Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GA 2008 State Match website and general information

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mark!!! This should make things far less confusing.

Now that we have one thread let me make sure that the latest updates are posted:

The late fee date has been moved to 10/1. No late fees on apps postmarked by 10/1. Anything after will need a late fee with it. Those that have sent in payments with the late fee already will be getting a check back for the late fee.

There will be a competitor drawing for prizes in addition to the cash pay back.

I still have some all-day Friday spots for non-ROs who need to be home on Saturday.

I still could use some more ROs for those interested.

Match Web Site: www.gastatechampionships.com

USPSA Club Web Site: www.rbgcpracticalshooters.com

River Bend Gun Club Web Site: www.rbgc.org

Please note: The River Bend web site denotes that some of the club events at River Bend have ammo restrictions, this is not the case for the USPSA events held here. All typical USPSA rules regarding ammo will prevail. River Bend is a cold range so all firearms should be unloaded and bagged when entering the property. There will be a safe table at the entrance to the range we will be using for those who need to unload and stow a carry gun.

The match hotels are listed on the Match Web Site.

Don't forget the Moonshine Festival is going on just up the road this same weekend so bring the family and enjoy some extracurricular activities!

Thanks!

Mark Leeber

• 3 weeks later...

Should be a great turnout! Apps and sponsors coming in like crazy in the last 2 weeks. I think the uncertainty of the economy caused some hesitation early on.

Thanks!

Mark

P.S. the rumor that the match may be cancelled due to lack of RO help is entirely not true. But, I can always use more ROs!!!!

Okay everyone, a little update.

The www.GAStateChampionships.com website has been updated with some links that include the updated matchbook, squadding schedule and stages. The squadding schedule and stages are included in the matchbook if you just want to DL one file.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Kevin Allen

Edited by Morphire

Nights should be in the high 50s or low 60s days will be in the 70s with the possibility of an 80 here or there. Typically a windy time of year for us, should be beautiful!!!! Shorts are definitely the plan as it warms up quickly.

As I recall my last trip to Orlando took me between 7 and 8 hours from my house so add another 45 to the range. I do have a lead foot though. And I would definitely check on construction I cannot remember the last time I was in FL and there was not construction backing up traffic.

It should be a great weekend!!

Nights should be in the high 50s or low 60s days will be in the 70s with the possibility of an 80 here or there. Typically a windy time of year for us, should be beautiful!!!! Shorts are definitely the plan as it warms up quickly.

As I recall my last trip to Orlando took me between 7 and 8 hours from my house so add another 45 to the range. I do have a lead foot though. And I would definitely check on construction I cannot remember the last time I was in FL and there was not construction backing up traffic.

It should be a great weekend!!

I just traveled to and from Orlando this week via the Florida Turnpike and I-75. There were no construction issues that held up traffic. For those of you coming through south Georgia they tend to be rather random about the speed limit in the Valdosta and Tifton areas where it can go from 70 to 50 to 65 seemingly for the heck of it so pay attention to the signage since it is easier to make quota near the drops.

Mark is dead on about the travel time from Orlando. I actually think you can go from Orlando to the range in 8 hours but yield to his knowledge.

BTW: We are starting to see gas prices in Georgia for less than $3.10 at some stations.

Charles

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 2008 Georgia State Championship!

We are 10 days from match day and things are shaping up nicely. Almost everyone is squadded so please go to the Self Squadding section of of the USPSA web site (under additional content), or at this link http://www.uspsa.org/squadding/ and make sure that you are signed up for the right Division. Many folks have asked me to change their Division and I can guarantee that I forgot at least one. Please make sure you choose the right match when you go online to check, I have had several concerned calls because folks were looking at squadding for the wrong match...this is the 2008 Georgia State Championship.

We have 140 competitors with 2 or 3 apps coming in every day and there is room for more so please encourage your buddies to join us. I also have room for more ROs so if you know someone who wants to shoot free on Friday in exchange for ROing on Saturday and Sunday please let me know or have them contact me.

See you in 10 days!!!

Thank you,

Mark Leeber

Match Director,

RBGC Practical Shooters - GA23!

