Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Our Hoover motor burned out after a year of use ( :angry: ), so we need some recommendations for a new one. Reviews out in the web0sphere say that Dyson and Miele's are the mac-daddy's. Please way in with model numbers and brands.

Edited by Putty

Dyson. We got one and it kicks @ss. Watch for specials and you can get them for ~$400. We got the DC14 during a perfect storm for $314. They had it at Target with a $100 gift card offer and I signed up for the Target Visa card.

They are much more expensive but they do have a 5 year warranty.

Edited by al503

Dyson. We got one and it kicks @ss. Watch for specials and you can get them for ~$400. We got the DC14 during a perfect storm for $314. They had it at Target with a $100 gift card offer and I signed up for the Target Visa card.

Woot.com has them almost every week. The stuff changes everyday.

+1 on the Dyson DC14 if you want a simple vacuum that actually works. Animals are great if you have pets as the others have said.

I got mine online from Best Vacuum. The price was the best I could find for a non-refurb (Woot! sells refurbs) with a full 5-year warranty. They ship QUICK!

http://www.bestvacuum.com/dyson-vacuum-cleaner.html

Edited by JoshF

i clean carpets......i gotta 23hp briggs and stratton double v-belted to a 350 cfm sutorbilt blower in my truck....that'll do it!! i can suck a golf ball thru a garden hose....maybe even a pomerainian.....

maybe even a pomerainian.....

Now that is something I'd pay to see...

--------

+1 on the Dyson animal

I can't believe I paid that much for a vacuum but really is worth it. It is HEPA rated which I "believe" as much as any others claiming HEPA - but I digress. It doesn't start my allergies and doesn't "smell" when using it as many just re-entrain the dirt back into the air.

My friends think I've lost it (the one who didn't already) but I can't say enough good about the thing...must stop telling everyone.

It does an excellent job and is fairly ergo too. The handle pulls out to make a wand the get into cracks and such...very simple.

Heck I even like to use it.

Now I have to go...and uhhh...change oil in car, load ammo or something a little more manly... :wub:

I know the dyson so I will speak for it.

It will clean. the vacum is strong.

For me the important part is that it doesn't cause my alergies to kick up after I have vacumed.

all other vacums that I have run just rearrange the dust.

Try hard to get one on sale.

They are manufacturer protected by a "Minimum Advertised Sale Price"

so call around. it is possible to get a lower price.

miranda

Carol's a vacuuming fanatic --- and after 21 years of marriage we're on our second Craftsman vacuum. The first one's still going strong --- but at some point the case got broken at a wheel attachment point which makes it harder to move around. Case parts were not available for repair (it was more than ten years old at the time), hence Sears vacuum #2 --- which has been with us since about 2001....

Amazon has the DC14 at $399 (no sales tax and free shipping).

Best Vacuum has DC14 for $348 w/no sales tax and free shipping. Check around, you'd be hard pressed to find cheaper (for a Dyson that is)

Guys, I dont mean to burst the Dyson bubble but I have a relative who works on nothing but vacuums all day and the best vacuums are Kirby, Electrolux,and Filter Queen, not in that order. They are all well built and have good warranties. Every Dyson or Oreck that comes into the shop ends up costing as much to fix as it cost new. My wife has had both elctrolux and Kirby and she like the kirby best. She vacuums the entire house every day,( dont ask it is her way fo relaxing or therapy) anyway the electrolux lasted 15 years and finally gave up. The kirby is 8 years old and going strong. These machines may cost what a good used limited gun run but they last so much longer. I dont follow what dysons and orecks costs, but anything that has that much plastic in it cant take the beating that the big 3 can as they are made with more metal housing or cast housings and can take abuse as my teenage daughter tried to disable it and couldnt. The only part I have to replace other than bags are the power cords were she justs works them into so the circuit gets broken. Save yourself some headache and buy a kirby.

I am not employeed or have stock in any of these companies.

Is there a HEPA rated Kirby? I knew I wanted HEPA before I knew about the dyson.

And yes the plastic is...well...plasticy. But I'm hoping for the best and they are still 1/3 the cost of a kirby IIRC.

I wonder what parts are breaking? Just so I know to be careful.

I've always figured that this is what I really need:

http://www.nikro.com/mold_remediation/hepa...red_vacuums.htm

bust my bubble ?

why am I laughing? ''tis only a vacume cleaner....

Hi scirocco38s,

about a repair bill for any vacum.... well I clean and oil myself when ever I squeek,

and I do the same for the machines.

my dyson has had a lot of hairs and carpet fuzz pulled out of the beater.

I am not claiming the machine is immune to normal problems.

let me be clear.

The dyson cleans.

No other vacum I have operated does half as good.

the day after I use the dyson, I do not have a layer of new dust on everything.

Repairs I have not had to do and I hope I don't.

however, if you want good cleaning, I can tell you mine cleans very well.

ymmv

We got 8 years out of the old Hoover and since we have pets and heat with wood we torture vacuums pretty badly. The current Hoover (bagless model) is still going strong though.

Kirby's are built hell for stout but they are still using 1950's technology for the most part.

When this Hoover dies a Dyson will take its place.

Consumer Reports has this as their clear #1: Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive 35922 - $300

The first Dyson on the list (8 places down) is the Dyson DC17 Absolute Animal - $550

A best buy: Eureka Boss Smart Vac 4870 - $150 (rated better than the Dyson)

Consumer Reports has this as their clear #1: Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive 35922 - $300

The first Dyson on the list (8 places down) is the Dyson DC17 Absolute Animal - $550

A best buy: Eureka Boss Smart Vac 4870 - $150

I am a store manager for Sears, and Dyson are good, but the Kenmore has been the king for the last three years.

If you can wait there is a Friends and Family Night Event Coming up in August where on a Sunday Night you can get the sale prices plus an additional

10%...It is the best time to buy, even the Dyson's.

A best buy: Eureka Boss Smart Vac 4870 - $150 (rated better than the Dyson)

I bought the kenmore after I read the consumer reports article. never thought I'd spend so much on a vac. but that thing sucks big time :cheers: soon after I moved into my new house, I filled 5 or 6 vac. bags with loose carpet fiber, just about every time I vacuumed the floor, I had to change bags. It gets expensive after a while, but I'd rather buy bags, than deal with all the billowing dust you get with emptying a bagless vac.

FWIW...The Sears Kenmore bagless version was number 2 on the list: Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive 36932 - $350

And, all thee of the ones that I mentioned rated better on per hair than the Dyson "Animal".