ban so they may actually have shooters in the 2012 olympics.

* Broadcast schedules for Tom Greshams Gun Talk Radio on ESPN radio.

* Lots of news stories about NBA players arrested for gun violations etc.

It would be interesting for someone from a sanctioning body to make a policy inquiry.

I suspect the response would be that they tailor their programming for commercial value.

Also, I think if they found themselves competing with VS or Outdoor Channel for advertising dollars, they'd put shooting and hunting shows on immediately.

Edited by The Antichrome

It would be interesting for someone from a sanctioning body to make a policy inquiry.

I suspect the response would be that they tailor their programming for commercial value.

Also, I think if they found themselves competing with VS or Outdoor Channel for advertising dollars, they'd put shooting and hunting shows on immediately.

That is the ticket, use the almighty dollar as leverage.

Somewhere I have tapes of the broadcasts of the old Pro-Ams. IIRC, it wasn't on ESPN, but one of the lesser sports/outdoor channels. I do have one tape of a goofy match where the participants had to shoot a round of golf, then a round of sporting clays and somehow the scores were tied together.

• 1 month later...

When I was working with NSSF on the ESPN Great Outdoors Games, we approached ESPN on adding a handgun/racegun competition. The ESPN guys were pretty excited, but it was harpooned by ESPN's parent, the Walt Disney Corporation, which is viciously antigun. We ran into the same thing when, before SHOOTING GALLERY, I was working with the producers of the old AMERICAN SHOOTER series on an updated version for ESPN...there was an agreement in principle in place, but it ran into a stone wall at the corporate level.

Michael B

Edited by MBaneACP

Somewhere I have tapes of the broadcasts of the old Pro-Ams. IIRC, it wasn't on ESPN, but one of the lesser sports/outdoor channels. I do have one tape of a goofy match where the participants had to shoot a round of golf, then a round of sporting clays and somehow the scores were tied together.

Roy,

The Colt Speed Shoot and S&W Pro-Am were some of the highest rated shows in the history of ESPN. It was an awesome event and one of the things that got me into the shooting sports. While Phil's revived, I've got ideas on a new sport myself and for good bad, a little more PC using the NRA "tombstone" target.

It'd be nice to be able to air on ESPN, however, I'd say that VS would be a better shot.

Rich

Sorry...not guns, but handguns.

ESPN does not allow handgun mfgs to even advertise their wares.

mb

PS: OUTDOOR CHANNEL is right now the only channel supporting the shooting sports.

Makes me even more glad that I pay a little extra for the Outdoor Channel. Got it primarily because of the Wednesday night shooting shows, but the hunting shows are good, too.

PS: OUTDOOR CHANNEL is right now the only channel supporting the shooting sports.

And Comcast won't let me subscribe.....

Dump Comcast. Lack of Outdoor Channel was the final straw that got me to switch to

Dish several years ago. Even with Dish it's usually like the old Springsteen song---

"57 channels and there's nothing on"------but I DO enjoy Wednesday's!!

• 2 weeks later...

What about the Mt. Dew Action Sports series? Its not affiliated with ESPN, though whichever network its on might have similiar problems.

I was thinking about a setup using high-end airsoft guns. Then you could use plexiglass walls and put it indoors. Also you would have access to power so you could build complex activators, movers, and basically build a real life SHOOTING SPORTS USA game with 360 degree visibility since the 6mm pellets would not punch through the plexi. I think a real high speed low drag extreme event could be built and introduce a whole new audience to the shooting sports.

What about the Mt. Dew Action Sports series? Its not affiliated with ESPN, though whichever network its on might have similiar problems.

I was thinking about a setup using high-end airsoft guns. Then you could use plexiglass walls and put it indoors. Also you would have access to power so you could build complex activators, movers, and basically build a real life SHOOTING SPORTS USA game with 360 degree visibility since the 6mm pellets would not punch through the plexi. I think a real high speed low drag extreme event could be built and introduce a whole new audience to the shooting sports.

I saw some Youtube videos that were like that but they didn't use plexiglass but it had a ton of spectators and the guns look sick. Very good idea just needs some support and it could come reality.

• 2 weeks later...