<br />
Nights should be in the high 50s or low 60s days will be in the 70s with the possibility of an 80 here or there. Typically a windy time of year for us, should be beautiful!!!! Shorts are definitely the plan as it warms up quickly.<br /><br />As I recall my last trip to Orlando took me between 7 and 8 hours from my house so add another 45 to the range. I do have a lead foot though. And I would definitely check on construction I cannot remember the last time I was in FL and there was not construction backing up traffic.<br /><br />It should be a great weekend!!
<br /><br />I just traveled to and from Orlando this week via the Florida Turnpike and I-75. There were no construction issues that held up traffic. For those of you coming through south Georgia they tend to be rather random about the speed limit in the Valdosta and Tifton areas where it can go from 70 to 50 to 65 seemingly for the heck of it so pay attention to the signage since it is easier to make quota near the drops.<br /><br />Mark is dead on about the travel time from Orlando. I actually think you can go from Orlando to the range in 8 hours but yield to his knowledge.<br /><br />BTW: We are starting to see gas prices in Georgia for less than $3.10 at some stations. <br /><br />Charles<br />
<br /><br /><br />

There are no sudden drops in speed near Valdosta but when you near Tifton it drops back 5 mph.

Mr. Bond how did you avoid the 15 miles of construction on I-75 in Cordele where the max speed is 60 mph and only 2 very tight lanes?

Atlanta traffic and the by-passes are all terrible @ 0800 and 1700 hours. Well they are really bad an hour before and an hour after those times as well. Best advice is to get near the match the night before you shoot and get some rest.

I was just checking out Google Earth to get an overall view of the trip. For directions coming from Orlando, they have you pick up I-475/GA-408 for a while, then rejoin I-75 before Atlanta. Any rhyme or reason to this ? Also they don't send you around Atlanta on I-285 - wouldn't that be better, especially if you are in the 'bad' hours ?

JimInFL

I was just checking out Google Earth to get an overall view of the trip. For directions coming from Orlando, they have you pick up I-475/GA-408 for a while, then rejoin I-75 before Atlanta. Any rhyme or reason to this ? Also they don't send you around Atlanta on I-285 - wouldn't that be better, especially if you are in the 'bad' hours ?

JimInFL

475 is just the Macon bypass and you do want to use it. As far as 285, that will likely be your best alternative. They are doing construction in Atlanta on 75 on the weekends.

Mr. Bond how did you avoid the 15 miles of construction on I-75 in Cordele where the max speed is 60 mph and only 2 very tight lanes?

There was the construction you cite but it did not hold us up at all. Maybe it was just because the traffic was light and while the max legal speed was 60 mph, I did not see anyone paying that much attention but then again, last weekend half of the Georgia State Patrol was directing traffic at the Ga State Fair in Perry.

JimInFL

475 is just the Macon bypass and you do want to use it. As far as 285, that will likely be your best alternative. They are doing construction in Atlanta on 75 on the weekends.

The 475 around the west end of Macon is actually a short cut for those of you traveling north.

Charles

<br />
<br /><br />There was the construction you cite but it did not hold us up at all. Maybe it was just because the traffic was light and while the max legal speed was 60 mph, I did not see anyone paying that much attention but then again, last weekend half of the Georgia State Patrol was directing traffic at the Ga State Fair in Perry.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

the state fair could have helped, but I got stopped by a Cordele PD for going 70 in that 60 mph construction zone at 0800 on my way to the last cool springs match so travelers beware

<br />
<br /><br />There was the construction you cite but it did not hold us up at all. Maybe it was just because the traffic was light and while the max legal speed was 60 mph, I did not see anyone paying that much attention but then again, last weekend half of the Georgia State Patrol was directing traffic at the Ga State Fair in Perry.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

the state fair could have helped, but I got stopped by a Cordele PD for going 70 in that 60 mph construction zone at 0800 on my way to the last cool springs match so travelers beware

Sorry about the citation but at least since it was not more than 15 over resulting in it going on your record.

<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />the state fair could have helped, but I got stopped by a Cordele PD for going 70 in that 60 mph construction zone at 0800 on my way to the last cool springs match so travelers beware<br />
<br /><br />Sorry about the citation but at least since it was not more than 15 over resulting in it going on your record.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Oh I didn't get a ticket ;)

I told him I was taking my wife to shoot in an IPSC match and he let us go.

As sponsor coordinator for the match, thought I'd chime in and let everyone know I think this match is going to be pretty awesome. The stages are up and design looks to be excellent. While this is a cash payback match, generous sponsor contributions have created a competitor/RO drawing prize pool that includes a dozen guns with the opportunity for one or two more before all is said and done. Not bad for a match with only 140 some odd competitors. Should be a great time in the north Georgia mountains. Here's the link to the match website:

http://www.gastatechampionships.com/

Edited by cpty1

I can only echo the comments of Chris Patty. The bottom line is that if we end up with 150 shooters, and we will, about one in nine shooters are going to walk away with a gun, many of the rest with a really nice prize, and all will be shooting for money which everyone can use. If that is not good enough, there is a solid chance that you are going to get to shoot on the prettiest range in the area at the absolute most beautiful time of year with the guarantee of no bugs and a strong chance of NO SWEAT!

Charles