Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New folding knife recommendations?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

If you're looking for speedy open, check out the zero tolerance 0300/01/02.

Here's a link to them on my site. Once you select either the 033, 0301, or 0302, scroll down to see a flash video of me opening one of them. Not an auto, but one of the sweetest assisted opening knives.

Zero Tolerance 0300 Series

If you call me, mention this post, and speak to me in Russian, I'll give you a free Lansky Quick-Fix sharpener.

:rolleyes:

Okay, the Russian is optional. In fact, I wouldn't understand you anyway. The rest will do it.

My contact information is on my site.

Thanks!

Mike

• 3 years later...
I love my Benchmade Mini Griptilian. Affordable, strong locking system and holds an edge well.

Which one...? The serrated one or the other?

I have the half serrated blade.

I just picked one of those up - I'm a big fan of it.

be

SOG Aegis is a pretty good assisted opening. Nice and fast.

I've had the following knives in this order:

Benchmade Mini-Griptilian; best all around for durability and ease of opening.

SOG Aegis; Fast opening, was pretty durable.

ColdSteel Lawman; very beefy, extra grippy handle (G10), but a little bit slower to deploy.

I'm still using the ColdSteel Lawman because I have been remembering to leave it in the car when I fly. The last Benchmade and SOG Aegis were TSA sacrifices.

I've had no real complaints about any of the above. All of them fill the role of EDC, it just kinda depends where your priorities are.

I carry the SOG Mini Aegis every day. It is the lightest one that I have found that opens really quick, has the right sized blade (for me) and has relatively good steel.

I also like the SOG twitch II.

I wear khaki's most of the time and both of these are thin and light weight.

Benchmade barrage is one of the finest knives I've owned. Assist opening giving an easy,wicked fast blade. Lock on top of knife not near the blade. Great feel. Super steel.

http://knifehog.com/p-1677-benchmade-barrage-knife-581bk.aspx

It's interesting that knifehog and bladehq have the barrage 581 for exactly the same price. That is a clean, nice looking knife.

Brian, check out the Benchmade Rift #9555. Very nice knife. Scince I got mine I havent even looked at my others. Add an S to the part number if you prefer serrated. The G10 scales are among the coolest ive seen. Zoom the photo in close on blade hq to see the detail.

I decided I needed a daily carry knife that if I forget and take it to the airport I will not feel all butt hurt about the TSA taking it away.

I ended up with a Benchmade Vex ( that they have discontinued :( ) and for about $ 45, it is priced right and since it is a Benchmade, it is all that.

10750bp.jpg

Brian (and this is sooo you),

Except for a fixed blade, nothing is faster than a properly deployed "waved" opening knife. The act of pulling it from the pocket is what opens it. There is no secondary action required.

Emerson has the rights to the "wave". And, Spyderco has their permission to use it.

I carry a Spyderco Waved Delica 4 every day. I've been using it for a few years now. (so, maybe my fear of losing a $100+ knife is misplaced) Mine works as an everyday tool, plus it does open beer bottles. ;) I would have went with their waved Endura 4, but that is probably too big for me to get away with at work without getting the stink eye.

Check out the video from SouthNarc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-p4YmUJ4PA

I'm with Flex on Emerson's Wave feature. That being said, I can't get my Emerson to hold an edge and the fit and finish on my Waved Delica and Endura isn't what I'd like it to be (plus the pocket clips seem to be made of tin foil... I replaced them both with SS versions after breaking them around the lanyard holes).

Lately I've been carrying Kershaws. The Piston and Knockout that I recently picked up are what I'll be carrying until something better comes around, hopefully a Kershaw with a Wave. Of course, if I get bored, I have a Rake, a Junk Yard Dog 2.2, a Turbulence, and a Speed Bump. I might add an Echelon.

I managed to get a special run of a benchmade 710 with the m390 steel. It is a fantastic knife. Easy to forget in your pocket for such a large knife and I can sweat on it all day without worrying about it. Fantastic edge holding ability. I sharpen with a spyderco sharpmaker, another fantastic product.