Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

range master DQ's lady revo shooter

sci

10.5.12 Handling live or dummy ammunition (including practice or training rounds, snap caps and empty cases), loaded magazines or loaded speed loading devices in a Safety Area.

USPSA requires 20 shooters in a division at a level 3 match to award Nationals slots at that match. 2 months ago Summer Blast had 25 Revo shooters. Then a few had to drop out. By match date, I was down to 21. On the Thursday that the match started, I had another Revo shooter withdraw & we had only 20 & couldn't afford to lose another one.

Late morning Sunday, chrono notified me that two shooters had gone 'sub minor' & I "heard through the staff grapevine" that one of them was Revo shooter Sue Irish. We don't announce those things over the walkie-talkies, so I was waiting on the official paperwork. We would have had 19 Revo shooters & no Nationals slots.

Before the paperwork arrived from Chrono to Stats, Sue walked into the Safety Area & placed some ammo on the table (while RM Gary Stevens stood nearby). She was DQ'd for the safety violation. There are still 20 Revo shooters on the match list & the USPSA will award 3 Nationals slots to Revolver shooters.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2008 Summer Blast Statistician

I was just checking the Summer Blast scores, and was disappointed to see Sue listed as DQed.

Then saw the video and read this thread.

WOW! Talk about taking one for the gipper!

WTG SUE!

[OK. Who dreamed this one up? :cheers: ]

I was just checking the Summer Blast scores, and was disappointed to see Sue listed as DQed.

Then saw the video and read this thread.

WOW! Talk about taking one for the gipper!

WTG SUE!

[OK. Who dreamed this one up? :cheers: ]

Not sure who dreamed it up, but they certainly were thinking quickly.

As a side note, I wanted to mention that in the meantime, Match Director Larry Houck told me that if we really did drop to 19 revolver shooters, he would get a revolver & shoot the match. He was completely serious. Larry is a very competitive guy & he was in contention for a class win at that point in the match. He was willing to put that aside to see that the revolver shooters did not lose the slots to the Nationals. When I pointed out that he would be a 're-entry' and that it wouldn't count, he started trying to round up revolver gear for his wife Sandy.

Right after that I was informed that by Gary Stevens that Sue Irish had DQ'd.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

I'm not sure I understand this. Someone was DQ'd for not making minor, then DQ'd for a safety violation but their score still counted in the match?

You are not DQ'd for going sub-minor. You are essentially "not in the match." You can continue shooting, but your scores do not count and you are dropped from the list as if you were not there.

When you DQ, nothing counts - You stop shooting, and stats cannot enter stage scores or chrono results. But your name still appears as a shooter in the match. You count as an attendee.

We do not have to send USPSA fees in for "sub-minor" shooters, because it is as if they are not there. Everyone who DQ's is still a match participant & we are required to send in fees.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

Same here.

I was standing there when Larry came running up asking for revolver gear. Whatever it took, he was going to find a way to strap up somebody and get us to the magic 20 needed to get those slots for next year's Nationals. I think Cliff is the schemer who came up with the DQ concept, and Sue Irish agreed to do it for the benefit of the team.

With the help of a friendly match staff, the revolver shooters found a unique and unconventional (yet effective) means of solving the problem--which is one of the things we do best! :cheers:

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :D

EDIT: On another front, I think they should amend the rule to include shooters that go sub minor for the competitor count only. The rule is for total numbers and I think it "almost" had unintended consequences. We shouldn't penalize the whole revo contingent for someone going sub minor.

Edited by JThompson

I agree with JThompson. Sub-minor shooters paid and they shot stage in good faith up until the Chrono, so they should be counted. The penalty should be to them (just don't count) not to the Division as a whole.

Kudos to Sue for stepping up and taking one on the chin for the sport.

Edited by JFlowers

Way to go Sue!!! I think from now on at Summer Blast you should have a gun caddy sponsored by all the revo guys and gals. Maybe a rick-shaw and a masseuse for between stages would be in order as well. You all definitely get an "A+" for gaming Sue back into the match results. See what happens when a bunch of wheelgunners know the rulebook!!! Gotta love a DQ that brings a round of applause. What a nice change of pace. Maybe we need different "levels" of DQ's...that one would probably be 1'st degree with pre-meditation!!! :cheers:

In ICORE if you don't make chrono you get 360 seconds added to your time. you are effectively out of the match but you get to finish and walk the prize table.

Maybe USPSA needs some sort of rule to cover the missing Chrono scenario. that does not punish other shooters like it was stated above.

Way to go sue.